I'm new to scanners, what kind of scanner should I look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Greetings,
I am somewhat new to the world of VHF/UHF scanners. I dabbled a little bit in scanner listening in the 1990's. However, I am unfamiliar with what is required to do basic scanner listening in today's world (2015). I know that trunked radio systems have become very popular with the police since I was last into scanner listening. I don't know if a scanner that is capable of tracking trunked radio systems is a requirement or not to do monitoring.
I'm primarily interested in monitoring local police frequencies.
Are the old analog scanner's obsolete or must one upgrade to a newer trunked tracking scanner in order to monitor local police frequencies?
Also; what are some good, basic, simple scanners without a lot of fancy bells and whistles I should look for when starting out? I'd like to have one that will operate on 12 volts in my car if I need it to, or possibly have the option to take it indoors and plug it into an AC adapter for house current.
Thank you

safetyobc

One of the best handheld scanners for 'lower end" needs that I have used is the BC125AT. It will cover analog only up to 512 MHz. It is a very good air band scanner as well as VHF.

It depends on your location as to what type scanner would be best to monitor your local fire and police (if they aren't encrypted or use a system that can't be received by scanners). If you are looking for a P25 digital scanner, any of the newer scanners are great. The BCD536HP, BC436HP, BCD996P2, BCD325P2 or the WS1095. I have 1 of each and they are all good radios.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
It really depends on where you live, there's not really an common acceptable answer for what someone should get. Some agencies are holding onto analog systems which older gear can still monitor while a number of other agencies are joining regional or state trunking systems.

Since you haven't mentioned it, another new thing in public safety is digital mode radios. Even then, there are different "flavors" of digital that public safety can be using which will define what the baseline scanner is.

Now I believe you are interested in monitoring Clay County, Missouri. If this is the case, then the baseline is very high and ultimately you will need to be looking at something that has the bells and whistles included. It looks like a large number of police agencies are on Kansas City Metro - Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS) Trunking System. This system is a P25 Phase I (digital) trunked radio system, which will require a Phase I digital scanner to monitor.

Just to get you started, the list below is everything that should be able to monitor the system. The list is meant to give you an idea of what is available that you may see, both new and old.

Phase I Scanners:

Phase II Scanners:
Note: Phase II scanners are backwards compatible and support Phase I.

VE3RADIO

I wouldn't waste your money.. the hobby is coming to a near death.. too much encryption/phase II/TRBO out there.. none of the scanner manufacturers do any of those things really well. You might consider a 10 dollar SDR dongle and DSD plus.. you will have more fun with that than any scanner.

kc0bus

... thanks for suggestions so far. I'll probably be doing some traveling soon, what would be a good scanner to travel with?

kc0bus

I wouldn't waste your money.. the hobby is coming to a near death.. too much encryption/phase II/TRBO out there.. none of the scanner manufacturers do any of those things really well. You might consider a 10 dollar SDR dongle and DSD plus.. you will have more fun with that than any scanner.

I can see how encryption would bring the hobby to a screeching halt, but how would phase II and TRBO do the same? Sorry, being new, I know nothing about the later two...

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I can see how encryption would bring the hobby to a screeching halt, but how would phase II and TRBO do the same? Sorry, being new, I know nothing about the later two...

It won't. Phase II can be monitored with a Phase II digital scanner if it is not encrypted. DMR (or as many call it by Motorola's marking name "MOTOTRBO") is another digital mode out there that no scanner can follow, but can be listened to using an actual DMR radio or computer software like DSD or DSD+.

VE3RADIO

It won't. Phase II can be monitored with a Phase II digital scanner if it is not encrypted. DMR (or as many call it by Motorola's marking name "MOTOTRBO") is another digital mode out there that no scanner can follow, but can be listened to using an actual DMR radio or computer software like DSD or DSD+.

Phase II is barley legible on most scanners..

TRBO.. sure can be monitored with a real radio.. (but these are not scanners .. his question was about scanners)

I suggested DSD+ as a alternative.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Phase II is barley legible on most scanners..

If a phase 2 system, any P25 system really, is not using CQPSK('LSM' Simulcast) it should be able to be received just fine.

The issue with CQPSK is that the AM component of CQPSK is stripped out by the FM receiver in consumer scanners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kc0bus

Are you wanting a handheld, or something for in the vehicle? Do you want GPS based scanning?

Sent via Tapatalk

...GPS-based scanning? That's a new one on me.

Handheld's seem more convenient, and well, handy. So maybe that's a good place to start for a traveling companion. However, I like the mobile/base style scanners too.

kafw4202

Premium Subscriber
Location Based made a HUGE difference for me! I bought a RS Pro-668 with sort of location based abilities.. and cold receive almost nothing. I lets you put in cities or zip codes.

Bought a HP-2 and wow can I hear more! The difference? The HP=2 lets me put in longitude and latitude.

Whats the difference? 5 counties and 2 states within 15 miles... the 668 used the center of the zip code or the city.. I am so rural that I am no where near the center of the zip or city. The HP2 could understand my needs better and caught all the counties and states.

kc0bus

Bought a HP-2 and wow can I hear more! The difference? The HP=2 lets me put in longitude and latitude. The HP2 could understand my needs better and caught all the counties and states.

Is your HP-2 a Uniden Home Patrol 2?

kafw4202

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is.. sorry I didn't make myself clear. I am very impressed with the HomePatrol-2 and it's ability to enter exact longitude and latitude made a world of difference for this rural location.

Status
Not open for further replies.