BCD536HP 18 month review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I own three 536HPs, one of which is in Arizona at my daughter's condominium. Like many others, I have experienced the dimming screen problems on 2 units, and the RTC issue on one unit. And like others, I had to wait a long time for some of the analyze and Wi-Fi features.
Nevertheless, from a performance standpoint here in the Los Angeles area (also used quite a bit in Phoenix and Las Vegas), the instant replay feature, the extensive information on display, the ability to use virtual control with Butel and Pro-Scan, the recording, the Wi-Fi, and the database, this is still by far the best scanner I have ever owned.
Certainly, some of my other scanners have some features I wish the 536 had, but overall, in my opinion, the BCD536HP is the best scanner available for the scanner enthusiast (with the exception of professional radios like Motorola, which are in a different league). That's my 18-month assessment from here in LA. I'm sure some may disagree.
If I could have only one scanner, it would still be the 536HP. If two scanners, add the 436HP.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I own three 536HPs, one of which is in Arizona at my daughter's condominium. Like many others, I have experienced the dimming screen problems on 2 units, and the RTC issue on one unit. And like others, I had to wait a long time for some of the analyze and Wi-Fi features.
Nevertheless, from a performance standpoint here in the Los Angeles area (also used quite a bit in Phoenix and Las Vegas), the instant replay feature, the extensive information on display, the ability to use virtual control with Butel and Pro-Scan, the recording, the Wi-Fi, and the database, this is still by far the best scanner I have ever owned.
Certainly, some of my other scanners have some features I wish the 536 had, but overall, in my opinion, the BCD536HP is the best scanner available for the scanner enthusiast (with the exception of professional radios like Motorola, which are in a different league). That's my 18-month assessment from here in LA. I'm sure some may disagree.
If I could have only one scanner, it would still be the 536HP. If two scanners, add the 436HP.

I agree completely, with Steve. My three 536's are superior than all previously owned scanners.

Yes, there are a couple of outstanding issues, which I hope Uniden addresses, although the issues don't effect the performance.

I would highly recommend the 536HP as your next scanner!

marksmith

How can you say the inability to read the screen "don't effect performance". ??

I suppose in some weird way if I somehow otherwise knew what is displaying on the screen it would be reasonable, but if I can't use it because I can't see it, in my book, performance is effected.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

wise871

Database Admin
I agree with the review and the issues it has. As a scanner it does a great job. Now if they would only fix the problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
How can you say the inability to read the screen "don't effect performance". ??
I suppose in some weird way if I somehow otherwise knew what is displaying on the screen it would be reasonable, but if I can't use it because I can't see it, in my book, performance is effected.
Mark

Mark,
I agree with you that the dim screen does affect performance. In fact, I basically use ARC536HP or Pro-Scan virtual control most of the time and view the display that way. It certainly is annoying. I think my OP acknowledged that issue. However, overall, I still believe the 536HP is the best scanner currently available, given all its features. Certainly, the display is far from acceptable. I fully acknowledge that the 536HP has some major issues. But overall, if you give me just one scanner, that is the one I will take.
I realize some, including yourself Mark, may feel differently and disagree with my assessment.
I'm sure others probably will as well. Thanks you and others for your responses.

marksmith

If you give me just one scanner that WORKS, the 536 might make the cut, but I think I would pick the HP2 because it does everything the 436 does (except wifi, which only questionable works on the 536 for Android folks), plus it has the most readable screen on any scanner, and they have yet to have to try and fix anything with firmware updates because they don't have to.

In other words, since it WORKS, I would go with the HP2.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
How can you say the inability to read the screen "don't effect performance". ??/QUOTE]

Mark,

I should have qualified my statement. I find the issues, the time and Siren app (stand alone Uniden server) for taking the iPad away from the home or place scanner is located for monitoring. As far as the display, I'm experiencing a diminished display by approximately 20% on two 536's and one working normally. The fading hasn't worsend since the survey. That is why I find the performance of my 536's acceptable, up until Uniden answers the problem.

As far as the dimming display, approximatly 45% of the 536HP owners are having dimming problems. (as per RadioReference survey I conducted in May). This is still a mystery to me, something is effecting those scanners with worsening fading issues, and not the others.

Sorry Steve, I hadn't plan to get off topic and hijack your thread.

an39511

As far as the dimming display said:
Most likely the dimming issues are caused by running the display at full intensity for long periods of time. I make that conclusion based on three of my BCD536HP radios. All three had their LCD screens replaced late last year and since then I run two as the lowest setting for brightness and the third has been set on the brightest setting. The one that has always had the display set to high is now as bright as the others on their lowest setting. The two other displays are as bright as they were new. Too bad I can't use that setting for long.

KC9NEG

Is there a way to reboot the radio with the screen backlight off? I often use a WeMo Smart Plug to reboot my 536HP remotely, and it always comes on with the display full bright. I set it to "off" in my Sentinel profile, but that doesn't seem to work?

These radios can indeed work very well for some of us, as a quick listen to my feed surely can attest. I just hope my screen doesn't go bad, as I can't afford another for a backup for my feed if this one needs repairs.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes. MENU --> BACKLIGHT SETTINGS --> DIMMER

Set it to OFF. Then, turn off the scanner using the physical knob and turn it back on.

KC9NEG

Thanks for the quick answer, Paul. IIRC, I tried to accomplish the same thing through Sentinel. It was buried a bit deeper under display options, but I got it set correctly.

SOFA_KING

I agree with the review. Now that I have a Stridsburg multicoupler connecting several Uniden and GRE scanners to my Diamond discone antenna fed with hardline, I have been able to compare weak signal reception and selectivity amongst these different models (in rank order). The BCD436HP wins by the slightest margin on P25 reception over the BCD536HP. The GRE PSR-800 is next (and close on P25 weak signal with more "Donald Ducking" on the fringe), but has overload issues on low and high VHF. My Stridsburg FM Broadcast filter fixes VHF high band overload issues, but not VHF low band. 800 reception is better on the newer GRE / Whistler scanners though. My HP-1 is not too bad, but doesn't have the tight filtering the x36 line has (that really helps by lowering the noise floor and providing much better selectivity). And my PRO-197 and WS1040 can't decode the weakest P25 the others can (it takes 2+ bars to start decoding P25). They just don't have that ability. No doubt, the receiver and P25 decode ability (when manually set to 9 or 10) on the x36 line is superior to the others. I believe the extra NFM ceramic filtering is making that improvement. Now if they fix the known issues, complete the advertised features and implement a few suggestions in firmware, it will be king of scanners.

I do think I would choose a 436 over a 536 for the larger display and added portability, though. External speakers can enhance audio reception, but taking my 536 on the road (can't see the tiny display) or in the field is not as feasible. If and when the Siren app has a server, maybe my 536 will be my favorite. But both have very good receivers. My GRE / Wistler scanners are still my best searching scanners, as they collect data (P25 data bursts with NAC on older models, and UID on newer models...even on encrypted P25 transmissions) the Uniden models don't. And Uniden still has issues with false NAC display on searching. GRE fixed that issue a long time ago (thank you Don Starr).

But the next line of scanners needs all that and a much better display with color and clear contrast. And don't neglect the other digital modes. At least I would like one scanner that does it all...and would pay a fair price for that. Better LSM decode with true I Q constellation discrimination would be a real help too. But those are features that are hopefully on the drawing board for the next round of advanced scanners.

Phil

Minus1

Yes. MENU --> BACKLIGHT SETTINGS --> DIMMER

Set it to OFF. Then, turn off the scanner using the physical knob and turn it back on.

I think you mean:
MENU –> DISPLAY OPTIONS –> SET BACKLIGHT –> SET DIMMER

unless you have a different firmware version :-O

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Steve as well. I replaced the 536 in my car with an HP2 because of installation problems in the new car. When I went to Wisconsin this time, I sorely missed my 536. Louder, did the Michigan trunking system MUCH better. When the Siren app gets more advanced, the HP2 is out and the 536 will be remotely back in the car. Yes, my RTC has finally given up. Please, Uniden. This really is a great radio. So is my 436. PLEASE GET A FIX!

Status
Not open for further replies.