Possible bug: DSD+ 1.080t Slot 2 Simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingfan360

I've noticed what I think is an error in decoding DMR simplex......anyone else seen this?

The problem appears when decoding transmissions on Slot 2: it decodes as Slot 1.
Slot 1 transmissions decode correctly (or maybe it's that ALL simplex communications are decoded by DSD+ as Slot 1???)

Raw sample here:
Zippyshare.com - raw_dmr_simplex_slot2.wav

This sample should decode as:
DMR, simplex call DCC5, TG34000, RID=1. Slot =2
...but decodes as:
DMR, simplex call DCC5, TG34000, RID=1. Slot =1

It decodes correctly using DMRDecode.
My DSD+ setup correctly decodes Slot 2 on repeater outputs

I've no idea if this behavior has been present in previous releases.

Anyone any ideas?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'll give it a try this afternoon and see if my results are similar. I also want to try simplex on a TRBO Gen2 radio (XPR3500) with the dual capacity direct mode enabled.

racingfan360

...looks like 1.090 exhibits this bug too (shows up as Slot 1 in the recordings and should be slot 2)

Forts did you get to try this out at all?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Just gave it a try now. Hytera PD-782, simplex comms... Slot 2 does indeed show up as Slot 1.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Actually I don't believe this is a bug at all, now that I think about it. A channel programmed for the same RX / TX is viewed as talk around by the radio and is using the entire 12.5khz bandwidth. So the time slot becomes irrelevant. And I just confirmed this here... I programmed one portable on 456.0 slot 1, a second portable on 456.0 slot 2.... And they can talk to each other just fine.

So... To have simultaneous conversations on different slots on simplex you need a TRBO 2nd gen radio that has the Dual Capacity Direct Mode feature. I believe Hytera has a version of this too.

racingfan360

....ok thanks Forts. Your explanation makes sense: maybe a case that 1st gen DMR radios *don't care* about slot and not DSD+ decodng it correctly. It was the fact that DMRDecode decoded it correctly as slot 2 that made me curious.

I guess this might become a more prevalent issue for DSD+ for gen2 DMR radios that do use slots for direct simplex comms, and therefore rely more on correct decoding of slot number ?

Jim

racingfan360

DSD+ 1.090 does not display slot numbers for MS frames.

Thanks, I realize that, but it does add the Slot 1 or 2 info to the metadata for the recordings though......and a Slot 2 simplex transmission is showing up as Slot 1 from what I've seen

BTW the metadata and per transmission recording features are really cool in this this latest release.....a BIG THANK YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.