Yaesu: New Yaesu FT-8800 mobile Unblocked & Upgraded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdarehs

I'm looking for a capable mobile radio for volunteer work with the County, So Ebay has a new FT-8800 with a (software) power mod to 65 watts and unblocked. The only stated difference is the connector. The unit comes from Greece. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of unit? I really don't care about warranty service.

Thanks

Robert KG7ALH

fdarehs

Thanks, I would expect the FT-8800 to be a good performer overall, but I'm not to sure about the stated software power upgrade to 65 watts in addition to N. America compatibly of the E model sold on Ebay, it seems as though the company selling the unit reworks it somehow.

N8IAA

I'm looking for a capable mobile radio for volunteer work with the County, So Ebay has a new FT-8800 with a (software) power mod to 65 watts and unblocked. The only stated difference is the connector. The unit comes from Greece. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of unit? I really don't care about warranty service.

Thanks

Robert KG7ALH

So, you want to buy a modified ham radio from Greece to operate on county frequencies?
What county, and what frequencies?
As the other poster states, it is a great ham radio. Not a commercial, narrow band radio.
Larry

fdarehs

So who said anything about using the unit to "operate" on County frequencies? I just stated the unit to be unblocked period. Check my original posting you dimwit, I don't need a lesson in the legal use of a 2 meter radio, thank you anyway.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
So why worry if unblocked. Once unblocked no longer ham radio. Suggest getting a type accepted radio to work with the County.

teufler

nOT SURE IF THIS HAS BEEN CHANGED , BUT i HAD AN 8900, and the keys didn;t light up at night. Very dangerous radio when driving at night. I suspect the 7800, 8800 and 8900 all about the same, If you have memorized where the keys are located, you can change setting while not looking at the radio but if you have to look at it, you need a small pen light handy or turn the doom light in the car on. This and the Wires function getting turned on when you don't want it, it was a good radio. Just got an Anytone 5888, very similar to the Yaesu 8800, down to the none lighted front panel keys.

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Have had no problem with 8800. Easy to know what button to push without having to take your eyes off what you are doing. Many have posted about this negative, but really it is not. The mic can be programmed for most of what the buttons would do anyhow. The only thing I don't have programmed into the mic is the SKIP function. But that is easy to find as outside right button.

fdarehs

Yeah, every radio has its ups and downs. The reliable repeater function is important to me for obvious reasons. I have been using a model FT-2900 for some time now and like it quite well, but would like to have the capability of monitoring safety and air frequencies at the same time. Just to be sure the Barnny Fife radio police types get that point, I said "monitor".

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
For all those ham radio operators and future ham radio operators, you don't need a modified ham radio to "monitor". Most of the big three, including Yaesu radios, modified radios do not increase the frequencies one can "monitor". The frequencies listed in the specs as Rx are the same in a radio if it is modified or not and this applies to the 8800. And I haven't really looked at the specs for an European 8800. Generally, the RX frequencies are the same as North American. The TX frequencies may be slightly different. So for NA, stick with the 8800R. Haven't really looked a the possibility of increasing to 65 watts output as not sure what is gained by the additional 15 watts. If I was going this way I might look at an amp to increase to 100 watts or more.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just to be sure the Barnny Fife radio police types get that point, I said "monitor".

Just a suggestion, but you might want tone it down a little bit. 4 posts on your counter and you are coming on kind of strong. There's some very knowledgeable people on this site that will try to help you out. It'd be a good idea to listen to what they are suggesting.

If you are looking for an amateur radio with the capability to monitor big chunks of the VHF/UHF spectrum, most of the dual band radios sold in the last 15 years or so will give you what you need. Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu will all do this.

Not sure why you are attracted to a radio from Greece. It's not going to give you anything you can't find locally. If there's an issue with it, getting a resolution will be quite a bit harder.

The additional 15 watts would concern me. Sounds like someone "golden screwdriver'd" it. An additional 15 watts isn't going to help your range a whole lot, you might do better by focusing on a better antenna. I'd be concerned about the long term survivability of the radio cranking out that extra power. If it was me, I'd be looking into an outboard power amplifier if I really had to have the extra power. Heat can be an issue when the power gets upped like this. Taking a radio outside it's designed specs usually results in something failing earlier, or creating other issues.

N4KVE

These radios have been around for over 10 years. I would definitely get a current radio, & a US model to use in the USA. Should that radio from Greece have problems, what are your options? Can the finals handle the extra power safely? Not worth it in my opinion.

mrweather

nOT SURE IF THIS HAS BEEN CHANGED , BUT i HAD AN 8900, and the keys didn;t light up at night. Very dangerous radio when driving at night. I suspect the 7800, 8800 and 8900 all about the same,
The 8800 is like the 8900 in that the radio head keys do not light up. The 7800/7900 does. But the big difference is the 7800/7900 is not dual receive like the 8800 and 8900.

k6cpo

So who said anything about using the unit to "operate" on County frequencies? I just stated the unit to be unblocked period. Check my original posting you dimwit, I don't need a lesson in the legal use of a 2 meter radio, thank you anyway.

Anytime an"unblocked" radio is mentioned in these forums, there is an implication that's how the radio is going to be used, unless the OP states otherwise. It's best to get your intentions out right upfront.

fdarehs

Ok, so these are the additional facts of the radio, The unit is also cheaper than US competitors and comes with various hardware accessories and MARS/CAP mod that I didn't mention and yes, I know about using those bands. The issue at hand is the performance of the radio .......... all other items mentioned in the original post, i.e. unblocked freq range and power upgrade were inquired upon as items having the potential to affect performance of the unit good or bad. In this regard, I was seeking persons having experience with such modifications as they are frequently discussed by other hams who have performed the mods, but this is the odd inaccurate rant I received, hence the dimwit remark.

****So, you want to buy a modified ham radio from Greece to operate on county frequencies?
What county, and what frequencies?
As the other poster states, it is a great ham radio. Not a commercial, narrow band radio.******

Larry
******************************************************************************************************************

Though stepped on in this Country, the last time I checked, the constitution still allows free speech. In the future, I will refrain from using the word Dimwit, even if warranted, but will freely address an off base response to a simple inquiry regardless of "my message count" as referenced from another member. To those that have responded on the virtue and shortcoming of the stock radio, I appreciate the input. It has come down to either this unit or the Kenwood 71.

N4KVE

I believe the Kenwood is the better radio. Also radios from other countries are tuned to work optimally in their particular band split which could be 430-440, where as a US radio would be tuned to perform best at 440-450.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I appreciate the input. It has come down to either this unit or the Kenwood 71.

Comparing the two radios side by side, my own opinion is that the Kenwood will win, hands down.

7800/7900 is a dual band/single receive radio. The '71 is a true dual band/dual receiver radio. Research issues with the filters in these radios though, I know there have been some older 71's that had some issues.

Personal experience & opinion: Yaesu microphones are probably the crappiest in the amateur radio market. I've had to replace several over the last few decades. Some amateurs love them and never experience an issue. I, on the other hand, seem to get every crappy Yaesu microphone. I know I'm not the only one, others have complained about this.
Kenwood seems to model (or directly use) their amateur radio microphones directly after their commercial/LMR/public safety microphones. Built way better, solid and last a whole lot longer. I've got about 75 Kenwood LMR radios at work, including many in daily police department use. I've never had to replace a Kenwood mobile microphone.
The Yaesu mic will give you more features on the microphone itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.