• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cannot decide on my first "real" radio , help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathmer

Well I passed my Tech yesterday, and of course being brand new, never having been on air yet, I want to try it all. I'm going to be going for my general as well, but I really wanted to get on the air for a while before I do that.

I've already purchased a Baofeng UV-82HP with upgraded whip off of amazon, my intention was to monitor the local repeaters till my callsign get's assigned (at least that way I should have an idea of the local traffic). However, and nothing against them, but the radio arrived and the speaker doesn't work. If you plug in the head set the radio seems to work (I can hear), but I obviously cannot test TX right now (I don't have a dummy load, and without my callsign I can't xmit). So I have an RMA in to them, hopefully going to hear back soon (probably just got a bad one).

The local club has a big event coming up next month, and I really wanted to help out. The guys recommended that I look for a mobile unit with 50w xmit, and a 5/8's wave ant.

I've been on Powerwerx website after watching a lot of youtube, the "go box" style is very appealing to me, as I could use it as the base station in my house, and then pack it up and go to an event.

Features I'd like to have - I would like to have a mobile unit that would be capable of cross band repeat. If I go to help out at an event, it would probably come in handy to be able to setup my mobile unit to contact net control on 2m, and then be able to take the HT with me UHF, for example going inside a building. HT to Mobile to Net Control ? (I'm new, if this is a dumb idea please tell me).

I'd like to get something that's going to last me a while, I'd rather spend 600+ now, then spend 250 and then a year later spend 450.

One model I've found so far is the Kenwood TM-V71 . It would seem to have the features I'm looking for except for GPS (at least according to an amazon review). Powerwerx is selling what looks like a re-branded transceiver of their own, it does not look like it has repeater functionality, and reviews seem mixed on it.

I think that this feature set would give me great flexibility, and that's what I'm mainly looking for.

wb6uqa

Entry Level

A shack in a box would be good. A Yeasu 857 D has all bands. 160meters to Uhf in one box. With a tech you can go on 10meters, 6, 2 meters and UHF.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
For a little less money and FM only, the Yaesu FT8900 is great. Its an older model. but does 2, 440 6 and 10 meters. It does cross band repeat and will give you 6m fm now and 10m fm when u upgrade.
Great shack radio or mobile.

cathmer

That's a good option as well.. Thank you for the quick reply's I'm making a list of models so I can compare.

This whole "station in a box" idea is wonderful! I've seen videos of people making bags, boxes, cases, etc. I'm thinking seriously about the Pelican 1450 case, looks like a good option, and I'm familiar with the pelican stuff from my scuba diving days.

WyoDuner

Hmm... The Kenwood TM-V71a is a good choice. I have one an like it a lot - easy to use, popular so lots of YouTube videos about how to different things with it. You mentioned GPS - not sure what you want that for unless for APRS. I use a Mobilink bluetooth TNC with My TM-V71A for APRS capability. It's only about $60 I think plus a few more for the interconnect to the Kenwood.

There are other options of course but keep an eye on what a programming cable will cost you (Mine was $7 on Amazon), which will do cross-band, which has removable faceplate or other options you may want. I have nothing against the off-brand radios but for a mobile/base I would skip the go box idea and just get the radio you really want and a power supply for the house.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd like to get something that's going to last me a while, I'd rather spend 600+ now, then spend 250 and then a year later spend 450.

One model I've found so far is the Kenwood TM-V71 . It would seem to have the features I'm looking for except for GPS (at least according to an amazon review). Powerwerx is selling what looks like a re-branded transceiver of their own, it does not look like it has repeater functionality, and reviews seem mixed on it.

I think that this feature set would give me great flexibility, and that's what I'm mainly looking for.

I think your budget is realistic for what you want to do. Also, as a first radio, avoid the low end Chinese models. There are many headaches hiding inside those radios. Some have had great luck with them, but there are a lot of reported issues. As a new amateur radio operator (Congratulations!), you don't need that sort of headache in your first radio.

Kenwood TM-V71 is a good choice, it'll do what you need. Yaesu 8800 would be a good choice. The 8900 is nice, but don't count on a lot of 6 meter action on FM only, and as a technician class license holder you can't use the FM portion of the 10 meter band. If you plan on upgrading soon you might want to consider it, but if you are going for your general ticket you'll want a whole lot more than just the FM portion of the 10 meter band.

Icom also makes some suitable radios.

Be wary of the "digital" mode radios. There are many different non-compatible "standards". Before purchasing any digital radio, make sure you have other people you can talk to on it.

Don't forget to figure in the cost of the antennas. There is little point in buying a $600 radio and then expecting a $10 antenna to let it work well. You really should be looking at a base antenna for your home and something portable for either mobile or remote use.

As for remote antennas for your "Go" box, keep in mind that some antenna designs require a ground plane. You may not necessarily have a suitable ground plane available in a remote location. 5/8's wave antennas are great on a vehicle where you have lots of metal to mount in on, but in a remote location you may be stuck. Look into a half wave antenna as an option. They'll work with and without a ground plane.

cathmer

Thanks! In the sense of being as useful as possible is where the gps idea came in. One of the events the club helps with is the MS bike ride. Not that I would be doing anything so complex to start, more of I would like to find equipment capable, then learn.

"Train as you fight and fight as you train" is how I've learned pretty much everything. This way I can either loan it to a ham that needs it and ask for training in return, or I can use what I know and learn more as I go. Either way, I'd rather spend a little extra upfront so that I can learn.

I stopped at the local shop today and picked up my general materials.

As far as ant, my plan to start was a 5/8's for the van and I was going to build the J-Pole (plans I found on this site) from copper pipe. Your absolutely correct , no sense to spend 300-800 on a radio without antenna's that will support it!

Sounds like the Kenwood's pretty popular, that's usually a good thing for finding knowledgable help when needed.

I need to do more checking, but my initial look see at the local code book says I can only have up to a 10' tower, either from the ground or the roof line. So I may be quite limited on what I could eventually do anyway.

Thank you all for your time , I welcome any more thoughts ideas suggestions.

WyoDuner

I use a Diamond X-50 dual bander on my house. It's 5/8 and I think 5/8 over 5/8 on 440... You can look up the specs but, it's not too big and really performs well for under $100. Browning makes something similar for even less. Nothing against a J-Pole but, it's really no better than a 1/4 ground plane. I recommend something with a flatter radiation pattern - ie 5/8 wave.

Regarding Chinese - For HTs generally they are pretty good but I also would avoid them for mobile use.

Remember for your mobile you're going to need a dual band antenna - I have a couple Browning dual banders - forget model but they are on Amazon and about $35 or so.

cathmer

Anyone have thoughts around these:

Kenwood TM-D710G
Vs
Yaesu FTM-400DR

I'm sorta leaning toward the 400DR at this point. Scratch that. Realized that the rebate would be eaten up by the optional stuff I would need. The Kenwood looks to come with. So I'm leaning to the d710g

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The D-710 basically a V71 with a fancy head unit. I have a V71, and can recommend it.

Have you checked to reviews of both radios on eham.com?

Sent via Tapatalk

cathmer

Yea the 710 has about a 4.6/5 on eham and the 400 has a 4/5

I sorta like the idea of the password lockout on the Kenwood also. I have a 2 year old and 4 year old , even keeping my office door locked I wouldn't want to take a chance on them getting ahold of this while I'm at work or something.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had a TM-D710 and it was a really nice radio. It'll do APRS, dual band, cross band repeat, and has a wide receive range.

Never used the FTM-400, so I don't have an opinion.

Kenwood has way better microphones than Yaesu.

cathmer

Wow thanks. That Icom seems very comparable with the Kenwood 710.

I'm going to the level of reading the online manuals to decide which one I want to go with. I'll add this to my research list! Thank you!!

cathmer

well... still haven't purchased just yet... I guess I have buyer's "lock" ... I'm also still waiting on my callsign, I passed the test 10 days ago (including today as one of those), so i'm getting amped up ;)

The good news is that my UV82hp came back fixed, and my mag-mount and misc cables and SWR meter etc are shipped out, so I will at least be able to hook the HT up to the bigger antenna for a while...

I did get my power supply from Powerwerx, seems very nice...

So now it's down to the actual trans ... I just cannot decide....

I'm going to reach back out to a few people in the local club that I met

cathmer

I'm suffering from "analysis paralysis". I thought about the D-Star feature, but then again I see a lot of EchoLink gateways out there as well. Maybe I'm not understanding since I'm new, but shouldn't I be able to use EchoLink to "pop out" of a repeater (setup and linked to the Internet of course) anywhere in the world?

Really this is a good situation to be in, so many offerings can do so much stuff with the tech we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.