BCD996P2 Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Afternoon all. I just picked up the 996p2 and it is creating hash all over the lower HF bands. I would like to replace the stock power supply with the one posted below. Does anyone see any issues with specs for the replacement?

The stock power supply DC switching power supply 13.8V DC 750mA

The replacement DC Regulated Linear Wall Adapter 12 Volt 0.5 Amp

DDU120050F0981: JAMECO VALUEPRO: Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

Thank you for any and all help
Mike

Last edited:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Looks like your short about 250 mA. The lower voltage probably won't make a difference but I would get one with a little more current capacity (at least 750 mA).
BB

jackj

Are you sure that hash is coming from the power supply and not from the 996's computer? A quick test would be to run the scanner on a battery.

SCPD

QRT
Wa0cbw: I will go with the 1 amp version. I think the tolerances should be ok with the +/- voltages as you stated.

Jackj: I don't have a battery to test it with. I see the hash/rfi as soon as i plug in the stock power supply. It happens while the unit is on and off.

I will try and post a before and after picture.

SCPD

QRT
Unit ON-Plugged in.jpg
Scanner is on and plugged in

Unit OFF-Plugged in.jpg
Scanner is off. Power supply connected

Unit Off UnPlugged still in wall.jpg
Scanner is not plugged in but power supply is still in the wall

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I just run one of my scanners off the 35 Amp PS that runs the radios. I use the DC power cord that you use for mobile installations.

SCPD

QRT
I would prefer a wallwart but if i have to go with an external brick style PS then i have no choice.

Voyager

The advantage of getting a higher capacity PS is that you have room to add scanners if needed with no additional purchase. Stay away from the switching power supplies (wall wart style or otherwise).

My configuration is exactly what EAF posted.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you guys for all the input and advice. I'm going to try the wall-wart first. If that does not work i guess getting a 10-20amp box power supply will be my only option.

jackj

Mike,
Most scanners only pull about 1/2 amp at 13.5 volts. You could look on e-Bay for a 2.5 to 3.0 amp liner power supply. That would be big enough to run 3 or 4 scanners and it won't have the switching transients of a switching supply. But almost all of the cheaper supplies won't safely deliver their rated output continously so don't load them up to their full rating.

jackj

Good luck Mike. You might end up with the same problem, it doesn't say that the supply includes noise filters on the output.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The new Class VI power supplies required by DOE are switching power supplies. They are very efficient, but also very RF noisy. Older linear power supplies are pretty quiet (just 60 Hz noise to worry about, really).

SCPD

QRT
Hey Paul thanks for chiming in. Always a pleasure...

I have a Jameco (same specs just lower voltage) power supplies for my afedri-sdr and it is on the same line as all my other equipment (no issues at all). If it is the same as the stock Uniden then it's going back and will go with what you guys recommended originally.

Last edited:

Voyager

The link said it weighed over a pound, so it may be a non-switcher. Switchers are usually pretty light.

SCPD

QRT
Just received the power supply and have zero issues now. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

The stock power supply has an output close to 14.0v and the replacement is outputting at 12.5v
I don't think running it at 1.5v below the stock power supply is going to harm the radio.

jackj

Glad you solved your problem, Mike.

No, the reduced voltage will have no effect. It will be like running your scanner in your car without the engine running.

Status
Not open for further replies.