BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Radio Reference Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

16cessna34

Hi Lately my scanner has not picked up some police activity in the area. Do I have to periodically update the Radio Reference Database? How do I do that? Thanks

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
YES...if you want the latest info for the systems you monitor.

How to do it, depends on the scanner you are using...and the software....

WQPW689

Since you included BCD436HP in the thread title, I presume you're using the Sentinel software that came with the scanner.

Open Sentinel, at the drop down menu item Update, use Update Master HPDB. Let the software work, then when finished, write to your scanner from the Scanner drop down.

marksmith

Since you included BCD436HP in the thread title, I presume you're using the Sentinel software that came with the scanner.

Open Sentinel, at the drop down menu item Update, use Update Master HPDB. Let the software work, then when finished, write to your scanner from the Scanner drop down.
The above works if you are using the full database to listen to. If you use favorites lists you will need to update those.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

WQPW689

The above works if you are using the full database to listen to. If you use favorites lists you will need to update those.

Mark

Updating the Master DB does that also. If you have anything on a favorite's list that needs to be updated you'll get a menu window with a few choices when you write to the scanner. The one to select is the one that says "Copy and Replace on Scanner" or words to that effect.

Voyager

Updating the master database does not change anything in a Favorites List.

You have to update the FL "manually".

WQPW689

Ah, thank you for that info, both of you. I don't suppose most of the frequencies I track are going to change much without me hearing about it somehow, but I only have a few FL's. I don't envy those who have numerous ones, though.

marksmith

Ah, thank you for that info, both of you. I don't suppose most of the frequencies I track are going to change much without me hearing about it somehow, but I only have a few FL's. I don't envy those who have numerous ones, though.
The best solution is to update the full database regularly so when you are in the field, you have the latest if you go to the database.

For Favorites Lists, the best approach is to run those systems likely to change in SEARCH mode. If you pick up a new TG, you can add it to the favorites list on the fly outside the software. You need to read the scanner to the software before next updates or you lose them. They are saved in a quick save group, which you probably want to better organize in the software before next update anyway.

The option that was mentioned above to "update the scanner" is used to copy the updated database to the scanner after it has been downloaded to the pc. It just does not update the FL on the scanner or pc. This happens automatically any time you do any update to the radio if the database is newer.

I believe everything stated here applies to both x36 radios and both HP1 and HP2, but the HP'S need to have the extreme upgrade aboard to add the search finds in the field.

You will receive them and can note them but you have to put them in the radio via Sentinal without extreme.

Mark

Voyager

If you simple use the APPEND function from the master dB, it will update your FL with any new channels PROVIDED that you didn't change the System/Department names.

marksmith

If you simple use the APPEND function from the master dB, it will update your FL with any new channels PROVIDED that you didn't change the System/Department names.
Naturally I have changed those names.
It doesn't matter, because I will
Naturally I have changed those names.
It doesn't matter, because I will hear them and add to tan favorites list on the fly long before it finds its way into the database by my experience, and I can call that what want to as well.

Mark
WS1095/536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/325P2/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

325xia

Premium Subscriber

I was trying to find the "Append" function in Sentinel. Could you explain where I can find this?

Thanks,

Michael

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Highlight the part of the Main Database that you would like to append to your FL and Right click on that. This should give you a menu of possible actions and the very top one "append to favorite's list" is the one you want. When you click on that it should then ask you which "favorites list you wish to append to".

325xia

Premium Subscriber
Highlight the part of the Main Database that you would like to append to your FL and Right click on that. This should give you a menu of possible actions and the very top one "append to favorite's list" is the one you want. When you click on that it should then ask you which "favorites list you wish to append to".

Thank You. That worked. Does it ignore freq's I already have in the FL's? It seems to leave them alone with my desired Delay Times on specific channels.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it only appends to your FL unless you already have what you are appending then I think it will overwrite it. If that happens you may have to go in and rename things the way you want. However, I far as I know if it is new information that you are appending it will leave your other entries in your FL alone.

The only problem I sometimes have is it will append way more than I want, if that happens I just go in and delete what I do not want from my FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.