Ohio Amateur License Plate Renewals

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8VI

They asked to see my Amateur FCC license when I renewed back in December. Fortunately I had it with me and the lady working at the counter had to take it to her supervisor for verification before she could issue a renewal sticker. I asked "When did you start asking to see a copy of the license?" and she said "What is Amateur Radio?"

That's the first time they have ever asked to see my license except for when I received a new call sign in 1996. I believe my first ham license plate was issued in 1984.

73, Gary - Clermont County (13)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They asked to see my Amateur FCC license when I renewed back in December. Fortunately I had it with me and the lady working at the counter had to take it to her supervisor for verification before she could issue a renewal sticker. I asked "When did you start asking to see a copy of the license?" and she said "What is Amateur Radio?"

That's the first time they have ever asked to see my license except for when I received a new call sign in 1996. I believe my first ham license plate was issued in 1984.

73, Gary - Clermont County (13)
I have renewed mine 5 times before and they never asked, but they sure did Wednesday. Something flagged them when they brought it up on their computer. I always carry my card anyway. They said they had to confirm that it had not expired. I don't know how this will affect online renewals. Maybe someone kept their tags after their license expired and someone complained about it.

kf8yk

I don't know how this will affect online renewals.

Back in January oplates.com was unable to renew my plate, just gave a message to call the BMV. The BMV rep on the phone was familiar with the amateur radio plate renewal process & said that I would need a copy of my FCC license to renew in person at a BMV office.

The folks at the local BMV office accepted the reference copy printed off the FCC ULS web site.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
Amateur radio plates cannot be renewed online anymore, they have to be renewed at a BMV office or mailed in with a copy of your ham radio license. This has been the case for about a year because I had to provide a copy of my license last November when I renewed my plates. Here's a link to the BMV site with the info, ODPS | BMV | Special License Plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.