HP1 vs HP2 vs 325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Hi there. I apologize if this has been asked multiple times and if it has, maybe someone can direct me to the appropriate thread or a website if it exists. Anyway, I'm in the market for a 3rd scanner. I live in an area that is a mix of digital, trunking and analog and nobody is P2 yet (don't know that it ever will). Is there a big enough difference between the HP1 and HP2 to justify paying the extra $$$ for the HP2? I tried finding a website where I could do a side-by-side comparison of features, but was unable to find one. Granted, I didn't check every single site there is that sells scanners. hahaha. I know the HP2 is P2 compatible, but as I already stated, P2 isn't needed right now and I have a 436HP in case I travel somewhere and need that ability.

I'm also looking at the 325P2. Obviously, where money is concerned, the HP1 and 325P2 are more affordable, but the HP2 isn't outlandishly expensive...less than what I paid for my 436HP.

Anyway, any help or insight anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The HP-2 is USB powered instead of using a separate power jack. Other than that, the Phase 2 capabilities and perhaps some minor hardware tweaks it is pretty similar to the HP-1.

One must also consider if the area they are listening to may upgrade to Phase 2 in the future, if there is any chance of that then you might want to invest the extra money in the HP-2, if not then the HP-1 should be fine.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Rich! That's exactly what I was looking for. As far as I know, there's been no talk about anybody in Maricopa County going Phase 2 and I have a 436HP in case it does. :)

N9JIG

Sheriff
Actually I think RWC and MCSO is talking about it, so the HP-2 might not be a bad investment in this area.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Are they? Hmmm. I will have to investigate further. Thank you, again. :)

**edited**
I looks like that might be the case...for RWC at least. I found this in a thread under the Arizona forum

**Yes, most of the RWC and TOPAZ RWC are 700 MHz. Any remaining 800 MHz sites are being upgraded to 700 MHz (Phoenix RWC Simulcast B at the moment, Simulcast A at a later date), and are rumored to be going to P25 Phase II by the end of next year.**

I don't yet know about MCSO as they're not on RWC or Topaz. <sigh>

Last edited:

marksmith

I have the HP1, HP2, 325p2, and 436hp. I think the radio I like the best is the HP2, mainly because it can do all the stuff that the 436 can, and it has the most readable screen out there. Especially compared to the 436, the screen is beautiful.

When I go mobile, I have HP2'S in the vehicles, but for a handheld the 325p2 is a star. Very sensitive and big improvement in digital decoding over the 396xt, and a lot nicer to carry around than the 436.

Overall I think the HP2 is the most under rated radio out there. It does all the stuff the top radios do plus you can read it. It also has not had one firmware update yet to attempt to correct something.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Mark. I do like the display on the HP for sure. My 436 does okay, unless there's too much light shining on it. hahahaha. I think it's going to come down between the HP2 and the 325P2.

Voyager

The 326 is much more of a portable unit, and the HP-x is what I call a portable desktop.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Brenda
I would definitely go with a phase 2 scanner. You might find it interesting to go out to Tucson, where they have a lot of phase 2. I live in LA, but my daughter/grandson are in Phoenix (near Camelback and 22E) and my wife and I go there a lot. Have used the HP2 and 325P2 out there on the RWC and they work fine, as do my 436/536HP (have had a lot of my scanners out there).
I agree that with Mark that the HP2 is an under-rated radio of the new P2 scanners in the last few years. So are the 996P2 and 325P2, which have much better P25 decoding (IMHO) compared to the 396XT/996XT. My go-to-radios when I want to let the zip-code feature just go is still the 436HP, similar to you Brenda. I use the HP2 in the car, but the 325P2 has become my favorite go-to portable radio. Always loved the 396XT, and the 325P2 is a nice upgrade (only 2 batteries however).
One thing I now love is the USB power for scanners like the HP2, 325P2, 436HP, and WS1080. The reason is because I can plug any of those into a USB power pack and literally run those for a couple of days if necessary. I always carry recharged batteries and USB power packs.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I forgot you already have the 436HP for P2, but I think the HP2 or 325P2 would be great choices for a third radio. Then we can discuss your fourth, fifth, sixth radios. Just kidding, but there are a few of us out there who do seem to have the well-know IBS (I buy scanner disease). Have a good day Brenda.

Steve

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
The 326 is much more of a portable unit, and the HP-x is what I call a portable desktop.

Yeah, I seem to have a thing for portables and for some reason desktops don't work very well at work, although at the moment my pro-106 isn't doing too well and my 436 does pretty good. Most of my listening is done in the car so I'm looking for something that it's a bit more sensitive than my 106, although I wouldn't be opposed to bringing my 436 inside and having the HP or 325 in the car.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I forgot you already have the 436HP for P2, but I think the HP2 or 325P2 would be great choices for a third radio. Then we can discuss your fourth, fifth, sixth radios. Just kidding, but there are a few of us out there who do seem to have the well-know IBS (I buy scanner disease). Have a good day Brenda.

Steve

Hahaha. At one time I had 6 radios, but 5 of them were analog so I gifted them to people in areas that didn't have trunking or digital yet.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Brenda
I would definitely go with a phase 2 scanner. You might find it interesting to go out to Tucson, where they have a lot of phase 2. I live in LA, but my daughter/grandson are in Phoenix (near Camelback and 22E) and my wife and I go there a lot. Have used the HP2 and 325P2 out there on the RWC and they work fine, as do my 436/536HP (have had a lot of my scanners out there).
I agree that with Mark that the HP2 is an under-rated radio of the new P2 scanners in the last few years. So are the 996P2 and 325P2, which have much better P25 decoding (IMHO) compared to the 396XT/996XT. My go-to-radios when I want to let the zip-code feature just go is still the 436HP, similar to you Brenda. I use the HP2 in the car, but the 325P2 has become my favorite go-to portable radio. Always loved the 396XT, and the 325P2 is a nice upgrade (only 2 batteries however).
One thing I now love is the USB power for scanners like the HP2, 325P2, 436HP, and WS1080. The reason is because I can plug any of those into a USB power pack and literally run those for a couple of days if necessary. I always carry recharged batteries and USB power packs.

Thank you for your input, Steve, it's greatly appreciated. I love being able to run my 436 off of "cigarette adapter" (or whatever those are when it's not an actual cigarette lighter) and not having to worry about batteries running down. So the HP2 will allow that sort of usage?

I tried taking my 436 to Tucson with me the last time I went to the zoo down there, but aside from picking up some border patrol chatter, I heard nothing. Of course, it's possible it was entirely my fault because I didn't re-read the owners manual for zip code scanning. Your daughter and grandson, where they live, isn't horribly far from where I am.

crowe604

Premium Subscriber
I read a review that said the BCD325P2 would not charge and operate at the same time. Will it at least operate off a DC adapter or something while mobile? May sound like a silly question but I saw the review and wanted to ask the experts first. :) I'm not so worried about the charging while using I use want it to be able to work off external power for road trips.

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I read a review that said the BCD325P2 would not charge and operate at the same time. Will it at least operate off a DC adapter or something while mobile? May sound like a silly question but I saw the review and wanted to ask the experts first. :) I'm not so worried about the charging while using I use want it to be able to work off external power for road trips.

Thanks
Yes, as long as your adapter has USB outlets. Lots of those on Amazon & elsewhere, plug into a cigarette lighter socket & provide power to one or more USB jacks. For the 325P2, it's either run the scanner (using a USB power source), or charge the batteries. For the HP-2, which also uses USB, if your source has a high enough current output, and also is a 'smart' adapter that indicates to the scanner it is higher capacity, then you can both operate and charge the HP-2 at the same time. That's not the case with the 325P2 nor the BCD436HP. Only charge, or run the scanner; neither do both simultaneously.

D

darunimal

I too was confused about can it run off USB with batteries installed, yes so can the BCD436HP. I never personally charge my batteries in the scanner, but I do have a fresh set in when I plug the mini b usb adapter in the cigarette lighter, runs fine on DC power, outlet isn't powered when I turn vehicle off, but the batteries keep it running while I'm in a store or gas station.

KE0GXN

For the HP-2, which also uses USB, if your source has a high enough current output, and also is a 'smart' adapter that indicates to the scanner it is higher capacity, then you can both operate and charge the HP-2 at the same time.

Would an I-Phone USB (cube) wall plug-in adaptor work for that?

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Update...

After hemming and hawing for awhile and giving it some thought, I went with the HP2. It'll be here tomorrow sometime. I don't know, yet, whether it'll go into the car or come here to work. I need to do a side-by-side with the 436 to see which one gets better reception at my desk.

Thank you, Everyone, for your input and advice. It was appreciated. :D

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I'm pretty sure of one thing, Brenda, and that's the display on the HP2 is better than the 436.

I love the performance of the 436, but the visual display of my HP1 is much easier for these tired old eyes.

I'm guessing that you'll enjoy looking at the HP2 more than the 436.

Let me know if you do.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.