• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100 Bank/Zone limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully this isnt a repeat.

I am trying to identify bank limitations on th Harris XG-100.

1) Are there channel limits?

2) Can I mix V/UHF in same bank (Thought I read that you can, I am a Motorola guy coming into Harris cold).

3) Is it possible to put Trunked and conventional in the same bank or are they seperate?

4) Is there a limit to the number of zones/banks?

Any help offered is very appreciated.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
1 - Yes, there is a limit. It is currently 1,250 conventional channels per Mission Plan, 10 Mission Plans per radio. M/A Com Harris Radio Personality Limits | NØMB Tech Blog
2 - Yes, you can have any frequency you want mixed in a single system
3 - You can create a zone that references conventional and trunked objects, but they wont scan each other. The way to do that is make a system of conventional channels you want scanned. Then selected that in the Conventional Priority Scan dropdown in the trunked system. During trunking the conventional channels will be scanned alongside the trunked groups.
4 - 512 systems (akin to Motorola Zones)

In Harris:
A channel / group holds the frequency or talkgroup and alpha tag.
A system is a collection of channels or groups and holds the overall trunked system information OR the conventional settings (like P25 or analog etc)
A Zone holds a mix of channels/groups from ANY system in the radio.

Hope that helps!

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Lets be sure i got this. I can have up to 512 systems/banks/zones, but if it is a mixed zone (Trunked and Conventional) the only limitation is not scanning.

I am not too concerned with the programming aspect (thank God) but I am building the groups (Zones) based on geography. Wanted to make sure there was enough room.

I will find some material on the Mission Plan, though. I dont think i got the jist of what that is.

Thank you for the reply.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Coming from a Motorola background, it's very important to know the difference between systems/zones/groups. (Harris calls talkgroups "groups" so that's what I use) Zones are completely optional in the radio, they are simply a way to organize your most popular channels into one 'bunch' that you can select with the top knob easier.

For instance, you have a system for your local PD's conventional system. You have 20 channels in there with all the dispatch, ops and tac channels and their backups. You have another system with the countys trunked system with all 40 of their groups in it. You can then make a zone with PD Dispatch 1, SO Dispatch 1, PD Tac 1, SO Tac 2 etc in it mixing between them. That way you have the handful of channels you use all the time in an easy to access zone. If you need to use the backup channels or some rarely used interop group you can switch to that system directly and see all the channels/groups available.

TBH I'm not 100% if the zones count against the 512 total, the documentation doesn't really specifically call it out. I have mine set up with well over 1,700 channels/groups total in 70 systems and it hasn't complained about being too full yet.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
So when you say system, is that the equivalent to /\/\ zones or am i missing the boat on this? What I need to do is set up a geographical plan. So say I have an incident at the south end of town. I want the following:
1) Our dispatch (conv)
2) Mutual Aid towns ( Mix of P25/Trunked/Analog/Digital)
3) Statewide and national I/O

Can I put that in one system/zone/bank/collection?

Can I do the same in a seperate system/zone/bank/collection for the North, West and East?
How many of those geographicla situations can I plug into our radios.

It appears storage space will NOT be an issue, I need to make sure that Functionality is not an issue either.

Again, this input is appreciated.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Yep, Systems in Harris is the equivalent of a Zone in Motorola.

What you need to do it make a system for each agency you need. Put all the channels or groups for each agency in that system. So if you have 6 agencies you need to work with, make 6 systems with the complete set for each.

Then make a zone for each geographic area you will be operating in, and select groups/channels from the systems you made before.

For instance, in a very simplified example, pretend each system in your radio looks like this:
System 1 - City A
Ch1 - North Dispatch
Ch2 - South Dispatch
Ch3 - East Dispatch
Ch4 - West Dispatch
Ch5 - North Ops
etc

System 2 - County B
Ch1 - North Dispatch
Ch2 - South Dispatch
Ch3 - East Dispatch
Ch4 - West Dispatch
Ch5 - North Ops
etc

Now make a zone called "North" and each slot will look like this:
Slot 1 - System 1 Ch1 - North Dispatch
Slot 2 - System 1 Ch5 - North Ops
Slot 3 - System 2 Ch1 - North Dispatch
Slot 4 - System 2 Ch5 - North Ops
etc

Do the same for south, east, west or whatever you need. This way you get the most bang for your buck without programming the same things in multiple times. Just put everything you'd ever need for each individual agency in a system and then cherry-pick the ones you want for your geographic zones.

You can't mix conventional and trunked in the same SYSTEM but you can mix them in a ZONE. I just checked the RPM helpfile and it appears version R10 supports 50 zones. Unsure if R12 supports more.

freeonfreak

Premium Subscriber
So here's a break down for the Unity Portable:
VHF (136-174) 6W, UHF (380-512) 5W,7/800 (764-870) 3W.
1000 Conventional Channels per Conventional System (P25 or Analog)
1250 Talkgroups per Trunking System
512 Systems per Mission Plan (Conventional Analog, Conventional P25, and P25T I/II)
50 Mixed Systems Zones per Mission Plan (like M Zones) / 48 Channel Assignments per Zone
10 Mission Plans per radio (selectable).

Status
Not open for further replies.