New NatGeo Show featuring CO law agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve2003

Anyone check out Rocky Mountain Law on National Geographic channel yet? Only three episodes have aired and they all feature CO law agencies! (Finally, something other than the early 1990 COPS episodes featuring Denver PD)

So far they have had a mix of Boulder, Grand, & Eagle SO. One episode even features the hunt for Travis Sandlin.

To keep it on the topic of radios, one of the Eagle SO deputies working a snowstorm on Vail Pass was monitoring CSP (4C callsign heard in the background). Nice they havent dubbed in fake radio traffic as well!

Next episode airs Wed night @ 7PM MST

NC5267

Eagle County seems to be featured a lot. Do they use two dispatch channels as the database says. Hear them calling Vail and then there unit number a lot. Vail 1235

Steve2003

Yes, East Law & West Law are the two dispatch channels. Don't monitor them much, but I believe "Vail" is their dispatch center. "1235" would be the SO deputy's designator.

Eagle County seems to be featured a lot. Do they use two dispatch channels as the database says. Hear them calling Vail and then there unit number a lot. Vail 1235

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
One episode even features the hunt for Travis Sandlin.

Travis Sandlin is reference http://forums.radioreference.com/co...467-first-ever-jeffco-jail-escapee-paged.html in case the name doesn't ring a bell. I'm actually really surprised that they had a camera crew with them at the time. I don't recall too many Colorado agencies doing much in releasing videos of their activities to the public.

Nice they havent dubbed in fake radio traffic as well!

No fake radio traffic, but they are fairly creative with some of the video and audio editing. It was interesting to see a University of Colorado PD car apparently patrolling Eagle County.

Interesting to also see the inclusion of completely unrelated incident, but portraying them as if they were part of the same incident. The Fugitive Manhunt episode certainly used that to their advantage for some of the Boulder County scenes.

Still, it's pretty great that we finally have something to watch that is closer to home!

I did hear fake dubbed radio traffic during some scenes with Boulder County. They were using language and codes we don't use at Boulder County.

dw2872

I wouldn't be surprised with dubbed in fake radio traffic, but it is also possible that could have been radio audio from another agency that the officer was also monitoring. I don't know about Boulder but I am always hearing officers from CSP and other agencies telling the dispatcher about stuff they hear on other radio channels before the dispatcher gets a call on it.

dw2872

Off Road Remains (Season 1, Episode 2, aired on July 15, 2015)

was filmed...

- Wednesday, October 22, 2014 from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm in Boulder County
- Friday, November 14, 2014 from 2 pm until late that night in Gypsum in Eagle County
- Unknown date in Grand County (all they showed was them arresting a DUI snowmobile driver)

Too bad the RadioReference archives don't go back that far...

dw2872

Screenshot from the episode above of Eagle County Sheriff Sgt George Dow talking to Deputy Jake Best over one of his two radios (probably the VHF one?).

Attachments

• Sgt George Dow talking over the radio to Deputy Jake Best.jpg
    Sgt George Dow talking over the radio to Deputy Jake Best.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,021

Spitfire8520

Screenshot from the episode above of Eagle County Sheriff Sgt George Dow talking to Deputy Jake Best over one of his two radios (probably the VHF one?).

Looks like a 800 mhz stubby antenna

Yeah, it looks like he hiked up with only a single radio on his duty belt towards the beginning of the episode. You can see the lapel microphone attached to the radio. I would guess that he was trying to get a better signal by elevating the antenna. I would imagine that extremely rural areas probably doesn't have the best DTR/repeater coverage. Boulder County Deputy Menger did something similar in Fugitive Manhunt to call in that medical, which on the topic of dates appears to be filmed mid-November, 2014 in near zero degree weather (a full month after Sandlin's capture).

Last edited:

dw2872

Ah, good catch! I didn't realize that was the same radio. And speaking of the fugitive episode...

Fugitive Manhunt (Season 1, Episode 3, aired on July 22, 2015)

was filmed...

- October 6, 2014 thru October 16, 2014 at 8:45 am in Boulder County (near Sunshine Canyon Dr and Poorman Rd) for the manhunt
- Monday, November 10, 2014 on Vail Pass in Eagle County
- November 15 thru 18, 2014 in Grand County (near Meadow Creek Reservoir area northeast of Fraser)

At the end of the last scene of this episode, just seconds before the end, you can hear Boulder County Deputy Joe Menger's radio (on BLUE NW). The audio you hear is "We have the suspect in custody..." and he replies, "Affirm".

This is what you didn't hear that they cut out. The part before that where Deputy Menger says,
"Command, this is 568 on BLUE NW... I just want to make sure that we do have the party in custody and I'll take down my spike strips."

Then 525 (in command) replies, "We have the subject in custody. COULD YOU PLEASE STAY IN POSITION UNTIL WE FINISH SEARCHING THE HOUSE".

THEN Deputy Menger says, "Affirm".

Here is the audio from BLUE NW for that little sound bite (thanks to Steve's feed for catching that):
https://zello.com/shared/2KkV

You can see the BCSO car radio where it says "LAW BLUE NW" on the display too.

Attachments

• Law BLUE NW in car radio.jpg
    Law BLUE NW in car radio.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:

Spitfire8520

And just to clarify, I was referencing the "can't feel my feet" call to differentiate from the two medical calls. It never dropped below freezing during Sandlin.

Last edited:

dw2872

Exactly! Here is a shot of what you are talking about with Joe Menger.

And they would obviously cut out all the radio traffic where the dispatcher said they could not make out what they said over the radio (prompting them to hold it in the air)!

Attachments

• Dep Joe Menger calling in medical for woman that cannot feel her feet 3.jpg
    Dep Joe Menger calling in medical for woman that cannot feel her feet 3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 766

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
During the Sandlin episode, a Boulder Co Deputy was using a physical map book with a Map #23 open. What is this map book they have?

dw2872

Attachments

• BCSO Map 23.jpg
    BCSO Map 23.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 565
  • BCSO Map 23 actual.jpg
    BCSO Map 23 actual.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 636

MikeyB

One thing that didn't make sense to me is where the Boulder County deputies did the welfare check where they had to pop the hinges. They called for medical and then it shows a Grand County EMS ambulance. Was that just a video from something else (they did do the S&R in Grand County) because it doesn't seem like Grand County EMS would be anywhere in Boulder County, even on mutual aid.

dw2872

One thing that didn't make sense to me is where the Boulder County deputies did the welfare check where they had to pop the hinges. They called for medical and then it shows a Grand County EMS ambulance. Was that just a video from something else (they did do the S&R in Grand County) because it doesn't seem like Grand County EMS would be anywhere in Boulder County, even on mutual aid.

Good catch. They inserted a video clip of Grand County EMS coming up a driveway when they said the Boulder County woman was "safely in the care of paramedics" and then they pan back to the deputy looking at her medication.

Boulder and Grand counties do share a border between them but this incident is right in the middle of Boulder county. The location where her tent was located is shown in the map picture below in the red circle and map 22 is highlighted in a red square on the sub-map to the right of it.

Lefthand Fire and AMR responded to this incident.

Attachments

• Grand Co EMS during Boulder bed check scene.jpg
    Grand Co EMS during Boulder bed check scene.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 487
  • Woman cant feel legs location -.jpg
    Woman cant feel legs location -.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:

Spitfire8520

Good catch. They inserted a video clip of Grand County EMS coming up a driveway when they said the Boulder County woman was "safely in the care of paramedics" and then they pan back to the deputy looking at her medication.

Boulder and Grand counties do share a border between them but this incident is right in the middle of Boulder county. The location where her tent was located is shown in the map picture below in the red circle and map 22 is highlighted in a red square on the sub-map to the right of it.

Lefthand Fire and AMR responded to this incident.

Boulder County has 2 medical calls in that episode back to back. The "can't feel my feet" call with the tent, Lefthand FD, and AMR was the 1st and not related to Grand County EMS. The welfare check was the 2nd one and has the Grand County EMS shot in it. If Grand County EMS did mutual aid for Boulder County, then I do not believe that they are handled by Boulder County directly.

Last edited:

dw2872

Oh you are right. I keep getting those two calls mixed up. Yep the tent call is the one I put on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.