GRE SuperAmp Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have been playing around with my trusty old GRE SuperAmp (the portable version) and decided it was time to use it more often at home for some specialized applications.

According to the manual it uses 9VDC with the tip negative for the external power supply. I am surprised at this since most everything else uses tip positive.

Amazingly I have no 9VDC wall warts in my junque boxes at this time (I must have done a good job of weeding things out when I moved this spring...) so it is off to Fry's this weekend.

My questions are:

1) Is the manual correct, is it really tip negative?

2) Has anyone had any heat build up leaving it connected to external power for extended periods?

ki5gf

Correct

Rich, I have a Super Amp and the manual is correct. I got tired of replacing those 9v batteries while using
the amp at home. So got a regular 9v, center positive wall-wart, cut the lead, reversed the cut ends, put it back together and now have a center negative wall-wart for my Super Amp.
Steve

dkf435

Back when those came out all the GRE Radio Shack scanners had the same plug. The reason for the positive ring was they were using the switching built into the DC jack to switch external power and battery.

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.