Newark PD Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansky

I was just reading an article online about the Newark PD helicopter being used to apprehend suspects from a robbery. Does this unit use a special frequency or do they use the normal precinct frequencies?

rr60

Premium Subscriber
NPD 1

NPD1 (chopper) Has become very active lately in the early morning hours. Seems as if they got some funding to keep it up. This morning on the West District they had a pursuit with normal Newark lingo, hey bro I can't jump outta here to get him for you! Also noted the air unit when talking on the West was bringing up two repeaters with the same PL (hetrodyne buzz). Also of interest seems as if very little State activity for some time.

AC2OY

I have lived in Belleville since we moved from Newark New Jersey about 47 years ago and I have never seen it in the air. Maybe I'm not looking at the right time or they don't fly over North Newark. From time to tine I hear the Northstar or Southstar helicopter on the scanner but never Newark's helo.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
NPD1

I have lived in Belleville since we moved from Newark New Jersey about 47 years ago and I have never seen it in the air. Maybe I'm not looking at the right time or they don't fly over North Newark. From time to tine I hear the Northstar or Southstar helicopter on the scanner but never Newark's helo.

It stays very low so it will not be visible from very far. Low to see the perps and to stay out of the Class B airspace. If you are so inclined perhaps program the Districts repeater inputs. This may call your attention to when the chopper is up without listening to all the routine traffic. I have heard and seen it mostly in the early morning hours on the 460.xxx channels. It has been very active lately.

ansky

Helicopters are extremely expensive to fly. With all the budget cuts Newark has had over the last few years, including police layoffs, it's hard to imagine how they justify flying this thing.

AC2OY

It stays very low so it will not be visible from very far. Low to see the perps and to stay out of the Class B airspace. If you are so inclined perhaps program the Districts repeater inputs. This may call your attention to when the chopper is up without listening to all the routine traffic. I have heard and seen it mostly in the early morning hours on the 460.xxx channels. It has been very active lately.

Thanks R I have all the Newark PD frequencies in (9 I think?) and they are usually busy but I never seem to hear the helicopter. I know what it sounds like because of listening to NJSP North and Southstar. I have one very loud one that does infact fly very low over my house. I live very close to the GSP so I'm assuming it's the State Police.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
More Airtime

NPD1 (chopper) Has become very active lately in the early morning hours. Seems as if they got some funding to keep it up. This morning on the West District they had a pursuit with normal Newark lingo, hey bro I can't jump outta here to get him for you! Also noted the air unit when talking on the West was bringing up two repeaters with the same PL (hetrodyne buzz). Also of interest seems as if very little State activity for some time.

According to this the State Police and NPD chopper will be more active. I have not heard them on B2-9 in a long time.

Newark police shuffle ranks, call in reinforcements to combat latest wave of violence | NJ.com

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Lots of funding has be obtained after 9/11/01 for municipal helicopters for repairs. Haven't ever heard or seen monies allocated towards purchasing new helicopters for bigger departments since many just rely on the NJSP for that assistance. However ones that were operational in fleets prior to 9/11 have received funding from Federal Govt and homeland security. When I find the legal documents to back this statement I will post.

AC2OY

Artie it's currently 1:06am I heard the State Police going to land a helo right on Rt.440 I think they said in the middle of the road I'm assuming bad accident. Besides that mess Newark PD is going wild stolen cars...looking for somebody on foot...I'm tempted to lock out everything but Essex county but I'm not to good with EZ Scan. If the cat wouldn't chew the wire the 536 would be locked on NJSP,NJISC,and Essex County because right now there's a lot going on!!!

SCPD

QRT
I think its time

Artie it's currently 1:06am I heard the State Police going to land a helo right on Rt.440 I think they said in the middle of the road I'm assuming bad accident. Besides that mess Newark PD is going wild stolen cars...looking for somebody on foot...I'm tempted to lock out everything but Essex county but I'm not to good with EZ Scan. If the cat wouldn't chew the wire the 536 would be locked on NJSP,NJISC,and Essex County because right now there's a lot going on!!!

i think its time for Mike to get the cat a new playmate,a dog! Put the wire inside a copper pipe ,then the cat cant chew it.Did you try Wire Moulding?

AC2OY

i think its time for Mike to get the cat a new playmate,a dog! Put the wire inside a copper pipe ,then the cat cant chew it.Did you try Wire Moulding?

No my wife and I hit micro center and they have this flex plastic tubbing that seems to do the trick but I don't want to mess up the cord you fixed so the 536 sits next to the 2000 and is kind of a paperweight lately if they come up with a fix for the dimming issue I'll have to get creative or run it through the siren app. I think that still works? Never left the thing on in the basement and tried siren at work because I'll probably rip through my data plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.