Encryption BCD436hp Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping someone can give me some help with an issue I found while programming my new bcd436hp. It took quite a few hours for me searching on here, watching videos and just trial and error to program the scanner but I finally got it all how I like it. Coming from only ever using Radio Shack scanners in the past, this one was quite a bit harder for me to figure out. Anyway the issue I have found and I don't know how to fix is some of the talk groups that are listed in the database say encryption used and the scanner doesn't seem to pick them up. I know the 436hp skips encrypted traffic but the problem is that talk group isn't encrypted and I would like to hear them so I would like to know if there is a setting in the software that I can set it to broadcast the encrypted channel.

I am positive it isn't really and encrypted talk group. I have been listening to it for years and I also have my pro-18 going to make sure the 436hp picks up all the same traffic that the pro-18 does. Everything has worked very well on the 436 except for the talk groups that have the notes of encryption used.

I tried searching the forum and google and didn't have any luck.

mancow

Database Admin
Build a favorites list and add that channel in manually. Also, submit an update to the database so they can fix the entry.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
I have the same radio as you (436HP) and haven't had that problem. I live in an area where there are encrypted systems and this radio isn't capable of decrypting it.

What area are you in? Maybe someone living in the same area can help you out.

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Sheboygan County Wisconsin. Sheboygan County uses a Motorola Type II but will be going P25 within the next couple of months.

marksmith

I have the same radio as you (436HP) and haven't had that problem. I live in an area where there are encrypted systems and this radio isn't capable of decrypting it.

What area are you in? Maybe someone living in the same area can help you out.
His radio isn't capable of decoding encryption either. What he is saying is the actual talkgroup is not encrypted but is in the database that way, preventing him from listening. I have run into similar issues on home patrol radios including the HP-1 and HP-2 as well as the x36 radios.

Mancow indicated the correct solutions to fix the scanlist in the radio, and the talkgroup in the database.

One of many reasons not to scan the full database and use favorites lists. The only negative is you have to add any new groups manually, but this is OK because you can also run the favorites list in SEARCH mode.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
All of my county's law enforcement talkgroups are encrypted, but the State Troopers don't transmit encrypted. I have the County Sheriff dispatch TG programmed in my 436, & I hear the troopers, but I don't hear dispatch or the deputies; it just cuts off. So that tells me that even if a TG is listed as encrypted in the database, you can still program it in & monitor any transmissions on it that are in the clear.

Redneck0410

In a way, they kind of do. A tag of "M" shows in the database as mixed analog/digital, however, it really means mixed encryption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyager

But, if you used that for Partial Encryption, how would you differentiate it from mixed analog/digital? A P could be added for Partial Encryption.

Redneck0410

I had asked a question on that topic some time ago... I'll try and find it in my archives and post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
I haven't gotten around to entering these talk groups in manually but I did send in to update the database. I got an email back saying that the talk groups are marked encrypted in the description and not the mode. I can't figure out what the issue is then. I entered these right off the database along with all the other talk groups when I did the programming and all the other talk groups are working correctly.

mancow

Database Admin
I can't understand why encryption is noted at all. Let the user figure that out and decide to monitor or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.