DC cable connector type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh11

Premium Subscriber

DickH

I just ordered a WS-1095, and need to get a cigarette lighter cord for it. Can anyone tell me the size/type of connector on the end? I would normally just splice on a lighter plug, but Amazon does have some pre-made cords like this:

Amazon.com: 12 Volt DC Cord To Power TVs With A Cigarette Lighter Socket - Universal Connector: Electronics

So if it's the right connector, it would be ideal (though I may need to swap out the fuse of course).

You had better wait until your 1095 arrives. You might be surprised to find a DC Power Cord in the box. Download the manual and look on page 5.

kh11

Premium Subscriber
You might be surprised to find a DC Power Cord in the box. Download the manual and look on page 5.

Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised. I am aware that a DC cable is included. I wanted to know the connector type to see if I could find a pre-made cable assembly with a cigarette lighter plug atrached rather than having to put one on the included cable myself.

DickH

Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised. I am aware that a DC cable is included. I wanted to know the connector type to see if I could find a pre-made cable assembly with a cigarette lighter plug atrached rather than having to put one on the included cable myself.
Since I already have cigarette lighter plugs, it would only take me 3 minutes to do it.

kh11

Premium Subscriber
Since I already have cigarette lighter plugs, it would only take me 3 minutes to do it.

Of course - I would be surprised if it took even that long. However since I don't happen to have a spare in my parts box at the moment and was going to have to order something in any case - and the fact that the price difference between just the plug and a cord assembly was fairly minimal - I thought I would see if anyone knew the specifics of the connector.

Blackswan73

You would be hard pressed to find that connector on a ready-mades cable, unless you bought it from Whistler. That connector is mostly used on laptops. Radio Shack, GRE, and Whistler are the only radios I know of that use it.

dkf435

You would be hard pressed to find that connector on a ready-mades cable, unless you bought it from Whistler. That connector is mostly used on laptops. Radio Shack, GRE, and Whistler are the only radios I know of that use it.

Incorrect, the 6.5x4.4x1.4 mm plug is a EIAJ standard plug for electronics using 13.5 to 18v dc. RadioShack has it as their "T" connector and Philmore has a right angle plug molded to 6ft twin ribbon cable part number TC265

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector

EBAY auction
Philmore TC265 6ft 18AWG Power Cable Cord 4 35mmx6 5mm O D 1 4mm C P Plug | eBay

David

Blackswan73

Incorrect, the 6.5x4.4x1.4 mm plug is a EIAJ standard plug for electronics using 13.5 to 18v dc. RadioShack has it as their "T" connector and Philmore has a right angle plug molded to 6ft twin ribbon cable part number TC265

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector

EBAY auction
Philmore TC265 6ft 18AWG Power Cable Cord 4 35mmx6 5mm O D 1 4mm C P Plug | eBay

David

Yes, it is a EIAJ plug. But he is not likely to find one already made up with a lighter plug. That connector is mainly used for Sony, and Samsung laptops. Most radios do not use them. Only GRE/Whistler, and RS. I bought two on fleabag for $3 and soldered it to a 12v 1a class 2 adapter I bought at Goodwill for $.99. Best bet is to buy a lighter power cable for a Cb at a truck stop, cut the cobra power connector off, and solder on the correct connector.

AC9BX

I don't own models newer than the Pro-197 but I assume it's the same and looking at previous replies it appears so.
Specifically the connector is a EIAJ-05 commonly known as a Sony laptop connector, also a Philmore 265, Radio Shack adaptaplug T. It's available through Digikey and others. Fry's carries the Philmore. This is a Japanese standard and fairly common on equipment from there. This is only for the connector, you'd have to attach it yourself. Or look for the car cord with it but they are more rare.

dkf435

For my quad GRE/PSR setup I took 2 of the Philmore cables and connected to the Radio Shack quick connect lighter plug, took a whole 30 seconds so I have 2 cigarette lighter cable assemblies feeding 4 radios could go the adaptaplug route but that was too expensive.

Also the HP laptops that I have with the Smart Plug on them are 3 conductor and not 2 and are of a different size so you may double check if they are usable with the radios.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.