• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xts radio monitoring Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve5wil

Feed Provider
Hi all,

I am interested in monitoring the Saskatchewan PPSTN network with a XTS5000 radio

Apparently this is a Harris system ..

I know the system ID and Network Access Code. Is there a way to find the WCAN ID from this, or am I stuck with having to get the radio programmed with a dongle (which wont happen) or finding a p25 harris radio

(Yes I have permission from system admin, and the agency I want to monitor provided I can get my radio to monitor without affiliating or interfering with the system)

thanks

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the no affiliate scan thread over at p25.ca, I think that's where I read it.
If I recall there is an issue with Harris systems and NAC/SysIDs that don't match the Motorola pattern. I can't remember if the problem is with Astro25, APX or both, but I think it requires some type of option (or lack of restriction) on WACN roaming.

With a Harris System you have to use all frequency's listed Harris system is different and may use anyone of them for a control channel

ve5wil

Feed Provider
I do have all the frequencies in .

the system id is 00a but the listed WCAN does not appear right.

with the xts programed as per p25.ca

the radio picks up nothing , even with the default nac for all communication.

and as thundernight stated
If I recall there is an issue with Harris systems and NAC/SysIDs that don't match the Motorola pattern. I can't remember if the problem is with Astro25, APX or both, but I think it requires some type of option (or lack of restriction) on WACN roaming.

this is the issue i am trying to overcome. the xts series wont change wacn roaming option without the proper wcan.or apparently a dongle of some sort.

rescue 161 - i will look into unitracker thanks.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've monitored multiple Harris systems with an XTS2500 (and vice versa... Motorola systems with a P7200). Never had an issue. Make sure you check the bandplan though. Many of the Harris systems around me use a non-default base frequency. You will need UniTrunker or Pro96COM to view this info.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I've monitored multiple Harris systems with an XTS2500 (and vice versa... Motorola systems with a P7200). Never had an issue. Make sure you check the bandplan though. Many of the Harris systems around me use a non-default base frequency. You will need UniTrunker or Pro96COM to view this info.

This, many times over, including the order of bandplan items. This is especially relevant if your scan is stopping on correct talkgroups as they activate but no vox traffic comes through- that means the radio isn't jumping to the right voice channel because something's wrong in the plan.

ve5wil

Feed Provider
Thanks guys - Im going to see if i can get unitrunker and my BCD396xt to work. hope this helps !

ve5wil

Feed Provider
unitrunker is giving me all the same information I currently have. still no luck.

I put the control CH in , in their LCN order with no luck
I still have to find where i can check the bandplan with the cps

if it makes a difference it is a vhf p25 p1 system I am trying to monitor.

set up as a conventional scanner its great - gets everything including the groups I dont want to listen too. My sys admin contact did say unless the radio is programmed with a " security dongle" there is no way to monitor individual talkgroups.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You will need a WACN key to be able to check the "Intra-WACN Roaming Feature, which will allow the radio to not validate the NAC against the system ID....assuming no other factors are also not allowing the radio to monitor the system.

ve5wil

Feed Provider
Thats what I am trying to figure out.

With the system key I can change the WACN ID. but I assume as long as the WACN is incorrect I wont get to select the inter WACN roaming option.

Thanks\

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I'm not going to go into the "use a scanner" rant, as apparently that will work better for you (and hear more than 15 TG's at a time)...

....However, what has been coming down my pipeline is that certain system ID ranges and with the WACN ID's have been hardcoded into programming software that does not allow for programming without a valid WACN dongle. I personally know of at least three in the US. Depending on the software (Harris or Motorola) that will either allow the programming but will not work in the radio, or the software will just not allow the entry in the proper fields.

If your CN system is like this or not, I do not know. The systems I am aware of are newer ones. Its designed to keep persons such as yourself off the system or doing harm (with or without intent) - even if you have the means to program one up that will work on most others. Sneaky, but effective. This includes the scanning method, hidden talkgroups, etc as it deal with the trunked system menu options.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
And more than likely, this will be defeated in a heartbeat.

Harris RPM has protected systems in it.. You can't program in the system without a security file/certificate. But it can be worked around pretty easily.

grem467

We aren't talking about anything having to do with rpm. It's a Motorola. You will need a wacn key as pointed out by Kevin, it's a hardware key which is different than the software system key you are using to program the system into the radio and is probably unubtainum unless you can convince the system management to order it from Motorola and let you use it.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Thats what I am trying to figure out.

With the system key I can change the WACN ID. but I assume as long as the WACN is incorrect I wont get to select the inter WACN roaming option.

Thanks\

You need a "WACN Key" to check the feature I mentioned, it does more than "Intra-WACN Roaming". Again, assuming nothing else is also hindering your attempt.

You can find more info about it on P25.ca (communications.support).

Last edited:

ve5wil

Feed Provider
As PJH says "does not allow for programming without a valid WACN dongle" , this is basically what my contact has said, so thats probably why he said go for it and attempt. Its been a fun challenge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.