Raleigh PD on UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Recently noticed in the RR FCC grants list that Raleigh PD received a license to use six UHF channels:
stating in the application that RADIOS WILL BE USED RADIO TO RADIO AS TACTICAL COMMUNICATIONS

Has anyone heard them on these freqs or know what they will be used for? Having the WCOTRS I wouldn't think they'd need them.

WA4MJF

Makes sense to me. Sometimes you get better building penetration on the lower UHF frequencies.
Appear to be repeater pairs, so they could use output for talk around and have a portable repeater
in their, I forget the name of their tactical guys, but it isn't SWAT, van.

Ronnie

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Raleigh PD is fully 800Mhz with no UHF 400Mhz activity.
Like Chuk said this is a simple paperwork renewing of licenses and nothing more.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
If they are not using them, why would they renew them?

Ronnie
VHF/UHF Frequencies are precious real estate these days. Lots of areas are keeping freqs on hand without using them for day to day ops.
I stand by my assertion that the RPD patrol officer in the field only has access to the Wake County 800Mhz system via XTS/APX portables or XTL2500 mobiles.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Drafin

VHF/UHF Frequencies are precious real estate these days. Lots of areas are keeping freqs on hand without using them for day to day ops.

This is certainly the case, several local agencies on this side of the state have been doing the same things since moving to Viper and other trunked systems. One of the particular municipalities that I have first hand knowledge of has renewed repeatedly their VHF/UHF freqs since the late 80s or early 90s and have zero intention of using them. As a matter of fact I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a mobile unit that had the capabilities to tx or rx on those frequencies.

Draf

Last edited:

WA4MJF

I was thinking that they were for Selective Enforcement Unit, not Patrol Officers, but that
was just a guess. Also, don't you have to have a UHF license of some kind to use the UTAC frequencies?
Same-same for VTAC and 8TAC?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I was thinking that they were for Selective Enforcement Unit, not Patrol Officers, but that
was just a guess.
why? RPD Special OPS has their set of talkgroups along with the RPD investigative talkgroups with encryption available.
I say once again: Raleigh Police is 800Mhz only.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WA4MJF

I heard this morning on the way to the station "meet me on Raleigh 5". This is a UHF repeater that used to serve, before 800, the PDs in Eastern Wake County. This was on a RPD TG, but did not catch which one. So may have answer to why they keep them, some must have a UHF radios.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I heard this morning on the way to the station "meet me on Raleigh 5". This is a UHF repeater that used to serve, before 800, the PDs in Eastern Wake County. This was on a RPD TG, but did not catch which one. So may have answer to why they keep them, some must have a UHF radios.

They were probably speaking of either LE OPS 5 (40432) or the LE EAST talkgroup 35680.

I don't know how I can make it anymore clear: RALEIGH PD IS NO LONGER USING UHF.

I ALWAYS recommend keeping old freqs around in an attempt to find new users but you won't hear RPD on UHF. :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

kb4mdz

Ronnie -

Trust me. There is no Raleigh PD activity on the old RPD channels. At all. period. Any further references you hear combining "Raleigh", "Police" "PD", and any channel number does not refer to any of the old UHF channels. Raleigh 5 does not exist as Raleigh 5 any more. Neither do any of the other 'Raleigh' PD channels. They have all been re-assigned to other uses. If you want to, you can still listen to them, but the PL tones have changed, so if you're using RX PL, you'll have to drop back 5 yards & punt.

end of discussion.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ronnie -

Trust me. There is no Raleigh PD activity on the old RPD channels. At all. period. Any further references you hear combining "Raleigh", "Police" "PD", and any channel number does not refer to any of the old UHF channels. Raleigh 5 does not exist as Raleigh 5 any more. Neither do any of the other 'Raleigh' PD channels. They have all been re-assigned to other uses. If you want to, you can still listen to them, but the PL tones have changed, so if you're using RX PL, you'll have to drop back 5 yards & punt.

end of discussion.

And with the above verification this thread has run its course.
Time to put it to sleep.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.