• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Will a 10-meter hamstick work on 11-meters by lengthening it some?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hello,
I was wanting to know if a 10-meter hamstick mobile antenna can be made to work on 11-meters CB by adding a longer tapering whip element? If so, where could I get a whip element that would fit inside of a hamstick loaded bottom half section?
Thank you

cmdrwill

The 'whip' antenna rod is much the same as most low/2mtr base load mobile antennas use.

They are 49" with some at 52".

W8VI

Most Ham Radio stores sell replacement whip's in various sizes. It might be worth giving one a call to check. You should be able to find the thickness of the whip by doing a google search of Hamstick whips.

But before I did all that I'd want to make sure that the 10 meter hamstick was capable of transmitting a signal on 27 MHz with a low SWR - somewhere around 1.5:1 or less. To do this I would remove the whip and temporarily replace it with a 65" section of firm copper or steel wire.

To keep the wire vertical and what has worked for me was to use fishing line and a high tree branch or roof overhang to keep the wire in place. Then all you have to do is cut the wire to the lowest SWR to find the optimal whip length. If you do need to order a whip you will have a better idea of the length you will need +/- 10%. Hamstick at one time did make a 11 meter version and I believe the company that is now manufacturing their equivalent antennas has one for 11 meters.

I operate a lot of HF mobile and for me half of the fun is experimenting with and optimizing antennas for the various ham bands while mobile and portable. Enjoy the challenge..

73, Gary

K7MEM

I ran into a similar situation recently, but I was trying to use a 11 meter antenna on 10 meters.

The antenna I had was a old Radio Shack antenna that was advertised as a "1/2 Wave Coaxial Antenna". Another name for this type of antenna are "vertical dipole". While the connection point is at the base, the actual feed point is in the center. But there was no way to trim the antenna for 10 meter use.

I initially thought of just building a 10 meter tuner, but thought there might be a simple way. So I read a bit about "Stub Matching". I had some short lengths of RG-8, with connectors, hanging around so I added a Coaxial-T at the feed point and started to add various length open stubs. I found that I could easily move the minimum SWR point down in frequency. In fact, I was able to move it to the 12 meter band. But I wanted to move the minimum SWR point up in frequency.

So I changed the configuration slightly and moved the Coaxial-T about 2' from the feed point. Then I attached various length open stubs from the Coaxial-T. Very quickly, the minimum SWR point was moved up to 28.150 MHz and gave be good coverage of the low end of the band, which is exactly what I wanted. The SWR is now about 1.2:1 at 28.120 MHz, where PSK31 is available.

If you have detailed information about your antenna feed point, it is a relatively simple matter to use a Smith Chart to calculate a stub. But I used a simple, unscientific, method or "cut and try". It does help to have a SWR bridge and a antenna analyzer. I used a older MFJ-259 to get the antenna in the ballpark and then the SWR bridge to double check it.

For dual band use, the stub could me made switchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.