Has anyone noticed????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
That the modulation is way down on PFD Ch 1 (154.190) and it seems the signal is weaker?

KB7MIB

The audio level used to vary according to which site they were transmitting from, according to the distance from that site to your listening location. For me, if a Scottsdale call was dispatched, the audio was lower. If it was followed by a Glendale call, the audio got louder.

Now it's uniformly way down.

Basically, it's rendered Phoenix alarm dispatches unmonitorable by me, because I can't receive K-1 on Simulcasts G or A due to multi-path either. (And I don't have the funds for a directional antenna.)

I wish they'd either fix the audio level issue on A-1, or put K-1 back on an IR site (North Mtn, South Mtn, White Tanks, or Thompson Peak) so it's monitorable by citizens.

John
Peoria

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Thanks John! I agree the CAD Voice is very low. I even up the volume adjustment on the BC15 on that channel and still it's an issue. When the live dispatcher comes on the channel it about blows the windows out of the car..LOL.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Could it be that not all of the transmitters have been adjusted for for narrow band modulation? A narrow band transmitter will not sound as loud as a wide band transmitter. Now over 2-years past the January 2013 narrow band deadline we still have agencies come into the shop that haven't narrow banded some of their equipment.
BB

rwier

It seems like it goes up and down to me. I don't know but I just assumed they use different transmitter sites for dispatches to other areas of the valley.

That's they way I have found it also. I've even suspected console switching (different voices). Sometimes it goes back and forth (high/low volume) several times an hour.

KB7MIB

It appears that A-1 is back to normal volume. I noticed it a couple of days ago.

Either they already knew about it and were working on it, or they saw this thread and fixed the issue lol

John
Peoria

Phoenix805

Thanks John, I'll put it back in and try it again. I locked it out a few days ago because it was driving me crazy. I've just been using K1 which is OK, but I get a lot of cut-offs on that one, I assume because of the simulcasting or intermod or whatever. Or maybe it's just a cheap radio.

Yep, back to where it was, up and down, but at least it's better than being constantly down.

Last edited:

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
It appears that A-1 is back to normal volume. I noticed it a couple of days ago.

Either they already knew about it and were working on it, or they saw this thread and fixed the issue lol

John
Peoria

Yup I noticed that on Wednesday. I believe it came back up sometime between 9a & 10a. I was out and about and all of a sudden they were blowing to windows out of the car. So I had to spend the afternoon undoing all of the channel volumes that I adjusted on Monday..LOL It also sounds like the east side (Scottsdale) dispatching has better modulation as well.

KB7MIB

If the issue has been fixed due to someone at the FD or a city radio tech seeing this thread, I want to say thank you to them. It is appreciated :)

If it was already known about before this thread, and it just took some time to get a part or whathaveyou, I still say thank you.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.