New Brunswick Police: Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Sources indicate New Brunswick will be leaving it's conventional 460 repeaters.

The rumor is they will be encrypted. Not determined is if they are headed to the State or County 700 MHZ System.

They have been funded 500,000 to 1 million for new equipment.

Anyone have further? BOLO

SCPD

QRT
they get

New Brunswick has been allocated $43,448, which will be used to improve and upgrade the police department's mobile police technology and infrastructure. These purchases include mobile video recorders, mobile data terminals, and police radio/communication equipment for police cruisers. Think they can buy a whole radio system with a piece of that $43,000?Or just an encryption technology for their existing system?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Good chances New Brunswick will go with Middlesex Counties new P25 Phase 2 talkgroup.. That's just s guess though considering the Sherrifs Dept and Courthouse is on the ProVoice system it only makes sense. I know their system is aging, but for 43,000 doesn't seem like a lot of money invested to do what they want to do...

Their system still works so they too may hold out

rr60

Premium Subscriber
New Brunswick has been allocated $43,448, which will be used to improve and upgrade the police department's mobile police technology and infrastructure. These purchases include mobile video recorders, mobile data terminals, and police radio/communication equipment for police cruisers. Think they can buy a whole radio system with a piece of that $43,000?Or just an encryption technology for their existing system?

It is 500,000 to a million, here is just one of the pieces funded, clearly not 43,000 as stated.Check the facts.

http://thecityofnewbrunswick.org/city-council/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2014/09/08-05-15.pdf

ansky

Didn't someone mention in the Middlesex County thread that all police departments migrating to that system would most likely be encrypted?

I can hear New Brunswick PD from Essex County with my outdoor antenna. They are scratchy though because the 460.300 frequency is too crowded (Paterson is very active on there and I believe another town from Monmouth County).

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Didn't someone mention in the Middlesex County thread that all police departments migrating to that system would most likely be encrypted?

I can hear New Brunswick PD from Essex County with my outdoor antenna. They are scratchy though because the 460.300 frequency is too crowded (Paterson is very active on there and I believe another town from Monmouth County).

Trend lies that the new 700mhz system is encrypted. Even possibly non-law enforcement talkgroups

ansky

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Well in his defense, if you look at page 7 (top row) it mentions $46,000 for Police Dept. radio equipment and accessories.

That is true, but let's be realistic for them to even purchase ( not install or setup or anything) will cost more then 46,000 dollars for just mobile and portables for their fleet.

ansky

That is true, but let's be realistic for them to even purchase ( not install or setup or anything) will cost more then 46,000 dollars for just mobile and portables for their fleet.

Right, but that money could be used for anything. Maybe they are upgrading the console in their dispatch center. Nobody knows. The same could be said for the 530k. Maybe they are making upgrades to the existing system. It can't be assumed that they will move to one of the trunked systems.

TAMR213

So for some reason, NBPD is using their channel 2 (460.225 MHz) for dispatch tonight, with no radio traffic heard on 460.300. Units also seem to have slightly lower volume and transmitting power. Have only been listening for a few minutes, so no idea how long things have been like this.

Anybody with some insight? Hopefully this is just an anomaly, and not some sign of the inevitable happening sooner than later.

ansky

I was just going to post the same thing. I was listening to 460.300 tonight and didn't hear anything for over 20 minutes. So I switched to channel 2 and now I'm hearing all the radio traffic. I agree the volume is low and it's hard to hear. They were definitely using 460.300 as of last night, so this is a recent change. It seems as though I'm getting better reception on 460.225 than what I usually get on 460.300.

EDIT: At 10:15pm I just heard a unit on 460.300 and the dispatcher told them to switch to channel 2. The audio sounded fine on 460.300.

Last edited:

ansky

It sounds like NBPD continues to have radio problems. They temporarily switched back to channel 1 this afternoon and the officers were complaining that they could not hear the transmissions. The dispatcher responded "we're doing the best we can". So something must be going on.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like NBPD continues to have radio problems. They temporarily switched back to channel 1 this afternoon and the officers were complaining that they could not hear the transmissions. The dispatcher responded "we're doing the best we can". So something must be going on.

If New Brunswick is having issues I'm surprised they haven't complained to the county to have them issues the emergency Harris P7300 radios programmed for Police Mutual Aid channels like old bridge did. They can operate in ProVoice and such.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Middlesex County Freeholders wouldn't let New Bruns PD go with broken communications system. That's who protects them and the downtown area ( including Rutgers Pd) so they have something in the works for temp fixing it. Chances are just boring temp radios from TPS/county

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
I believe that new Brunswick won't goto the county edacs because last time it was tested by PD & FD it had to many dead spots the same with Edison. The 700 system is still in the build out stage and they need a quick fix.They do have other options state njics east Brunswick Edison or even the somerset system.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
That would be awesome if they go to NJICS. Middlesex county is one of the last who haven't migrated at least one talkgroup to the State system. I know of other departments too that are weighing options of whether to stay when the county fully switches to the 700mhz or go with NJICS for that specific reason ( dead zones)

Status
Not open for further replies.