Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

Is it just me having woken up grumpy or does it seem that nobody seems to read manuals that come with their new equipment (ie: scanner). I see questions on very simple, basic operation all the time..."how do I do this?" and, after it is explained to do them, "well, where is that setting?" Does nobody take the time to actually read the manual and learn how to use their scanner? Or is it just easier to fumble your way through it and ask questions if you get stuck? Stop with the instant gratification. Learn how to use your scanner and you will be more enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
No, no they don't. People will spend $30k + on a car and not read the manual, why would they on a $400 scanner?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Need a like button, an upvote and a Hell ya.

Is it just me having woken up grumpy or does it seem that nobody seems to read manuals that come with their new equipment (ie: scanner). I see questions on very simple, basic operation all the time..."how do I do this?" and, after it is explained to do them, "well, where is that setting?" Does nobody take the time to actually read the manual and learn how to use their scanner? Or is it just easier to fumble your way through it and ask questions if you get stuck? Stop with the instant gratification. Learn how to use your scanner and you will be more enjoyment out of it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You have people on here that do not know anything about a computer. They know where the power button is and the keypad. Back in the DOS days installing a piece of hardware Printer, Network Card, Harddrive, ect you had to have skills now people can not even get plug and play right. And yes I started with an 8088 computer with no harddrive running DOS 3.0 on a green monochrome monitor. My first FCC database was connected to with an external hayes 1200K modem 6 hours to download 720K of data imported into DBase 3 and that was a 100 mile circle 5 states.

D

DaveNF2G

People don't seem capable of or interested in learning anything new any more. When they need information, the only research method they know is to ask dumb questions online.

Yes, I said it, "dumb questions." When the answer is staring you in the face but you're too lazy to see it, then asking the question is stupid.

Look it up, try it out to see what it does, try before you buy, read up, where have you been? These answers apply to a disturbingly large percentage of questions asked online, not just on RR or about technology, but generally.

markbart

I try to get manuals all of the newest radios even though I will probably never own or even see one,

Mark

mikepdx

... it just easier to fumble your way through it and ask questions if you get stuck?
Stop with the instant gratification. Learn how to use your scanner and you will be more enjoyment out of it.

Why bother reading a manual when you can ask questions 24/7 and have complete
strangers spoon feed the answers to you free of charge?

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Need a like button, an upvote and a Hell ya.
What you said.

It is tbe same thing when 'people' cant be botuered to actually figure what forum to use... love finding questions about motorola radios in the scanner/receiver forum. Yea too much spoon feeding on this site

ridgescan

No, no they don't. People will spend $30k + on a car and not read the manual, why would they on a $400 scanner?
TRUE! My stepson bought a new Toyota Highlander for $44,000 then tells Mom to ask me this & that since I know stuff about cars-stuff his MANUAL clearly talks about...something I know from reading-HIS MANUAL:D
I love him, but some folks just cannot be bothered with choosing the path to gain knowledge for themselves if they deem the subject even slightly complex. They want others to shoot it to them quick after they made the effort.
Sorry but-dmg1969, I get your frustration.

frazpo

Seems people want instant gratification. Hear it now!. I find it best to sit down with a manual without the item. Just like anything else that is foreign to a person you have to take a methodical approach to learn about something new. Enjoy the challenge and conquer it. Patience!

frazpo

If the manual would fully explain things in a way normal people could comprehend would be good.

I do not think the OP was considering difficult questions. I think he speaks of those that hop on and ask questions without taking any effort to figure stuff out themselves or research the forum for an answer.

ecps92

But it should already be here on RR, why is xxx.xxxx not here :)

People don't seem capable of or interested in learning anything new any more. When they need information, the only research method they know is to ask dumb questions online.

Yes, I said it, "dumb questions." When the answer is staring you in the face but you're too lazy to see it, then asking the question is stupid.

Look it up, try it out to see what it does, try before you buy, read up, where have you been? These answers apply to a disturbingly large percentage of questions asked online, not just on RR or about technology, but generally.

SCPD

QRT
In 35 years I have never truly read a scanner manual from start to end .. because honestly, they suck. The information that is needed almost always is not in there.

Most manufacturers do not take the time to truly write a good manual. And yes I do know how to write a manual .. as I have formal training in that area. But that does not make me want to read them.

Voyager

Seems people want instant gratification.

Winner winner chicken dinner. That's the root of the issue.

It's long been in guy's DNA to not read manuals. But, the recent culture is that everyone expects they should have instant knowledge of anything they touch. Soon, someone will create a program to give us that capability. They will likely call it Skynet. :D

Nasby

I do not think the OP was considering difficult questions. I think he speaks of those that hop on and ask questions without taking any effort to figure stuff out themselves or research the forum for an answer.

Or to say thank you when someone answers their question.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
You have people on here that do not know anything about a computer. They know where the power button is and the keypad. Back in the DOS days installing a piece of hardware Printer, Network Card, Harddrive, ect you had to have skills now people can not even get plug and play right. And yes I started with an 8088 computer with no harddrive running DOS 3.0 on a green monochrome monitor. My first FCC database was connected to with an external hayes 1200K modem 6 hours to download 720K of data imported into DBase 3 and that was a 100 mile circle 5 states.

1200 Baud wow my first modem was 300 Baud. And Bill Gates says no one will ever need more than 640 K of memory too.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I tend to read the manuals IF one is available. They're becoming less prevalent. If you want a manual, you may have to download it. If you order something direct from most Asian countries, whatever manual that might be included doesn't make any sense.

I recently took possession of a 2016 Kia Sorento and I HAD to read the manual. Some much has changed in vehicles in recent years: electric steering, Bluetooth, cameras, automatic breaking systems, etc.

I'm always reluctant to ask questions on forums like this because I don't want people to think I'm as stupid as I really am.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It is not just on the internet. I deal with people face-to-face every day, some college educated, who have absolutely no common sense or communication skills. I don't know how they are smart enough to get out of bed in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.