Pics of Antenna Install, 2 new Yagi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
So I purchased 2 new Yagi's....One for WDCMA band (1700 to 2200) Mhz for my Wind Mobile service. ( I installed an amplifier in the house)

And one 800 to 900 Mhz Yagi strictly for the Region of Peel Phase II.

They must have installed some kind of repeater/antenna at the Chrysler Drive recycling centre..Williams/Chrysler Drive... As soon as I point the Yagi at that centre, boom, the signal is amazing ( I am about 2 kms away).

If anyone is interested in cheap yagi's to do some testing etc, Amazon.ca is selling them for 20 to 25 dollars. They are supplied by "phonetone", they are for cell, but seem to work great on scanners as well. They come with "N" female connectors.

Pics below

DSC_0304 by CYYZGUY, on Flickr

DSC_0303 by CYYZGUY, on Flickr

DSC_0305 by CYYZGUY, on Flickr

Hope you like the work!

Jason

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks good. A proper antenna will make a huge difference.

Two suggestions I'd make, only because I've been working in the industry a long time and seen a lot of failures:
1. Waterproof your connections. Don't rely on the connector or crimp to do it for you.
2. The white or "natural" color ty-wraps do not usually have any UV protection. After a few months in the sun you'll notice they start to get brittle. I'll only use the black ty-wraps that are specifically designed for outdoor use and are sold as such. They the UV inhibitors in them, and they'll last many years.

Your entire antenna install looks great. Nice to see someone do such a good job on something like this. Antennas can really make or break a system.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Looks good. A proper antenna will make a huge difference.

Two suggestions I'd make, only because I've been working in the industry a long time and seen a lot of failures:
1. Waterproof your connections. Don't rely on the connector or crimp to do it for you.
2. The white or "natural" color ty-wraps do not usually have any UV protection. After a few months in the sun you'll notice they start to get brittle. I'll only use the black ty-wraps that are specifically designed for outdoor use and are sold as such. They the UV inhibitors in them, and they'll last many years.

Your entire antenna install looks great. Nice to see someone do such a good job on something like this. Antennas can really make or break a system.

Thank you sir for the comments...You have a good eye..the only connection I have not waterproofed is the one you saw, for the YagI I just put up...My cable is not long enough to go in to the basement so I have it temporarily attached, all my other connections are first electrical taped, then about 3 layers of liquid electrical tape over that. It forms a nice rubberized seal. At some point I will re zip those connections. I did not know they make UV resistant ones......Good info!

mrweather

Yes, nice installation! Just a thought: Your signal improvement may not be so much that you're getting a stronger desired signal but that you're nulling undesired signals to the sides and back of the Yagi (as was suggested in the other thread).

In the end as long as you're seeing an improvement that's all that matters. :)

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Yes, nice installation! Just a thought: Your signal improvement may not be so much that you're getting a stronger desired signal but that you're nulling undesired signals to the sides and back of the Yagi (as was suggested in the other thread).

In the end as long as you're seeing an improvement that's all that matters. :)

This is definitely what its doing....I also get a full 5 bars on my Diamond Discone, but the transmissions are not even close to being understandable. With the Yagi, it seems to have cut out all the simulcast distortion. I still get a small amount of ERR rate, no higher then 10 however on my 436.

Cheers

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you sir for the comments...You have a good eye..the only connection I have not waterproofed is the one you saw, for the YagI I just put up...My cable is not long enough to go in to the basement so I have it temporarily attached, all my other connections are first electrical taped, then about 3 layers of liquid electrical tape over that. It forms a nice rubberized seal. At some point I will re zip those connections. I did not know they make UV resistant ones......Good info!

Sorry to be "that guy". I know the feeling....

The black zip ties are all I'll ever buy now. They will usually last for many years outdoors. Costs a bit more, but saves trips up and down the ladder. They still break down after a while, though.

Still, looks really good. I love to see when someone really puts some effort into the installs. Good external antenna systems often get overlooked by many hobbyists. Makes a huge difference in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.