• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Personality deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

I know it's probably a stupid question, but is it possible to delete the radio personality without the radio needing to be hooked back up to the programming software?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
That would not be a wise feature to include in a radio intended for public safety uses.

I can see it now:

"Hey, Muldoon, I accidently wiped my radio out again! Can I go to the radio shop and have them reprogram it for me?"

"No way, Ross! You and I both know that you'll spend all day at the strip club right across the street from the radio shop if I let you do that, and if I ain't going, you ain't going, either!"

TDR-94

I was thinking along the lines of if there was some kind of hidden key press sequence.Obviously it would not make sense in a public safety setting to have such a option. It just kinda sucks to have to reprogram the radio back to it's default to and remove the personality for resale :)

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
There are worse things. Like when you encounter a bunch of XTS3000s that were programmed with an advanced system key, and they're surplus, and you can NOT reprogram them without having the same ASK that they were programmed with. You can't even delete the existing file without it, which makes the radio both USELESS for resale and DANGEROUS if whomever has them is within range of their home system, it's still active, and the radios aren't stunned, inhibited, or killed.

There is a way to render those radios clean and useful again but it's a different subject entirely...

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
There is a factory reset key-sequence that pretty much wipes the entire radio for the XG100 series.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Are there factory reset key-sequence to wipe out all memory from older series radios, like Jaguar 700P for instance?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
No idea, but our Marines would certainly find it if they had access to the radios. We didn't know that the key-sequence was there for the XG100Ps, but Marines started bringing radios in that they wiped clean by the button press sequence.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
No idea, but our Marines would certainly find it if they had access to the radios. We didn't know that the key-sequence was there for the XG100Ps, but Marines started bringing radios in that they wiped clean by the button press sequence.

Im sure there is a key sequence for all the radios. I know you can put a lot of them into programming mode ( still need RPM to program it) by Pressing the three buttons on the side all at once while turning it on.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
How about this: besides getting into programming mode.... Is there any other button pushes besides that on any of the Harris radios people would like to share. I think its useful cause it might be something to be mindful of so we don't brick our radios.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It is programmable. We reprogrammed them to change the button press sequence to make it harder to erase in the future. I cannot remember the original sequence.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The only "key-press-to-delete-things" I know of on the portables is holding the two side buttons in (the opt buttons not PTT) to KEY ZERO the radio. Aside from that, I dont think there is a way to intentionally brick the radio from the front panel, which is good.

The XG-100p has the reset procedure as a key hold sequence because there is no real way to communicate with the radio if it becomes locked up somehow. Older models could at least be booted into BURNAPP to do some recovery but it seems Harris doesn't want you to be able to see into the inner workings on the Unity. It does have serial in/out ports on the UDC but I haven't investigated what those do yet.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
That would not be a wise feature to include in a radio intended for public safety uses.

I can see it now:

"Hey, Muldoon, I accidently wiped my radio out again! Can I go to the radio shop and have them reprogram it for me?"

"No way, Ross! You and I both know that you'll spend all day at the strip club right across the street from the radio shop if I let you do that, and if I ain't going, you ain't going, either!"

It seems the simple solution would be to move the radio shop away from the strip club...

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
It seems the simple solution would be to move the radio shop away from the strip club...

Or like most reputable bigger named radio support authorized dealer shops... They will come out with a good lap top and reprogram it for you right at your station house. Individual radio shops are becoming more far a few. Bigger authorized dealers have moved into the game to do the jobs for nearly the same price and most offer the service to come to you for fixing not the other way around.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Thought you guys might be interested in this bulletin from Harris. Yes, you can "Master Reset" the radio blowing everything out of it. The procedure on this bulletin will work on radios that have Firmware XGPRO02XXX or better installed.

If you have Firmware prior to the XGPROXXXXX versions you use the same procedure, just don't use the PTT.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IPN7-10(1).pdf
    221.9 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.