Uniden BC780XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

coulterjosh

I am looking to upgrade the antenna on my Uniden 780XLT and I am looking for a back of set, maybe high gain antenna if that will help. The frequencies that I am monitoring is:

Thank you in advanced everyone. And additionally I want a back of set antenna not a roof mounted one. Though the scanner is positioned right in front of my bedroom window do any of you use a window mount antenna for this situation. If so could I see your set up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

teufler

all are vhf, 17-18" long at a quarterwave. Get a rt angle bnc adapter and then a extension antenna. Or you can try this, SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC It has a bnc already on it, you can attach to a metal window air conditioner, or a metal curtain rod in the house. You scanner positioned to window, is a good place. Course with the scanner master antenna, you can position the scanner somewhere else while using mounting the antenna either outside the window or somewhere high up, like a curtain rod thats metal.

coulterjosh

If you don't mind could some links be posted with the antennas that will work and provide better options than stock

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ridgescan

a half-wave will require matching to connect directly to the scanner. A 1/4 wave will be much closer to the impedance the rig expects to see.
Good info Sir, however, I personally have used the half wave length on my Pro 2066 with a Wilson Telegainer and it performed well in both VHF and UHF.
So Josh, you can also extend the whip to 1- and- a half foot for a quarter wave.
This list of back-of-set antennas is from the advertiser right here on site.
Back-of-Set Antennas for Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

and here's good old Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+antenna&rh=n:172282,k:indoor+scanner+antenna

N3JI

Good info Sir, however, I personally have used the half wave length on my Pro 2066 with a Wilson Telegainer and it performed well in both VHF and UHF.
So Josh, you can also extend the whip to 1- and- a half foot for a quarter wave.
This list of back-of-set antennas is from the advertiser right here on site.
Back-of-Set Antennas for Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

and here's good old Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+antenna&rh=n:172282,k:indoor+scanner+antenna
I'm not at all familiar with that antenna, but I can assure you that without matching, a true half wave end-fed antenna will be very high impedance (thousands of ohms instead of the expected 50 ohms) if it's just a whip connected directly to the antenna port. Without any matching, it would be a big mis-match at the antenna connector. 3/4 wave would be a close match, and have some gain over a 1/4 as well, but now you're getting a bit long for the back of the radio at those frequencies.

That said, sometimes the real world can be surprising. ;)

ridgescan

Again Joe-thanks for correcting me. My own experience on that particular handheld does not make it fact. Your information is fact. Sorry for posting in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.