BC785D: Buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Just found a lightly used 785D. Put it on hold for myself. Just wondering what these are going for used. Everything looks to be there and was well cared for, the price they have on it is $149.

safetyobc

Seems a little steep to me for that old of a scanner. But if it is mint condition maybe. I would think $100-$125 would be fair.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree it is very pricey for a "long in the tooth" scanner. Plus its capabilities are very limited with respect to the number of channels you can program.

Then the question is why did the person part with it - problems?

Lastly getting software to program this scanner may be difficult given its age, so you might have a lot of hand programming to do.

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
I have had one of these since they were new. It is still a better scanner than my BCD536HP on Motorola Type II (bells and whistles, excluded). I use it as much as the newer scanner. I would gladly pay $150 for another one of these.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Lastly getting software to program this scanner may be difficult given its age, so you might have a lot of hand programming to do.
For software on the 785D. ProScan will handle it, as well as covering a number of other scanners. I purchased ProScan mainly because it supported my lightly used older scanners, the BC780XLT & BC250D. For a newer scanner, in the ~$150 range (used), like a BCD996T, FreeSCAN works very well. A 996T would receive the OP's county P25 Phase I system, whereas the 785D will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.