San Mateo County 700MHz Not True P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I was speaking with a radio technician about not being able to receive San Mateo Counties 700 Mhz signals. He told me that Radio Reference lists SMCO as a P25 system, when in actuality is was P25 when it was on the 482.xxxx frequencies. When it moved to the 700MHz band it switch to a digital LTE system, and unless the scanner can decode LTE it will just "scan" and nothing will be heard. So, does anyone know if the Uniden 996XT and/or 996P2 can decode an LTE signal???

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think someone was pulling your leg. The FCC license for that system shows P25 Phase 1 as the emission designator.

LTE will be used for the FirstNet system, but that's a ways off.

kma371

QRT
Tonight I was speaking with a radio technician about not being able to receive San Mateo Counties 700 Mhz signals. He told me that Radio Reference lists SMCO as a P25 system, when in actuality is was P25 when it was on the 482.xxxx frequencies. When it moved to the 700MHz band it switch to a digital LTE system, and unless the scanner can decode LTE it will just "scan" and nothing will be heard. So, does anyone know if the Uniden 996XT and/or 996P2 can decode an LTE signal???

Tech's will say things to make you think the system is not listenable. It certainly is listenable and I can certainly hear it on my 996xt.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The use of LTE is what's being deployed for the data side of things now. It's the replacement for Motorola's HPD, which was in-car data or anything generically specified as "terminal data". Motorola uses Ericsson's LTE infrastructure which sits alongside the P25 trunked system but in no way is it connected in any form.

What SMCO is doing I can't say for sure though evidently their techs are not the most knowledgeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.