Exceptionally Bad Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I think that filling a public forum with very specific radar spots on military aircraft is a very bad idea for the virtual radar hobby.

Bizjet operators are already in discussions with the FAA about "protecting" their Mode S information from prying eyes (hobbyists and competitors, and maybe regulators although they would never come out and say that). Imaging the military developing similar concerns and demanding that the new ATC system provide for secrecy of Mode S data.

The FAA would almost be compelled to encrypt the entire system, including airliners, and the virtual radar hobby would disappear almost overnight.

Too much specific chatter about other aspects of the radio monitoring hobbies have already caused agencies to "protect" their communications from public interception. Why are we begging for the same thing to happen again?

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I'd agree with you to a point. Filling a public forum with the info is exceptionally bad as you suggested.

However, Mode S still isn't even 100 % built out. Private aircraft are just beginning to sink money into the systems and I thoroughly doubt that having just purchased a system, they'll gladly fork out money for an encrypted system to replace a system that is less than 5 years old for them.

D

DaveNF2G

You can try to defend the practice of blabbing about every intercept in any way you wish.

I stand by my assertion that it is stupid and bad for the hobby.

D

DaveNF2G

Right - every transceiver in every equipped aircraft is going to know the same "secret" key, but no-one else will. Uh huh.

There is nothing illegal about intercepting Mode S traffic. Should it become encrypted, then attempting to crack or use the key will become a federal crime. Software will not be available through our usual open channels. No more PlanePlotter, ADSB# or equivalents. No Radar Box, SBS3, ModeS Beast, etc., because they will become useless or worse, contraband because their only possible use would be to facilitate a crime.

The laws of physics are irrelevant. Proof? Remember what happened with mobile phone monitoring.

toastycookies

Any sources or just pure speculation?

I think that filling a public forum with very specific radar spots on military aircraft is a very bad idea for the virtual radar hobby.

Bizjet operators are already in discussions with the FAA about "protecting" their Mode S information from prying eyes (hobbyists and competitors, and maybe regulators although they would never come out and say that). Imaging the military developing similar concerns and demanding that the new ATC system provide for secrecy of Mode S data.

The FAA would almost be compelled to encrypt the entire system, including airliners, and the virtual radar hobby would disappear almost overnight.

Too much specific chatter about other aspects of the radio monitoring hobbies have already caused agencies to "protect" their communications from public interception. Why are we begging for the same thing to happen again?

kma371

QRT
I think the military understands the sensitivity of their aircrafts positions, that is why they do not enable ADS-B while in flight.

For now, as long as GPS positions are not included in the forum spots, we will be OK. This is no different than hearing a military aircraft on the scanner and posting the same information.

D

DaveNF2G

I'm sorry, but I think once again RadioReference is making exactly the wrong decision for the hobby in general.

kma371

QRT
I'm sorry, but I think once again RadioReference is making exactly the wrong decision for the hobby in general.

Exactly how is RR making the wrong decision? This information is readily available through several internet sources, not just us, for several years. There are no positions being reported and for that matter no frequencies either. There is also no proof as to their accuracy so they are totally unreliable as well if you think about it.

D

DaveNF2G

RR will own its share of the blame for adding fuel to the fire. I never said RR was the only one, but if everybody else jumped off a bridge...

kma371

QRT
fuel to the fire by displaying words with no location info, got it. some people are never happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.