Oregon Zoo using expired license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
So, I decided to go up to Washington Park the other day and test out DSD+ with the zoo's system.

They have a MotoTRBO Capacity+ system (and the signal came in VERY strong on SDR# by the Vietnam memorial), but are using 453 mHz, and the license for it appears to be expired. Furthermore, the license doesn't appear to be valid for digital voice.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPBK882&s=city

There is another, active license that is valid for digital voice, but I didn't see anything on it.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPBK882&s=city

Lastly, the DB entry for the zoo is technically invalid, since it is a trunking system and not conventional.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
Right (and the second link in my post should have been to the entry for WNQS870), but they don't appear to be operating on those frequencies. I found them on 453 mHz, which is under their old, expired license for analog voice.

SCPD

QRT
It's possible a mix up has occured. You see this in smaller municipal entities who switch hands in system managers or go from contractor back to in house admin techs. You could call and ask. After all the admin would appreciate it if you catch something they missed. It's possible they put a license in and it hasn't shown up yet on site but valid as fcc seems to be behind lately. Depending on who does the radio system which some places I have seen the electricians in small gov entities get stuck with radio maint and license the wrong frequencies or pairs to ordering the wrong digital format equipment. They may appreciate it if there was a error or incorrect filing. It's possible also they may have gone through a dealer and are under a dealers license or who filed the data for them under the contracted system admin in the contractor. Where I am some licenses are under the vendor/dealer when they won a bid for tower maintenance and changing some departments out. The rest are under the in house system admins name/department.

cmdrwill

And not to mention those who will do your License for you.....whores.

Several that royally mess up customer's licenses.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
I will send an e-mail to the person who is listed on the active license and says he manages the system in his Linked In profile. I have a feeling the contact info in the expired license is no longer current.

What appears to have happened is that they had a wide-band analog system which they replaced with their current system, and the current system was licensed to be on different frequencies but is instead on the old ones. And that there has been outside entities who have done the licensing/radio work and may have made the mistake.

I've actually been working at Metro and have worked at the zoo in the past (including in guest services, though not on a radio), so could use a kudos if I can get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.