Oncor EDACS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Oncor is having some kind of problems with their EDACS system. Lots of talkgroups patch together, new (to me & Wichita Falls area) talkgroups appearing, talk of not being able to hear eachother, and radio testing.

KC5ALI

I noticed that in my area of west Texas. Oncor edacs network has completely shut down. Seems like cause I can not find a control channel and if I do, its like 1 or 2 bar, if even that much, of a signal. Would anyone have any updates to what is going on?

Last edited:

rbarker

Robert
I'm trying to follow Oncor (Georgetown) on my GRE PSR-500 scanner. I tried to set it as EDACS NARROW Band and it will not stop on active. I'm trying to just set it as EDACS STD the control channel is weak but I do hear it. what's the best setting?

nd5y

If the control channel is too weak to decode then you need to relocate your antenna or do something else to improve the signal strength.

EDACS Narrow, which is what the Oncor system is, uses a 4800 baud control channel.
EDACS Wide uses a 9600 baud control channel.
The trunking type has to be set to EDACS Narrow or it won't work at all on this system.

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
If you are using WIN500 software to program the radio, be sure that the box marked "EDACS-N: Invert Data" is checked. The box can be found by clicking on the TSYS Ojects tab. Look at the upper right corner under Details for TSYS Object ID # and System Frequencies box. Sorry not familiar with any other software used to program, or if it is possible to check that box using the keypad.

Last edited:

rbarker

Robert
OK got it.. (but don't understand it) checking that box in the program changes it to EDACS NARROW

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
ONCOR EDACS problem

I agree with Tom, it is a 4800 baud narrow band system. The only way I can receive it in the DFW area is the narrow band invert setting. Be advised that on a hand held scanner the signal in parts of DFW is weak too.

SCPD

QRT
An ONCOR service guy told me over the winter they have really done away with the radio and rely on in truck CAD's. They say most towers except in Dallas rarely work. If you think about it most rural areas only have one or two towers per county and on 900Mhz. that's useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.