172.8000 w.n.c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

08/27/15, about 9 this morning. Started an custom search w/ my new 536HP. At 172.8000 picked up what could best be described as an open repeater sound(low level static background), with a soft tone briefly at about every ten seconds. It is constant wave. An attenuator "on" ends the transmission. W/ ATT off it is coming in at half strength in Asheville. Comes in as NFM. Records are pretty bare for this frequency other than general references to the F.C.C. having authorized use. Any ideas? If anyone has ever heard an M 36 system in "failsoft", that's exactly what it sounds like..

Last edited:

ecps92

Not having used the 536, my first thought is an image from 900 Mhz
See if you also get the "Failsoft" in the 900 Band

IF not, hmmm I've not heard the FCC on VHF in almost 20 yrs
and 172 was the input not the output

I know some of my other Bearcat/Unidens are notorious for getting 900 TRS's in the higher VHF Federal Bands

08/27/15, about 9 this morning. Started an custom search w/ my new 536HP. At 172.8000 picked up what could best be described as an open repeater sound(low level static background), with a soft tone briefly at about every ten seconds. It is constant wave. An attenuator "on" ends the transmission. W/ ATT off it is coming in at half strength in Asheville. Comes in as NFM. Records are pretty bare for this frequency other than general references to the F.C.C. having authorized use. Any ideas? If anyone has ever heard an M 36 system in "failsoft", that's exactly what it sounds like..

AlphaFive

That's an excellent idea, my Pro 197 has a mirror like that at almost exactly 761.4725 mhz. Applying that to the 536Hp puts me up into 934.2725, no luck so far. It's a little after two right now, and the signal is still present. One odd thing, My Pro 197 isn't receiving any of it. Ahhhhhhhh, the State of Tennessee has a new Phase 2 system that includes V.H.F. band. I could be looking at a simple IF mirror down approximately 21 points. I'm going to look into that, Thank you for your help. Happy Listening

ecps92

The 900 TRS would be 935-940 Mhz

That's an excellent idea, my Pro 197 has a mirror like that at almost exactly 761.4725 mhz. Applying that to the 536Hp puts me up into 934.2725, no luck so far. It's a little after two right now, and the signal is still present. One odd thing, My Pro 197 isn't receiving any of it. Ahhhhhhhh, the State of Tennessee has a new Phase 2 system that includes V.H.F. band. I could be looking at a simple IF mirror down approximately 21 points. I'm going to look into that, Thank you for your help. Happy Listening

ecps92

Yes. But not everyone has Re-Aligned :)

We still have many Non Standard Pairs in use here in New England

However dealing with the FCC Office for a few investigations, they never had radios, just Cellphones, even on the road

YMMV tho

That was before the 162-174 federal band was realigned. I haven't seen any reports of what they are using lately.

n4yek

the State of Tennessee has a new Phase 2 system that includes V.H.F. band.
Just fyi
The Tennessee TACN system VHF freqs, 152 MHz to 153 MHz range, are mainly in middle and west Tennessee with the exception of one site but that is located north of Knoxville. I would doubt you would be getting anything from them strong enough to do any mixing in your scanners.

AlphaFive

Very true, the only regular transmissions received over here in Asheville from Tennessee come out systems from the Tri Cities area, or the transmitter over on Viking Mountain. Thanks for your help.

n4yek

deleted post

(further reading of what I had posted had nothing to do with the frequency you are asking about)

Last edited:

AlphaFive

What a great source of information your message was. I spent this morning online researching "self quieting frequencies". You were very correct Sir. I have been scanning since 1978, and most certainly was familiar with birdies, but I have to say, I was not familiar with "self quieting" and 172.8000. So, thank you for the advice. This is what R.R. is for...and what it does best

Status
Not open for further replies.