FCC Geographic Search by address

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike619

Hi I had a question I would like to know what are the benefits for a scanner listener who uses the FCC Advanced license search and address search and what does the address search do?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Here is a VERY brief answer: You can use Geosearch to search for a frequency, frequency range or FRN associated with a fixed site/location (i.e. filtered by State, County etc, or Coordinates).

The "location" could be a repeater, or a base station, or a bunch of mobiles used within a certain radius of (for example) a school or factory. ULS data has a code for site type, but I don't believe it's accessible from the ULS web API, which really sucks (you can access at lot of data fields that aren't on the Web API if you download raw ULS data files and import them into a local SQL database).

Honestly, you can easily spend hours and hours and hours deciphering the intricacies of ULS. It is NOT very user friendly and web queries with even a few seemingly simple filters can take forever. I'm guessing ULS is based on a VERY ancient database platform and convoluted data format/structure that was inherently difficult to interface with a web API (I'd be curious to know specifics)...

Last edited:

marksmith

Address is not as useful alone as some of the other query types, but can be after you have narrowed the data down using the other queries such as county or city or frequency.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

CanesFan95

I was just using that site this weekend and had a blast with it!

License Search - Geographic Search

There's a lot of new DMR frequencies that aren't identified anywhere that you can find on there. I was randomly searching around on 450-455 MHz and 460-466 MHz yesterday and decoding with DSD+ and a PSR-800. The only items I fill in on the FCC search are the State, County, and the exact frequency.

As I searched around and found DMR repeaters, I was able to look them up and find out exactly what I was listening to. There's usually a plain-English note in ALL CAPS that explains what the frequency is being used for. I actually found it to be user friendly and enjoyable to use while scanning. There's other tabs you can click on to find the transmitter location, wattage, number of mobiles, etc. and other frequencies used by the same licensee.

Another thing you can do is enter just the State and County Only and get a complete list of everything in your whole county. If you start first with the Advanced Search page, you can tell it to give you 100 results per page and then click the Geosearch button at the bottom. There's a way to get results into a text file that you can open in Excel, but I haven't tried it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.