Franklin / Oak Creek Fire "Red"

Status
Not open for further replies.

safd3130

I have spent most of my summer looking for the frequency for Franklin and/or Oak Creek fire "Red". It seems to be the fireground channel, but nothing I can find seems to be it, e.g. MABAS. I have a BCD436HP and no luck with the pre-programed frqu. Is it some sort of short talkaround?

mkescan

Departments on 800 MHz use the 800 MABAS Freqs. Milwaukee County always uses Red, White, Blue.
Red is pretty much used most of the time.
Red 851.4500 (156.7)
White 851.9500 (156.7)
Blue 852.4500 (156.7)
When the full name is used, it will be 8-Tac Red, 8-Tac White, 8-Tac Blue.
You will have to be pretty close to hear them, few blocks for portable, Rig radios could be a mile or 2.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I live in Franklin and almost always catch Franklin fireground ops on 153.830, PL 69.3. Sometimes they are on 851.450, PL 156.7, but not nearly as much. I live in the Northeast corner of the city and can clearly hear ops from anywhere in the city. I have a good antenna setup though, so that may be helping.

Whenever 153.830 is active there are occasional beeps on the channel, and the signal strength of transmissions seem to indicate that there is a repeater in use, because it's not like some transmissions are weak and others are strong. They are all strong. There's no variance in signal strength, which leads me to believe that there is an on-scene repeater of some type activated during fireground incidents.

I could be wrong, but now I'll make sure to keep 153.830 and 851.450 in my daily recordings list to confirm.

Last edited:

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
You are correct, FFD frequently uses their crossband repeater on their command vehicle. This links their 800 MHz radios on 8TACRED to VHF FG RED to allow communications with mutual aid partners who are on VHF. As a point of reference, every FD in Milwaukee County has at least one of these devices.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.