scanner on plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I travel all the time with a scanner and ht's. Also Yaesu FT-817. Never had any problems. TSA does not pay any attention (so far). Not prohibited by any airline I've used. Of course, I have a copy of my license with me, but that should not make any difference.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Denied to operate on the plane, but just to carry? Don't ask the stewardesses, ask the airline. They are the one that set the policies. The stewardess probably is programmed to say no to any such requests. Don't pull it out and play with it on the plane - not your radio either.

SCPD

QRT
You shouldn't have a problem carrying it in a bag. TSA cam barely tell anyone what the radio they use is capable of let alone playing customs searching for specific radio contraband. It is legal. They may ask you to turn it on at the security check process so they can validate it's a legit electronic device. If asked it don't hurt to say it's a weather radio. Which Basically it is also. Just throw the noaa channels on. If anything you'll get a TSA kid in love with radios and scanners asking more of where can he buy one like that then anything else. You should be fine.

Voyager

Different airlines have different policies about operation. But I've heard of none that restrict non-operation carry-on.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner on plane

I have taken a scanner and amateur HT on international fights without problem.

nec911

As a person who travels often on government credentials and orders, even I always error on the side of caution. If I don't need my radio or scanner then I pack it securely in my checked baggage.

I would hate to be the cause of a delay or the reason that there is a return to terminal.

joeuser

The Wretched
Denied to operate on the plane, but just to carry? Don't ask the stewardesses, ask the airline. They are the one that set the policies. The stewardess probably is programmed to say no to any such requests. Don't pull it out and play with it on the plane - not your radio either.

lol, I saw what u did there!

joeuser

The Wretched
As a person who travels often on government credentials and orders, even I always error on the side of caution. If I don't need my radio or scanner then I pack it securely in my checked baggage.

I would hate to be the cause of a delay or the reason that there is a return to terminal.

Regardless though, between the videos of guys being terribly rough with luggage & theft from luggage - I can certainly understand taking a radio as carry-on.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Have always brought in my carry on.

Even went to China & Hong Kong and back, no issues just don't turn it on in flight.

Always have a current copy your license and a few name (biz) cards.

Only once had security ask to see it light up.

Other wise out of sight out of mind,

Never checked due to theft concerns.

It was just part of the computer bag accessories.

HH

bharvey2

I flew domestically last month with a backpack full of electronics. Laptop, small tablet, scanner and Ham HT. I didn't have any problem at all with the radios. The laptop was the only item of concern. It had to be taken out of the backpack and placed in a separate tub going through the conveyor/scanner. I took the antennas off of the radios before I placed them in the backpack. I did it mainly to prevent damage during travel but who knows, that may have contributed to them being "low key". Mind you, I checked the TSA website and couldn't find anything stating that the radios were a "no-no" in carry on. Operation was a different matter.

pallen444

scanner on plane update.

went to San Diego from Wichita ks and back from san diego just in my carry on did not take it out in the plane and tsa did not say anything just to update.

joeuser

The Wretched
went to San Diego from Wichita ks and back from san diego just in my carry on did not take it out in the plane and tsa did not say anything just to update.

Should have taken it out & listened to the air traffic! Worst that would happen is you get tazered by an Air Marshal (if they picked that flight to ride) or a flight attendant would get after you!

Status
Not open for further replies.