Sussex Maximum Security Prison (EDACS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone able to copy Sussex Maximum Security Prison. I am in Hampton VA and it may be out of range, not sure. this is an EDACS system which I assume you just program the frequencies in order on a BCD396XT and put under EDACS regular system. if anyone has clarification, please post. thanks.

W4UVV

My Sussex Maximum Security Prison trs reception

Is anyone able to copy Sussex Maximum Security Prison. I am in Hampton VA and it may be out of range, not sure. this is an EDACS system which I assume you just program the frequencies in order on a BCD396XT and put under EDACS regular system. if anyone has clarification, please post. thanks.

I live Prince George Co. near Ft. Lee and am approximately 10-15 air miles NE of the prison. Because of the lower RF input sensitivity of digital scanners my PSR600, 396XT and 996XTs don't detect any of SMSP trs frequencies. However, my old ICOM R7000 analog communications receivers do receive them well, mostly noise free with obviously better audio quality. Comms are frequent on all voice frequencies especially at meal times. I programed the 5 800 mhz. analog frequencies as NBFM conventional and scan them. All my radios use the same tower mounted preamped Scantennas at about 110 ft.height.

The EDACS trs currently still is being used with unencrypted comms but is on borrowed time. The SMSP has been licensed for a 700 mhz. trs which probably is in some stage of installation. My guess is Harris Corp. will replace the low power EDACS trs with a low power 700 mhz. trs. Here is the link to the RR post I made at the time of licensing.

http://forums.radioreference.com/vi...-maximum-security-prison-new-700-mhz-trs.html

Using an ICOM R7000 I just checked and am hearing a strong signal of what appears to be a CC signal on 770.86500 mhz. and a weaker one on 771.25625 mhz. There was no signal lock detected using the 996XT and I don't have Pro96Com available on this computer. I suspect with 700 mhz. Phase 2 capability there may be some encrypted comms.

So, the odds of receiving the low power SMSP on 800 or 700 mhz. are not good unless you are less than 10 air miles from the prison.

John
W4UVV

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

thanks for the detailed reply. very much appreciated. I have an icom 7000 and 7410 with G5RV at about 30 ft. may try using those to copy the prison. not sure how far Hampton is but def well more than 10 miles. sounds like you have a very nice setup over there with all the radios and antennas etc. rising in Hampton, there are a min of 10 or 12 diff systems i can copy. very nice compared to where i resided previously. Scott

W4UVV

SMSP reception

thanks for the detailed reply. very much appreciated. I have an icom 7000 and 7410 with G5RV at about 30 ft. may try using those to copy the prison. not sure how far Hampton is but def well more than 10 miles. sounds like you have a very nice setup over there with all the radios and antennas etc. rising in Hampton, there are a min of 10 or 12 diff systems i can copy. very nice compared to where i resided previously. Scott

Your LOS path would be approximately 40-45 air miles west. Try early in the mornings. Good Luck.

John
W4UVV

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I am able to copy their system with a handheld with a 800 rubber duckie at my moms house in Carson.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
you are a few miles from sussex so i would expect you would. thanks for the info though. what freqs/system are you using to hit it?

Status
Not open for further replies.