Getting Ready to Pull the Trigger on BCD436HP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, after much lurking, reading countless threads on issues, problems etc., and changing my mind countless times, I think that I'm close to ordering a BCD436HP from Amazon.

The County where I live has gone P25 Phase II which my current 396t won't receive. I considered the Whistler WS1080, but I am NOT computer savvy in any way, and the 436HP seems a little more user friendly in that regard. I spend way more time listening to a scanner (mine is on 24/7/365) than having it connected to a computer, and usually seek assistance when I have to reprogram the 396. I have had my 396t since 2005, so I am a little more familiar with the Uniden interface. I want a handheld since I frequently travel with my scanner. I listen to mostly 800 trunked systems with some low and high band in the rural areas.

It bugs me to do business with a company that has left customers in a situation that exists with the BCDX36 scanners, but it boils down to choosing what I hope is best for me.

Any last minute advice/tips/input is more than welcome.

One specific question. I currently listen to the Shenandoah National Park VA from my home in Central Maryland on my old 396t. Is there any reason why the 436HP would not receive Shenandoah?

Thanks

troymail

Silent Key
Can't say that the x36 radios are any less complicated than GRE/Whistler units.... at least not in my opinion. Either way - lots to have patience with and learn.

Have you downloaded and tried the programming software for both (Sentinel, EZ Scan, etc.)? Worth the time if nothing else than to start getting familiar with it before you get your new radio - maybe even before you decide.

Shenandoah National Park from Md.... hmmmm... where are you? If the 396 receives it with whatever your configuration is, the x36 should also.

I prefer handhelds also but I got impatient and wasted money on the 536 and then got a chance to test drive a 436 (eventually bought one)... live and learn... particularly when it comes to any new Uniden in the future -- I learned big time to wait next time (if I get another at all from Uniden).

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
I have not had a Uniden since Bc250 if I remember number right. I do have psr800 (gre version of ws1080) . Nothing local is P25 ph2, but the scanner does well. No problem to set up or operate.
Menus are not as convenient as a full set of buttons on a keyboard, once set up about all I do is turn scan sets on and off. If you know anyone who has either radio or both see if you can get some hands on before you buy.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Just got my 436 about 3 hours ago

From The Ham Station works great now charging the required time. Traded my #2 HP2 in for it. But still have my other HP2 I too was concerned about Unidens lack of response to certain issues but overall it's a nice radio.

Just monitoring the BLM and VFD's on the Soda fire in Oyhee County here in SW Idaho 250,000 acres today

So far liking the 436 might be a larger card it it lots of informative videos on tube

Best of luck

John
Boise, Idaho

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi 1075:

I was "on the fence" about the 436 for several months after the intro. I too read all the posts on here about the good, the bad, and the ugly features of this model, but it was time to upgrade to a more modern scanner. Just like you, I had been using a 396T since 2006 and since I had become familiar with the Uniden, and was happy with a handheld scanner, I took the plunge. I have no regrets.

The 436 is a terrific unit, and although many owners have had numerous issues with them, I am happy to report that mine is working just like it did when I took it out of the box and I have no complaints. Well, OK, there is the issue of the glare from the sunlight and how it bleaches out the screen on a sunny day, and although it can be an annoyance, it's hardly something that would make me get rid of it. The screen contains a lot of information and it makes me squint sometimes, but I've gotten used to it.

The Sentinel software for programming the scanner will take some getting used to, but when you get the hang of it - it's a piece of cake.

So, that's my opinion, for what it's worth. I hope you go for the 436, and if so, let us know how you like it. Good luck.

Russell

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
When you buy it, make sure you buy a second microSD card, just in case the original gets corrupted. Back up your card as often as you can. With that said, I am very happy with my 436. Yeah, I have the clock issue, but it doesn't stop it from scanning what i want it to. Go for it. You'll love it.

Nasby

You are a brave soul.
Best of luck to you.
I hope you have a problem free, fun filled experience!!

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
So far after a few hours trying it out I find it is more sensitive than my HP2 picking up some freqs I never hear before ( same telescopic antenna) nice features. Most radios are going to have little issues wether it be user or functional issues bottom line is enjoy the hobby with whatever radio you decide on.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone, much appreciated! Keep it coming.

As far as downloading the Sentinel or EZ Scansoftware, I haven't tried it. I don't own a Windows computer but I think I can use my Mac Powerbook with VMware as N2MWE has suggested, but I'm hoping to get some help from a friend who works in IT and also has scanners (HP2 I think).

My plan is to spend some time this weekend on YouTube watching demo videos, and reading the manual online.

k3fs

Save yourself some money and potential grief. Get the 325P2. It will decode phase II if needed. It can also use your 396T file. You will not have to reprogram anything. You are already familiar with how the radio works.

There are still too many issues, that have no fix. These problems take a little time to show up, and the odds increase with time. If you do not mind spending top dollar for a radio that has an increasing chance of RTC, and or display dimming issues, for which there is no fix, then go for it. You will likely get more years of use out of anything but, the 436. Not to mention that analyze features are not what was advertised.

SCPD

QRT
Just bought a HP1 recently and love it. And I am an advanced user, scanning 35+ years. But that along with the HP2, is the only Uniden model I would consider. To me it is all about the user interface .. if I hate to use the scanner, I will not like it.

The user interface in the Whistler scanners and HomePatrol models are just so superior. It all depends on what you like and what your preferences are. I think if you like the 396 then the 436 will be fine for you.

However .. I had a 436HP and hated it. Sold it off very fast.

So the real answer, you will never get all of us to agree .. some hate that radio and some love it.

It is totally personal preference.

XTS3000

OP, your buying a scanner that the RTC will fail. The backlight will dim just as the scanner's warranty expires. So make sure you put $100-200 aside to get the 436 repaired in a few years.

Wouldn't touch the 436 with a 10 foot pole. It's the turd in the punch bowl IMHO.

wise871

Database Admin
The problems will happen the more you use the scanner. The reason some are not seeing it yet is they haven't used it as long as power users. Nothing has changed in design so you can count on the problems reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyager

It's also been reported that setting the backlight on low or mid level will mitigate the issue. I haven't tried that myself, but it makes sense if the LEDs are failing (which is proven is what is happening).

stingray327

This scanner has a visibility problem especially if you are using it in the car. Can't read screen as print is too small. It's impossible to see because of the screen layout and color. Not easy to use while driving so you must pull over to the side of road to make any adjustments.
Has only 3AA batteries so they won't last longer than 8 hours or less.

wise871

Database Admin
It's also been reported that setting the backlight on low or mid level will mitigate the issue. I haven't tried that myself, but it makes sense if the LEDs are failing (which is proven is what is happening).

Setting it to low or medium makes it about impossible to read in most conditions unless your directly in front of it just right and your using 3-line only.

wise871

Database Admin
This scanner has a visibility problem especially if you are using it in the car. Can't read screen as print is too small. It's impossible to see because of the screen layout and color. Not easy to use while driving so you must pull over to the side of road to make any adjustments.

This would be solved if the display was brighter like all the other scanners out on the market. I find the x36 has the dimmest display (when working) than any other scanner on the market.

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,415

stingray327

This would be solved if the display was brighter like all the other scanners out on the market. I find the x36 has the dimmest display (when working) than any other scanner on the market.

I belive there is an adjustment to reduce number of lines and maybe change size of font on 436.
I have HP2 and that is difficult in daylight to see in car because sun washes out screen.
The HP2 makes a great base station for home use.

Status
Not open for further replies.