MD-380 vs CS750

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynzoid

My head is exploding here.
Are there any serious differences functionality wise between these two?
As i understand both does not support IP Site Connect. Or am i wrong? Both will NOT work with cap+ trunking, both will NOT be compatible with strong moto encryption. Or will they?
I like 380's display, but CS750 'looks' like a more advanced radio. Or is it?

Any opinion would be appreciated.

Take a look at used Motorolas as well. With the XPR7550 being out, many of the earlier models are becoming available at reasonable prices. That also gives you the MotoTrbo features you mentioned.

lynzoid

Yes, i do have DP moto and it's great. But i wanted to venture into 'modern amateur cheap DMR'. Also, moto 'ecosystem' is kinda 'heavy' - all these chargers, batts etc.

Ideally i'd love to have 2 cheap DMR radios for walkabouts and monitoring, BUT as feature rich as possible.
Thanks.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I started with a CS-700. It was ok, and I bought a CS-701 for VHF. I waited and waited for firmware updates, more patiently than most. I eventually got an early firmware CS-750 and it was unusable due to all of the bugs.

I sold all three radios (and a pile of analog stuff that was gathering dust) and bought two XPR 7550's... VHF and UHF. I couldn't be happier.

I understand the firmware on these Chinese radios is getting better all the time, but none of them will touch a Motorola or a Hytera. I wouldn't have gotten into DMR without a sub-$200 radio, but I'm glad I've moved past those now.

Just my $0.02.

RayAir

Between the CS-750 and the MD380 I would go with the 380. That's my opinion.

Not paying Motorola $260 Plus $70 for a cable for a 3 year CPS license.

If you can have someone program a Motorola XPR for you, for amateur use it would be a great radio.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
On the MD-380 you need the light on to be able to read the display screen.
I think the CS750 has better firmware and it will get better in the long run into 2016 year.
CS750/CS751 is great starter DMR radio for most people.

If you can't make up your mind! Get both radio :p

CS750 vs MD-380 photos

Attachments

• CS750-MD380-NoLight.jpg
    CS750-MD380-NoLight.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 3,708
  • CS750-MD380-LightOn.jpg
    CS750-MD380-LightOn.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,433
  • CS750-MD380-Light-On.jpg
    CS750-MD380-Light-On.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,291
  • CS750-Box.jpg
    CS750-Box.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 2,323
  • Tytera-MD-380-Box.jpg
    Tytera-MD-380-Box.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2,426

lynzoid

Ok, thanks for great input. But dang, it's even more hard for me now.
Now, if it comes to compatibility between two (if i decide to get both), aren't there any problems there?
E.g. privacy modes incompatible between two - or was it a rumor? Also i read somewhere there are compatibility problems between existing moto radios (sl,dp,xpr) and these chinese radios (even with privacy off).

(oh and again - i own moto dmr radio, euro DP model and programming lic/eq so it's not moto vs china)

RayAir

Ok, thanks for great input. But dang, it's even more hard for me now.
Now, if it comes to compatibility between two (if i decide to get both), aren't there any problems there?
E.g. privacy modes incompatible between two - or was it a rumor? Also i read somewhere there are compatibility problems between existing moto radios (sl,dp,xpr) and these chinese radios (even with privacy off).

(oh and again - i own moto dmr radio, euro DP model and programming lic/eq so it's not moto vs china)

My SL7550 talks fine with my CS700 and MD-380.

If you're referring to voice Privacy, Motorola's Basic and Enhanced are not compatable with non Motorola radios and are proprietary.

Basic Privacy on an older CS700 is compatable with basic Privacy on an MD-380.

The MD-380 comes with 128-bit Enhanced Privacy in the firmware and CPS. CS700 doesn't have Enhanced Privacy option and looking at the CS750 CPS it doesn't come with Enhanced Privacy either.

But since this under the amateur radio column, consider this for educational purposes only.

Last edited:

Voyager

One thing I don't care for on the 380 is the current bug that shows the active channel in scan mode only AFTER the transmission has ended. The CS750 will show the activity while the channel is active.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
One thing I don't care for on the 380 is the current bug that shows the active channel in scan mode only AFTER the transmission has ended. The CS750 will show the activity while the channel is active.

It seems like Tytera has been pretty responsive to user input and releasing firmware updates. When these first came out I assumed they'd never touch them again to fix any issues. I just bought 2 in hopes they'll keep getting better over time. I wanted the CS750s but the color screen (even with current quirks) on the MD-380 seemed like a better idea.

n5ofq

I'm following this thread since I too am considering one of these two radios. I might wait until Christmas to see how firmware updates affect these. I intend to use it for amateur use but also listen to businesses (both Presbyterian Hospitals just went DMR) so having the CS750 monitor mode seems helpful, although I can decode what I need from my computer/DSD+. I was hoping the CS7000 would be out by now but it seems it may never become available.

lynzoid

CS750 wins hands down due to monitor mode. This thread is redundant... I am a bit sad, that i found out about monitor mode after making this thread, reading answers and ordering md380. Thanks for nothing, RR members....
And no, 380 will not get monitor mode. It will not. Still, for 150$ it's a good radio. Not as good as 750.

Last edited:

toastycookies

CS750 wins hands down due to monitor mode. This thread is redundant... I am a bit sad, that i found out about monitor mode after making this thread, reading answers and ordering md380. Thanks for nothing, RR members....
And no, 380 will not get monitor mode. It will not. Still, for 150$ it's a good radio. Not as good as 750.

There is a search function on here.

The monitor mode issue with the 380 vs 750 was brought up a month or so ago.

http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-formats/317562-tytera-md380-commercial-dmr.html

n5ofq

toastycookies, a search function on where? The 380? If so, how does it work?

I can use DSD+ to program the 380 so monitor mode isn't a showstopper but a nice-to-have.

Otherwise, any significant reasons to purchase one over the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.