Interesting Parallel Saga At AOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

For those following the saga of the unfinished 436/536 scanner feature set, there is what I feel to be a very similar "adventure" going on right now, albeit in somewhat quieter surroundings, over on the AOR forums. This involves the release of their latest receiver, the AOR AR-DV1.

It seems that the DV1 was also released with some of its features not fully implemented. In fact, the Universal Radio website advises potential buyers in small print, "The ambitious AR-DV1B previewed much new technology. Upon release we noted that not every function operated in an optimum manner.
AOR has begun a program of field updates that has already addressed virtually all early "bugs" and many new features and capabilities have been added."

The DV1 is not a scanner per se, but a wide-band receiver that has incorporated certain scanning functions. The reviews of the DV1, at least on the AOR forums, have been mixed. I've professed an interest in the DV1, and I'm wondering if we are now seeing a new trend where equipment is put out for sale even though the finished product is, well, er, not finished.

Some interesting similarities with the 436/536-- the DV1 has been criticized for having a less than appealing display. Purchasers of the DV1 are awaiting firmware upgrades that are supposed to "complete" the function set of the radio, although it appears that AOR's firmware upgrades are more frequent than Uniden's. And, like the Uniden 536, it's DIN sized, apparently to give some standardization in mobile mounting.

One of the appeals of the DV1 is that it incorporates decoding a greater range of digital modes, albeit those that might be of interest more to ham radio operators, although some public and private services use the modes as well. P25 Phase I is one of the incorporated modes, but the radio DOES NOT trunk, and, from the best of my readings, will never do trunking. And there is no Phase II capability, although that could technically be moot, since there is no trunking capability.

Apparently Uniden is not the only company employing a "Pay Now, Fly Later" strategy. Since we are in The Tavern, I just thought I would toss that out there, for whatever it's worth.

Boatanchor

It's a sad state of affairs, to be sure.

I'm afraid that these companies are like the dinosaur manufacturers of yesteryear.

If they are going to survive, they need to start doing some effing MARKET RESEARCH! before committing millions of dollars of R&D, manufacturing and ongoing product support.

Unbelievable!

Boatanchor

As most of your posts are.At least you did not write a book this time disguised as a post.Sorry could not resist and it is the Uniden Tavern no?

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Firstly, I didn't start this thread.

Secondly, it is highly likely this thread will be 'relocated' to the appropriate forum by a moderator.

Thirdly, if you find my posts 'unbelievable', please feel free to completely ignore them and move on with your life. I wont be too upset, I promise..

If for some reason you can't ignore my posts or just don't want to see them, please feel free to utilize this feature of RR:

http://forums.radioreference.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They don't care because there is no competition. How many companies make scanners now, 2, maybe 3.
Imagine what cars and trucks would be like if there were only a few manufacturers.

I know the scanner market is limited compared to the transportation market but from looking at the number of members of this great site someone is buying these things.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Based on my experience with the x36HPs and AR-DV1, I agree with the OP about unfinished features in both cases. However, the 436HP/536HP (if we disregard issues like the display, RTC, incomplete Wi-Fi features, for a moment) are still (in my opinion) great scanners. In terms of scanning, they do what they are supposed to do and do it pretty well.
I do not feel the same about the AR-DV1. That one (again in my opinion) needs to start over again. OK, I get there is no trunking (supposed wide-band receiver) but what use is a VHF/UHF radio these days for monitoring that does not have trunking. And frankly, I am less than impressed by its qualities as a receiver.
I can still positively recommend the 436 and 536 as great scanners, if one is mindful of the pending issues. I can't really recommend the AR-DV1, and with all its updated firmware so far, I am less and less impressed by what the final result may be. Again, my favorite disclaimer: Your milage may vary (YMMV).

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good to me Mancow. I am not a radio engineer, but I'll certainly support the cause, including financially. Let's go ladies and gentlemen.

Steve AA6IO

mancow

Database Admin
If I were CEO...

Firmware issues would be paramount. I can't conceive of a reason it should take months or years to release updates and features.

MStep

Based on my experience with the x36HPs and AR-DV1, I agree with the OP about unfinished features in both cases. However, the 436HP/536HP (if we disregard issues like the display, RTC, incomplete Wi-Fi features, for a moment) are still (in my opinion) great scanners. In terms of scanning, they do what they are supposed to do and do it pretty well.
I do not feel the same about the AR-DV1. That one (again in my opinion) needs to start over again. OK, I get there is no trunking (supposed wide-band receiver) but what use is a VHF/UHF radio these days for monitoring that does not have trunking. And frankly, I am less than impressed by its qualities as a receiver.
I can still positively recommend the 436 and 536 as great scanners, if one is mindful of the pending issues. I can't really recommend the AR-DV1, and with all its updated firmware so far, I am less and less impressed by what the final result may be. Again, my favorite disclaimer: Your milage may vary (YMMV).

Uh-oh Steve... if you've been following my posts on the AOR forums, you might have (correctly) surmised that I was "on the brink" of pulling the trigger with the AR-DV1. I read with much interest your own posts there; I know you had the receiver for a while on a "trial" basis, and that when you had to return it, you kinda missed having it around. So you ended up buying one !!!

Now, from you post here, it looks like you are having that "love/hate" relationship with the DV1 once again. You don't have to get into the specifics--- you pretty much summed it up here. I guess you've sent me back into a holding pattern again.

And yes, I love my 536--- for all of it's issues and problems, it's still the best scanner out there.

slicerwizard

Apparently Uniden is not the only company employing a "Pay Now, Fly Later" strategy. Since we are in The Tavern, I just thought I would toss that out there, for whatever it's worth.
No offense, but not much, IMO. The real issues are:

- AOR won't do trunking, at least not until the old guy kicks the bucket

- the AR-DV1 shows that there is no excuse for Uniden or Whistler to not produce, at a minimum, NXDN/DMR/P25 capable scanners; the less popular modes - D-Star, Fusion - can wait

MStep

No offense, but not much, IMO. The real issues are:

- AOR won't do trunking, at least not until the old guy kicks the bucket

- the AR-DV1 shows that there is no excuse for Uniden or Whistler to not produce, at a minimum, NXDN/DMR/P25 capable scanners; the less popular modes - D-Star, Fusion - can wait

I've read many of the comments about the AR-DV1, and my impression is that those who either had an opportunity to try it, or who actually purchased it, felt that it was an unfinished work, or if you prefer, a work in progress. Not many comments along those lines about other radios. Incidentally, I accept the fact that the DV1 was not designed to, nor will it ever likely do trunking. But my impression was that folks felt that it had not lived up to its full promise, somewhat similar to the 436/536 units. Those interested my want to peruse the AOR forums for more insight.

My guess on Uniden's lack of additional digital modes at this time is more likely attributable to necessary product release dates and pricing structure rather than other possible factors.

And no, I'm not offended. :)

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Let me put this out for you to think about.
1. Fix all the current problems (battery, display, ect)
2. Then they all (Uniden Whistler) need to address the simulcast problems before adding new problems to the mix.
3. After the simulcast problems are fixed (and they can be) then add new digital modes.

gesucks

At Dayton, I had cash in hand to buy 10 DV-1 for work. Played with and put my money away. i dont thing they will be at a stage worth buying even at Dayton 16. Even if they do not do trunking, to not have a data out for others to decode or do trunking (like TrunkPCR for the ICOM black boxes) in showing you have no idea of your market, even if it is a receiver not a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.