2015 Toyota Tacoma install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sccafire

I have a Uniden 536hp and a Yaesu FT-8800R installed in my truck. I am not that good with fabrication of mounts and such so I had a shop do the install for these. I have an access cab truck. I removed the rear fold down seats and center console for more space. I kept the bracket for the console and mounted the 8800 to that. As for antenna's I felt I did not have enough roof space to keep them far enough apart without damaging the scanner when transmitting on the Yaesu. I bought a headache rack called the "Backrack." I have a nmo mounted dual band antenna for the Yaesu and a Larsen nmo mounted 1/4 wave 2m antenna for the scanner.

The antenna's are approx. 30 in. apart. For the gurus, do you feel that is far enough apart or do I need to go further?

I almost forgot, no I do not miss having the cup holders.

Last edited:

Sccafire

Very nice clean install. Where is the mic for the bottom radio, or is it only used as a receiver?

The mic is connected. The cord goes under the center console just to the right of the face plate. I do still need to extend it. The cord pulls tight when I transmit. I just haven't had time to deal with it.

KJ6HCB

Looks nice, but the problem being 1/4 wave antennas is you have no ground plane on that headache rack. May want to look into 1/2 wave No Ground Plane antennas if thats the case.

SCPD

QRT
I have a 2012, same measurements for center council. Where did you get the plastic spacers?

Sccafire

Very good install and you don't miss not having cup holders? I know I don't have them in my vehicle and I miss them.

I don't drink soda. I can't go thru the drive thru anymore. There is a small cup holder that is not pictured in the center console and 2 in the door for water bottles.

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Back Rack ?

I have the same truck and I am looking into getting the back rack but all I come up with is that they do not fit. What model Back Rack did you use and how is it mounted to the truck?
Thanks for the help...

Pete

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I have a 2015 Toyoylta Tacoma v6 as well. Had a hard time deciding where to put my antenna for 11 meters(CB) since I didn't want to pop a bole in my roof. I eventually hooked up with REP who makes mou nts for HF antennas. My mount is mounted on the driver.side rear side railing and I have 2 wires.going to 2 bolts for grounding purposes. As for a.ground plane I am not sure how that one is but I sure know my Firestik location is very directional. I have done some DX on it but I would really love.to make it more ommidirectional. Flat SWR straight across too.

Sccafire

I have the same truck and I am looking into getting the back rack but all I come up with is that they do not fit. What model Back Rack did you use and how is it mounted to the truck?
Thanks for the help...

Pete

Part #: 15010 for the Backrack itself

Part # 30317 for the mounting hardware

Part # 91008 for the antenna bracket (need 2)

The rack bolts to the bed track system. Look closer at the picture.

Last edited:

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Very Much for the info!!! That helps out a lot!!!!
Pete

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
maybe a ground plane kit would be useful on the transmit antenna.

But if it works, then leave it.

Sccafire

maybe a ground plane kit would be useful on the transmit antenna.

But if it works, then leave it.

For what I use it for it seems to work. I have yet to put any type of antenna analyzer on it. I will keep the ground plane kit as an option if needed down the road.

SCPD

QRT
cups

I don't drink soda. I can't go thru the drive thru anymore. There is a small cup holder that is not pictured in the center console and 2 in the door for water bottles.

I'm not sure where you're emergency brake is, but I've seen someone take out the cup holders, put a couple radios in their place like you did, and then slide a couple of ceramic coffee cups over the emergency brake lever between the seats. Did a great job holding fast food cups.

Sccafire

I'm not sure where you're emergency brake is, but I've seen someone take out the cup holders, put a couple radios in their place like you did, and then slide a couple of ceramic coffee cups over the emergency brake lever between the seats. Did a great job holding fast food cups.

E-brake is located by drivers left foot. Good idea though.

N8OHU

How is the Uniden 536hp working out for you? I've been thinking about getting one to go in my Trailblazer, but haven't added it to the buy list yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.