2014 Ford Fusion install

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefive76

Just posting some pics of my simple setup in my new car. Motorola XPR5550 for fire and ham use (remote head) fits and looks great in here. Also have remote siren/light controller mounted under passenger seat with the remote in the center console.

Attachments

• IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 4,750
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,730
Last edited:

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
We have a couple of fusion hybrids in our fleet. I like the way they drive.

Went with a convertacom type install since they are admin units, and motorcycle siren setups with 2 light switches in the area that you put your radio head.

N0JRD

Premium Subscriber
Looks great. Osage is one of my favorite counties to listen to. Do you have a antenna pic as well?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... I was amazed how nice my 536 fit in that same spot on my 2015 Fusion with the lighter plug right there... the fit was so snug all I needed was a strip of mounting tape... the insulation took under 5 minutes... of course I could not see the display from there but that's the radio's fault... ended up putting a 1095 there and the remote head on the steering column...

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have a 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid. How did you mount the antennas? I am considering L Brackets in the back or a roof mount forward of the moon roof.

73 Eric

firetaz834

We have a couple of fusion hybrids in our fleet. I like the way they drive.

Went with a convertacom type install since they are admin units, and motorcycle siren setups with 2 light switches in the area that you put your radio head.

Would love to see a picture of your vehicles with the converacom in it.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I'm about a month from reporting back to that job. I'll get a pic if they are in the yard when i go pick up my equipment.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thanks. I am considering the center of the trunk as well.

The roof slopes more than my old 2006 Fusion, so the trunk lid is shorter. I ruled out trunk lip mounts as the tall antenna I have will hit into the roof. It appears that my antennas will clear the roof if they are mounted in the center of the trunk lid. A friend with another automobile model found the trunk lid was not grounded to the rest of the body, so he used braid between the body and trunk lid. I need to check this.

I am also considering putting a mount above the eyeglasses holder in the front. This is forward of the Moonroof. I found the roof liner in front of the Moonroof is held in place magnetically and I can see the area where I want to drill the hole. I need to look at the Service CD on how to take things apart and route the cables. I would likely put a short 900 MHz ham antenna there.

I have a hybrid, so the 12 volt battery is in the back. The Ford modification guide warns not to tie directly into the battery as shunts are used to measure the current. I may tie into the console like another installer did.

73 Eric

Kasmus

By the way, the MOTOTRBO radios save the display brightness settings for day and night mode independently. So you could dial it down a little in night mode to match the brightness of your center console buttons and still have the fully-lit day mode display. ;-)

Sorry about jumping in late, but this is a relevant thread...

I know I'm getting into this a little late. I ended up buying a 2016 Fusion Energi hybrid a few days ago. It's got a similar internal layout. Where did you get power from? I saw in the modifiers guide that there's a high current 12 V communications radio bus.

Did you make your mount and mic bracket?

Do you notice any RFI?

I'm going to be using trunk lip mounts on mine until it's paid off.

Uplink

firefive76, I have that same radio in my 2016 Fusion, do you get RF interference when transmitting, emitting from the sound system speakers? (low level hums and clicks)

I found the MyFord Touch doesn't really shut the stereo down even thought the touch screen says it's off.

RFI is driving me nuts on TX. Pulling the fuse is the only thing that REALLY shuts down the stereo. :mad::mad:

I'm using a Laird trunk lip mount with the HCH hand held control head.

N3VEM

RFI

Uplink- I'd be anxious to hear about your RFI issues. I just started an install project in my 2016 Fusion.

N3vem.weebly.com

I'll be sure to share if I have the same issues. Main difference though, is I don't have the Sony radio with the mytouch setup - I just have the standard radio.

firefive76

Kasmus- the display is dialed down. It's not near as bright as it appears in the picture. It matches the dash lights nicely!

902- went straight to the battery through a grommet behind the glove box. The mount is the factory one (remote head). The mic bracket is just a large L bracket screwed to the side of the remote head mount.

I have absolutely no interference with anything in the car. I have the standard MyTouch stereo (not the Sony) and have had no problems whatsoever. I've had it in there for a year now.

Uplink

N3vem, Let know how it goes, I'm running a Uniden 396XT with remote head and a XPR5550, and switched to a standard remote head, both main chassis are mounted in the trunk, came out quite nice.
Having big time RF issues through the speaker system. Very annoying while in transmit. I found The Mytouch system appears to be always on, even with the radio off, and even with the (keyless) ignition switched completely off. I get RFI more on the low side 440-445 Mhz side than above 445. I found the only way to stop it, and shut the stereo down completely is to pull the dang radio fuse! :mad:
Yes, even with the stereo's amplifier fuse pulled the stereo speakers are still on! It uses them for chimes and warning sounds, as soon as a door opens. I may have to run a dang toggle switch to that fuse to do a real shutdown of the stereo system. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.