Hold the phone, Central! Cellphone radiation can cause cancer: study

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

"The scientists were right — your cell phone can give you cancer. There have long been whispers of a cancer connection from your cell — and a new study backs up the claims. 'These data are a clear sign of the real risks this kind of radiation poses for human health,' study author Igor Yakymenko said." -- NYDailyNews.com

Hold the phone, Central! Cellphone radiation can cause cancer: study -- NYDailyNews.com

SCPD

QRT
I'm really not surprised.
Cell phones are at 1.9 GHz. Microwave ovens are at 2.4 GHz.
Hmmmm.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Hmmmm.

But these phones put out, what, 0.6 watts? Not even enough to get water warm in a microwave, so is it really an apples-to-apples comparison? The old bag phones with external antennas were 3 watts - five times the power, and I don't recall scientists claiming that people got cancer from them.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's pretty easy to confirm. Just look around at how many brain-damaged people roam the Earth today! :confused:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
But these phones put out, what, 0.6 watts? Not even enough to get water warm in a microwave, so is it really an apples-to-apples comparison?

Agreed. You hold the phone to your head, and the microwave transmits into a faraday cage... Not even close to being able to compare.

The old bag phones with external antennas were 3 watts - five times the power, and I don't recall scientists claiming that people got cancer from them.

Ahhh, the problem with this is the inverse square law.

Being almost a metre away from the antenna on 800MHz @ 3w is probably less of a radiation dose than holding a 700/800/1700/1900/2100/2500MHz 0.6w phone to your head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Hmmmm.

Makes no difference. Crank up a 144MHz transmitter to say 1 or 2kw and feed it to a Yagi pointed at some one will have the same effect as a microwave...

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Agreed. You hold the phone to your head, and the microwave transmits into a faraday cage... Not even close to being able to compare.

Ahhh, the problem with this is the inverse square law.

Being almost a metre away from the antenna on 800MHz @ 3w is probably less of a radiation dose than holding a 700/800/1700/1900/2100/2500MHz 0.6w phone to your head.

And you may well be right. I'm not going to worry about it either way. :D

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
How about the Bluetooth factor? Many people wear them on their head.

Sent via Tapatalk

Good question.

It would be interesting to see, down the road 20 years what, if any, impact is seen with respect to bluetooth.

My guess is we will never see a difference. Why? Simple, a cell phone is transmitting 23.5-ish dbm more power than a class 2 BT headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.