• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1250 - WTF am I supposed to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! New member here.

I just recently acquired a CDM 1250 Motorola Radio and now I have no idea what to do with it. I'm gonna install it in my vehicle (have installed a CB Before plus I repair radios for the military) and probably use the default settings at first.

Here's the kicker. I want to be able to program it with a computer.

WAT DO!?

I've looked up the programming cable and the software, but I'm kind of lost with terms like:

EID

Actually that's it.

Do I have to be some sort of commercial user to use this radio at all? Or is that only for features to be used later?

If any of you guys happen to own this radio and could help me out I would appreciate it. I want to get it up and running ASAP.

Dygear

Sorry mate, your kind of screwed. Take it to a motorola authorized service provider and hope they take mercy on your poor soul and program it for cheap. Otherwise, you'd have to pay the piper for the software and that's about $300.

sfd119

You want to get this radio up and running ASAP but for what? What channels are you going to talk on? This isn't like a CB where you can pick a channel and talk.

jim202

It might help if you posted the model number of the radio and just what frequencies your planning to have programmed into the radio. The CDM family of radios come in many different bands like low band 30 to 50 MHz., VHF in the range of 136 to 172 MHz. and UHF in the range 0f 450 to 512 MHz. Now one radio will not span the entire range of frequencies in one band. Generally there is 2 or 3 models to make the coverage. So it is important to acquire the correct model for the exact range of frequencies your planning to use the radio on.

Plus there is the problem of a license if your planning to transmit with the radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi guys! New member here.

I just recently acquired a CDM 1250 Motorola Radio and now I have no idea what to do with it. I'm gonna install it in my vehicle (have installed a CB Before plus I repair radios for the military) and probably use the default settings at first.

There are no "default" settings in a new radio, they arrive blank and require programming to make them work. If you acquired a used one, then it may have been programmed, but that doesn't mean it's OK to use those frequencies.

The proper antenna is key to performance. The frequencies used will determine which antenna you need. "just any old antenna" will not work. CB antennas will not work properly.

Do I have to be some sort of commercial user to use this radio at all? Or is that only for features to be used later?

You need to be properly licensed by the FCC, no exceptions. There are not any "license free" channels you can use. There are no exemptions for low power, "didn't know", "thought it was OK", "Some guy on the internet told me", etc.

Depending on the exact model of the radio, you -may- be able to utilize it if you had a valid FCC issued amateur radio license, valid FCC issued GMRS license or a valid FCC issued license for your business.

If any of you guys happen to own this radio and could help me out I would appreciate it. I want to get it up and running ASAP.

I've got several of these, both at work and at home. Good solid radios. You will need the programming software and cable if you want to program it yourself, or you can take it to a radio shop and they can do it for you.
It's not impossible to program one of these up on your own, but it is not easy for the first timer. There are a lot of variables involved and settings that have to be exactly right for it to work and not cause interference to legally licensed users. The big risk here isn't that you might cause harmful interference with the local Home Depot radios, but that you could actually and quite easily interfere with police or fire dispatch radio systems. It is critical that you set this up correctly and legally before proceeding.

There are many on this site that would be happy to help you out.

Good luck, and welcome!

12dbsinad

Take it to a local radio shop and have them program it. As said, the 1250 is not a consumer type radio like a CB or a pair of bubble pack radios that come pre-programmed. Tell the shop what your intended use is and they will guide you in the right direction, and legally.

As also stated, buying the software and cable is pretty expensive. It would probably cost as much if not more than what the actual radio is worth. It needs to be purchased through Motorola with a license agreement, and they do not give it away. Unless you have a large fleet to program usually it's way cheaper to just let a shop do it.

Jesus christ. I'm getting attacked a lot for just stating I wanted the radio up. No I don't have my HAM yet, but am working towards it, I just want it up for listening purposes and emergency use. I can get the software and the cable for it pretty easy through my local radio club here in Alaska (they are helping me get my HAM license).

The whole point of asking is so I CAN get the radio up and working. Alaska doesn't have very many radio shops to ask, and the local motorola place up here wants like 500$ to program it which is BS.

I want to program it with local FRS/GMRS, Ambulance Dispatch (listen), Police/Fire (Listen Mic locked out.), and a few of the local HAM stations here so when I get my license I can get started. I have no malicious intent in this.

There are a few helpful answers here and a few not. I have the software (hopefully the right version) just need the cable. I THOUGHT you could just plug in a RJ45 cable to a PC and be good to go, but there's no documentation on how to actually program it online that I can find.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
How about posting the model number so that those here that are willing to help you can do so.

The CPS also has help files that explain everything.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Jesus christ. I'm getting attacked a lot for just stating I wanted the radio up. No I don't have my HAM yet, but am working towards it, I just want it up for listening purposes and emergency use. I can get the software and the cable for it pretty easy through my local radio club here in Alaska (they are helping me get my HAM license).

Some folks here tend to get a bit uptight if they think someone is going to try and operate illegally. It happens quite a bit, so try not to take it personally.

The whole point of asking is so I CAN get the radio up and working. Alaska doesn't have very many radio shops to ask, and the local motorola place up here wants like 500$ to program it which is BS.

Yeah, that's about 10 times what it should cost. However, you've just discovered the first rule about Motorola. That is: If it has the Motorola name on it, it's going to be ridiculously expensive.

I want to program it with local FRS/GMRS, Ambulance Dispatch (listen), Police/Fire (Listen Mic locked out.), and a few of the local HAM stations here so when I get my license I can get started. I have no malicious intent in this.

Shouldn't have a problem with any of that if it is the right radio. Individual channels can be programmed as "receive only". This is a really good idea to prevent accidents.
Programming the radio up with some of the local amateur radio repeaters would be an excellent idea. Listening in on their traffic can teach you a lot.

There are a few helpful answers here and a few not. I have the software (hopefully the right version) just need the cable. I THOUGHT you could just plug in a RJ45 cable to a PC and be good to go, but there's no documentation on how to actually program it online that I can find.

The programming interface for the radio can be done either through the front RJ-45 microphone jack or through the rear 20 pin connector. It's usually easier and more common to use the RJ-45 jack on the front.

The programming cables:
You can do it the 'official' Motorola way, which involves a RIB (Radio Interface Box) which converts your computers RS232 signal to the TTL level signal used by the radio. They are not cheap, although you can find after market models. With the RIB, you need a radio specific cable, or if you are good at soldering, you can whip up your own cable out of a DB type connector and an old RJ-45 Ethernet cable.

You can also purchase aftermarket "RIB-less" cables that will connect between your computers RS232 or USB port and the radio.

The programming software:
If you've got a local amateur club, let them help you out. It's not easy to do and getting some experienced help really prevents a lot of headaches.
If you need to acquire your own copy of the software, the only -legal- source is to purchase from Motorola. The Motorola software licensing is pretty serious stuff with them and they take their copy writes really seriously.
Also....The software version is critical. The version of software you can use depends on the version of the radio and the last version used to program it.

They are really good radios. Make sure you spend some time getting the installation done right. Getting the antenna installed correctly and properly tuned will really impact the performance.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
As others have said, you're not being attacked.

PRCGUY said it best. Moto charges a hefty fee for what they do; so you may be able to find some body up there in the "winter year 'round" state to help you out. Just continue your search and you'll eventually get some help with that xtr.

jim202

You have been asked a number of times what the model number is on the radio you have.

There should be a tag on the bottom of the radio with the model number and serial number. The model number should indicate what band the radio is on and possibly the frequency range within that band.

Your not trying to work with the people on here. You seem to ask for help and then provide nothing to have the people on here work with you. Stop for a few minutes, take some deep breathes and relax.

There are a number of hams in the Anchorage area. Without getting on the local repeaters, your not going to find any of them. So the next best thing to do is locate the club there and go to some of their meetings.

A number of years back I made a trip to Anchorage and gave several classes on radio interoperability there at the local police and fire dispatch center. Fine bunch of people there.

The local ham club in Anchorage, KL7AA is located at the Carr-Gottstein Bldg., at the Alaska Pacific University, 4101 University Drive, Anchorage. Next meeting is Sept. 4th at 7 PM. There was a phone listed with no area code 345-0719 that said to leave a message if no one answers.

My posts still have to be moderated before they can be put up, so it takes awhile for them to pop up.

Nomenclature: Motorola CDM 1250
MODEL: AAM25KKD9AA2AN
FCC ID: AZ492FT3795
GAN TYPE: WMHA109195585A
Ver No: R05.06.04
TANAPA: IMUD6015C

I think that's everything minus the serial number.

I'm purchasing an antenna from Amazon that is made for this type of receiver. My impression is that the Ver No: Is the CPS version of the software I need. I can get a hold of that pretty easily through deals and stuff.

I

cmdrwill

My impression is that the Ver No: Is the CPS version of the software I need. I can get a hold of that pretty easily through deals and stuff.I

Not exactly. CPS version and radio version are not the same. Best to get one of your 'friends' to read your radio first. That will be a great amount of help.

It appears you have a VHF radio that should cover the US Ham 2 meter band.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber

If the above is correct, you will not be able to get FRS or GMRS on the radio. If it is a UHF radio, it is not legal on FRS, and even "emergency" transmissions are a questionable area. Stick with a scanner for listening until you get your license.

N4KVE

Now that you know the radio is VHF, see what there is to listen too there on the VHF band, but you won't be hearing GMRS/FRS which is UHF. You can probably get a decent scanner which will hear all bands for less than the CPS, rib box, & cable will cost.

HummerMike

Ther are many ways to find repeater listings for your area. Through local hams, repeater directories and sites like Artici. Some you can put in your town or zip code and go out say 50 miles or so.
The CDM1250 is a good radio. It will do 64 channels. You can have a total of 16 channels in a scan list with a priority.
The CDM software can be intimadating to a newbe. Frequencies are entered in a channel list. Then channels are chosed to put into zones, etc, etc. If you have mistakes in your programming, when you go to write it or save it, you will get an error message. Aslo when programming, never interupt the download to the radio.
But, with all that, it is a very rugged radio. I have a few myself.
Mike

SCPD

QRT
Why are you here?

... I can get the software and the cable for it pretty easy through my local radio club here in Alaska ....

It sounds to me like your ham club can program the radio.
And it seems to me hams at the club have the answer for every question you have posted here.
And it seems to me they would know the frequencies you need programmed.

One suggestion, if I may. Let those in the club who have already done it program the radio for you.

Maybe I should have mentioned I own a UV-5R+ already, so I'm familiar with HAM already. Just it's hard to find documentation on this radio.

https://www.connectingyou.com/media/CDM1250_User_Guide.pdf
This is the user guide, and it doesn't say anything about the frequency range of my model.

http://mrcwireless.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/MD-CDM1250-01c_cdm1250_specs_New.pdf
But this kind of leads me to believe it can do both, like my baofeng does.

I can't find anything else that states what it's supposed to be. I like black and white, not 'some guy on the internet said.' If you guys could link to where you're getting this information it would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.