BC-RH96 Scanner Unconnected issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

astrousr

A friend of mine loaned me his RH96 to use for a while as he doesn't really use it anymore as he moved over to a 536HP. I am trying to use it with a 396XT and am getting the Scanner Disconnected message all the time. I have tried using two different 396XT's that both have firmware version 1.11.01, the RH96 has version 2.00.01 which seems to be the latest one.

When he plugs the RH96 into his 996, not sure if its a 996T or XT, the remote head fires right up and works. I have tried different baud rates on my scanner and turned off the control channel output off with no success. Running out of ideas?

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Are they both the same country? In AU the UBC396T/XT will only work with a AU version head and the BCD396T/XT will only work with a US version head.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine loaned me his RH96 to use for a while as he doesn't really use it anymore as he moved over to a 536HP. I am trying to use it with a 396XT and am getting the Scanner Disconnected message all the time. I have tried using two different 396XT's that both have firmware version 1.11.01, the RH96 has version 2.00.01 which seems to be the latest one.

When he plugs the RH96 into his 996, not sure if its a 996T or XT, the remote head fires right up and works. I have tried different baud rates on my scanner and turned off the control channel output off with no success. Running out of ideas?

Are you using it in your car? If not, what type of power supply to the RH96 are you using?

astrousr

Are you using it in your car? If not, what type of power supply to the RH96 are you using?

Yeah using it in car with original cables. The weird part is my friend had it hooked to his 996 and it worked fine. Then we switched it to my 396XT and it didn't work and back to the 996 and it works fine. I have tried two different 396XT's with the same result. The serial ports on the scanners are fine as I can program them with FreeScan and plug them into pro96com or Trunk88.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I seem to recall the FW on the head had to be updated to work with the XT-series...but I could be wrong.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I can simulate that error by disconnecting the cable. Did you use the same cable for both installations? Maybe you have a bad cable or bad connector on the 396XT.
BB

astrousr

I can simulate that error by disconnecting the cable. Did you use the same cable for both installations? Maybe you have a bad cable or bad connector on the 396XT.
BB

If it was a bad cable why would it work with the 996 and not my scanner? Serial port on my scanners work fine, they are programmed all the time. I have a 346xtc in going to try it with, and if it doesn't work I guess I have to give up on it?

N1NCZ

astrousr

I tried the reset all settings options, and tried another scanner, a 346XTC with no luck still. About to give up on getting this to work.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Maybe a possible ground loop with some potential current riding on the data cables shield or common wore if both ends are not powered from the same AC source before the rectification to DC maybe?

I know that should not happen with these things and the switching type power supplies Uniden provided but I've seen weirder issues on other manufacturers equipment. It was always a much more common problem over longer distances than the short cable Uniden supplied though.

I ran a RH96 over 1500 feet from a 996T without any problems for about a year. Both ends were fed from different power sources of course.
The far end used a mix of solar power and rectified AC power that replenished some older (SLA I think) type batteries from old failed UPS units. The RH-96 just used its supplied wall wart for its power. I do recall checking that circuit for any stray power before connecting it but it was just a trace with no potential.

Never a problem with that setup. That one also had an ethernet connected relay that I could power cycle the 996T through. I think the ethernet relay cost more than the radio. It used simple normally closed contacts that were not connected to the relays power in any way.

A difference in voltage riding on the cables common wire is about the only thing I can think of that may be causing your problem as it sounds like you have checked about everything else.

Being as you are trying portables, I assume you are trying them when on just battery power. That should eliminate any ground loop type problems unless something is coming into the 396s through the antenna connector if using an external antenna.

That's an odd one.

Status
Not open for further replies.