Ubuntu and programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I hate that I'm asking this...so please be kind. ;-)

I have a BCD396XT that I've been using with Freescan quite successfully on a Win7 laptop. I recently purposed an older WinXP netbook with an Ubuntu install (I'm new to the Linux world) and would like to transfer my radio programming over to that device (I've already got Chirp working for another radio).

I understand there isn't a Freescan build for Linux and I've been unsuccessful getting it to work with/through Wine. Is there a similar programming software that might actually work? Or, am I missing something simple to get Freescan working? I've looked around and I haven't found a solution that works (at least I haven't gotten them to work). I understand FreeSCAN version .7g supposedly worked under Wine, but I can't seem to find a file to download.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

nd5y

I could never get Freescan to work with WINE either becuse it needs .NET to run. As far as I know there is nothing comparable to Freescan for Linux.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Bummer. For the number of "radio 'guys'" that use some version of Linux, I'm surprised.

marksmith

I could never get Freescan to work with WINE either becuse it needs .NET to run. As far as I know there is nothing comparable to Freescan for Linux.
An older version of freescan, before it required. NET to operate is probably your only chance.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
An older version of freescan, before it required. NET to operate is probably your only chance.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Like I said, I've been looking, but I can't find one anywhere.

parnass

AJ9S
... Is there a similar programming software that might actually work?

I use Keith Wyatt's bcprogtool software on my Fedora Linux desktop computer with Uniden's BCT15X and BC346XT. I made a few changes to the software so I can use it with a BCD996P2, as well.

bcprogtool is written in Tcl/Tk so it doesn't require Wine or .NET.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
I use Keith Wyatt's bcprogtool software on my Fedora Linux desktop computer with Uniden's BCT15X and BC346XT. I made a few changes to the software so I can use it with a BCD996P2, as well.

bcprogtool is written in Tcl/Tk so it doesn't require Wine or .NET.

I'll give it a look. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.