nxdn

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9lya

Mixed messages concerning nxdn.. Smells more like someone is paying for privacy.

I read Whistler stated at the Daytom Hamfest that something is in the pipeline. Today I got a reply froM Whistler that Licensing issues.. What are any and all licensing restrictions?

Mr. Kutche,

Unfortunately we aren’t able to decode NXDN due to licensing restrictions. Feel free to check back with us next year to see if anything has changed.

Thank you for your interest!

Well if it helps.. It is a waste of my money to buy a scanner .. All police in area are on NXDN.. So no more scanning for me..

Unless I just want to hear the weather,,

Disappointed in all this delay... and Yes I know about AOR about 2x what I am willing to pay.

Jerry

SCPD

QRT
Actually jerry not useless. You can use dsd with your scanner if it's got a discriminator tap. You can use a variety of software along with the scanner to decode digital formats not currently supported. I believe in time those formats may be released for licensing and use to them. However if you look at past it usually takes a bit of time before it happens. Usually the vendors of the radio will migrate to another format and then release patents and licensing on somewhat current but old technology to them. You could always keep eye out for used nxdn capable equipment for rx only. You never know what deal you may come across. But the software with dongle and or dsd and a scanner with a tap is better then nothing for now. Seeing your a ham I would save and look at getting a nxdn capable radio for rx only. It's not a secret but they created their own digital format and own it. It isn't like p25 open digital to vendors to just use even then I believe there is a price for them. But since Idas and nxdn made there own digital world format (icom and kenwood) and sort of made the 2 compatible depending on how the system is its a format they either will charge dear for or not at all for some time. It'll come though but will take time. I reccomend the dsd software method to monitor nxdn. If not Santa is always around the corner and it be good to hint to the boss about a nice nxdn radio lol.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Mr. Kutche,

Unfortunately we aren’t able to decode NXDN due to licensing restrictions. Feel free to check back with us next year to see if anything has changed.

Thank you for your interest!

Interesting statement. NXDN is used by several LMR manufacturers as well as AOR. The technical specifications are here: NXDN Forum Website
Licensing the VoCoDer might be the issue, but many have already done it. Sounds like Whistler just isn't willing to invest in NXDN right now.

Well if it helps.. It is a waste of my money to buy a scanner .. All police in area are on NXDN.. So no more scanning for me..

There are other options. Some have purchased used NXDN radios and programmed them for RX only. Perfectly legal. NXDN uses the same AMBE+2 vocoder as P25 and DMR, so there really isn't any secret here. Just sounds like Whistler isn't ready to invest in this yet.

Blackswan73

I am confused. Op is located in Indiana. I was under the impression all police systems in Indiana was either Motorola SAFE T, or P25, with all agencies eventually converting to P25 phase 1. So if the OP's police are nxdn, how are they compataple with the rest of the state?

RonnieUSA

I am confused. Op is located in Indiana. I was under the impression all police systems in Indiana was either Motorola SAFE T, or P25, with all agencies eventually converting to P25 phase 1. So if the OP's police are nxdn, how are they compataple with the rest of the state?
Guess they aren't, I think this is what they wants to listen to.

155.56500 WNY594 RM Bdfrd PD F1 Bedford Police Dispatch NXDN Law Dispatch
154.80000 KSA408 BM Bdfrd PD F3 Bedford Police Operations NXDN Law Tac
158.77500 KGL518 BM Bdfrd PD F8 Bedford Police Operations NXDN Law Tac

Lawrence County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

SCPD

QRT
More and more departments in Indiana have went or going the NXDN route.

Last time I spend some time there, most systems still had a analog or another channel still active and monitorable by most scanners, at least for dispatch.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
With Bedford pd, don't expect to be able to listen even if there was a nxdn capable scanner. They are known for using encryption if it's available. They were enc on vhf then on SafeT. While I haven't attempted to monitor them with dsd, I'd be very surprised if they didn't turn enc on with the new radios.

Jeff.

SCPD

QRT
With Bedford pd, don't expect to be able to listen even if there was a nxdn capable scanner. They are known for using encryption if it's available. They were enc on vhf then on SafeT. While I haven't attempted to monitor them with dsd, I'd be very surprised if they didn't turn enc on with the new radios.

Jeff.

Is the CLEO appointed or elected?

Not interested in a pro/con discussion of encryption (against the rules), just interested in how decisions are made there.

It is always interesting, I travel a great deal for work and I have always found that if the decision is up to a elected official they tend to err on the side of transparency.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
You can buy a used nxdn radio for less than a digital scanner. A lot less some times

For conventional monitoring of NXDN an NXDN radio will work fine(ASSume no encryption) but with out having the radio legitimately provisioned on a NXDN trunk system, it will NOT unmute. Even if the repeaters are programmed conventionally.

If you want to listen to a NXDN trunk system DSD or a provisioned subscriber is your only option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rapidcharger

For conventional monitoring of NXDN an NXDN radio will work fine(ASSume no encryption) but with out having the radio legitimately provisioned on a NXDN trunk system, it will NOT unmute. Even if the repeaters are programmed conventionally.

If you want to listen to a NXDN trunk system DSD or a provisioned subscriber is your only option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very true

sent via tapatalk on a mobile device.

n9lya

Hi ..
That is exactly what I see on Radioreference for Lawrence county Indiana.. But a good friend of mine who over sees Emergency Communcations and works closely with Law enforcement told me they are using NXDN and I have scanned the listed Frequencies using my 106PRO and have not heard any of them. So I am taking him at his work also basing it on the total lack of activity on the (LISTED) freqs and mode here...

Yea I have no idea how they could be compatible.

Maybe it is not true and I am miss informed. But then I have to ask how do I FIND them.. I have not heard anything on the listed frequencies not even encrypted and was told they are use NXDN??

I know they recently added P25 Phase II... and my scanner is not capable of that either.. I better do some more research... Will look at adding a discriminator circuit as suggested so I can try and see what is out there.. I can add it for pennies so may be worth it just to verify who is where doing what?

Thanks Everyone for the replies.. Not sure how to verify the Nexedge herein Lawrence County yet... May have to go to the Horses Mouth.. I have a ex-coworker who may be willing to verify what radios that he is using on the force.

Thanks Jerry N9LYA

n9lya

Guess they aren't, I think this is what they wants to listen to.

155.56500 WNY594 RM Bdfrd PD F1 Bedford Police Dispatch NXDN Law Dispatch
154.80000 KSA408 BM Bdfrd PD F3 Bedford Police Operations NXDN Law Tac
158.77500 KGL518 BM Bdfrd PD F8 Bedford Police Operations NXDN Law Tac

Lawrence County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I missed this reply... Thanks.. Yes that may very well be them...

Is there anywhere that shows what Micthell IN Police are using .. They vanished and I was told they went to NXDN also..

Thanks Jerry

SCPD

QRT
I missed this reply... Thanks.. Yes that may very well be them...

Is there anywhere that shows what Micthell IN Police are using .. They vanished and I was told they went to NXDN also..

Thanks Jerry

On a older (no date) scanner frequencies document I have the following for Mitchell, this is different than what RR database states:

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Is the CLEO appointed or elected?

Not interested in a pro/con discussion of encryption (against the rules), just interested in how decisions are made there.

It is always interesting, I travel a great deal for work and I have always found that if the decision is up to a elected official they tend to err on the side of transparency.

Sheriff would have been elected, police chief would have been appointed/hired. The last I knew only the PD was encrypted, sheriff was not. This town has been using encryption in various forms for ~15years or more. I believe they were using simple voice inversion back in the late 90's.

Jeff

SCPD

QRT
Sheriff would have been elected, police chief would have been appointed/hired. The last I knew only the PD was encrypted, sheriff was not. This town has been using encryption in various forms for ~15years or more. I believe they were using simple voice inversion back in the late 90's.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Hi ..
That is exactly what I see on Radioreference for Lawrence county Indiana.. But a good friend of mine who over sees Emergency Communcations and works closely with Law enforcement told me they are using NXDN and I have scanned the listed Frequencies using my 106PRO and have not heard any of them. So I am taking him at his work also basing it on the total lack of activity on the (LISTED) freqs and mode here...

Yea I have no idea how they could be compatible.

Maybe it is not true and I am miss informed. But then I have to ask how do I FIND them.. I have not heard anything on the listed frequencies not even encrypted and was told they are use NXDN??

I know they recently added P25 Phase II... and my scanner is not capable of that either.. I better do some more research... Will look at adding a discriminator circuit as suggested so I can try and see what is out there.. I can add it for pennies so may be worth it just to verify who is where doing what?

Thanks Everyone for the replies.. Not sure how to verify the Nexedge herein Lawrence County yet... May have to go to the Horses Mouth.. I have a ex-coworker who may be willing to verify what radios that he is using on the force.

Thanks Jerry N9LYA

All you would hear (with your scanner) on the NXDN freqs will be a digital motor boating sound. I'm pretty sure it would sound basically the same, whether it was encrypted or not. If you have data skip turned on, on your scanner, it could be interpreting the NXDN stuff as data and muting it.

As for going p25 phase 2, I doubt it. There's been some confusion with the terminology being used in reference to the upgrade to the existing SafeT system. The system is being upgradedfrom motorola type 2 to P25 in phases. So, phase 1 of the upgrade is the SE corner of the state. Phase 2 is the SW corner. But the system itself is all still P25 phase 1. The last I've heard is the system is supposed to migrate to p25 phase2 around 2020.

As far as interoperability goes, county and city officers and dispatch should still have access to the SafeT system for the mutual aid talk groups. It's possible, too, that sheriff and local state police units have been provided NXDN radios.

Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.