BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Alkaline VS. Rechargeable

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just curious! I'm not looking for numerical specifics as much as a yes or no answer.
Has anyone found a significant run time using alkaline batteries ( I favor Duracell ) vs.
rechargeable ones ( I use Maha 2700s ) on the 436? I monitor mixed analog and digital together and don't tend to use the back light much. Audio is kept at 10 or lower most of the time..I have ALWAYS used the rechargeables on it even charge them on a smart Maha charger which reconditions. I'm just curious if others have found a noticeable difference! I store batteries for emergencies and cycle them when it's time but never tried the scanners. I have a ton of rechargeables.

Thanks!

Manny

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
mAH ratings for Duracell AA Alkaline batteries is around 2400 mAH. Your Maha 2700's should out perform them if they are making the ratings. The higher end chargers will give you the mAH ratings of your rechargeable batteries, and you can watch capacity over time and replace them as they start losing capacity.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
mAH ratings for Duracell AA Alkaline batteries is around 2400 mAH. Your Maha 2700's should out perform them if they are making the ratings. The higher end chargers will give you the mAH ratings of your rechargeable batteries, and you can watch capacity over time and replace them as they start losing capacity.

Great! Thanks! I'll continue to use the 2700s and keep the alkalines as back up like on trips and stuff! Reconditioning helps a LOT! LOL Love my C801D charger!
Thanks again!

Manny

SCPD

QRT
With the low discharge NiMH batteries .. there is really no need for alkaline batteries anymore. The Maha chargers are great for charging batteries for our scanners.

NiMH are an efficient way to go when it comes to economy and storage.

Alkalines are so 1960's. :wink::wink:

gibbs70

Batteries

I have been using duracell "duraloop" 2000mah batteries in my 436HP since i got it. I have 2 sets of 3 that i was rotating with the 3 that came with the scanner, but the ones that came with the scanner have now gone south and wont charge properly. I normally get roughly 8 hours of scan time using the duraloops, but if i put in freshly charged ones when i go to bed and when i wake up the scanner is usually dead.

At costco today i scored 3 Duracell USB phone chargers (power banks) each with a 2200 mah capacity for $15.00.I am going to try and run the scanner from one of these until it dies, then hopefully it will switch to the internal AA's seemlessly, and i should be able to double the scan time for $ 5.00 per unit.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys

Very interesting and much appreciated replies. I'm gonna keep on going with my 2700 batteries and just replace them as needed. The Maha brand charger has really made a huge difference with it's individual battery level indicator and reconditioning ability. I only inquired because I went on a 5 day camping trip recently, taking my 436hp, didn't have my charger and ran out of my 2700s. This forced me to use alkalines. With all the activities( 20 tents over 75 of us) I did not have time to pay attention to run times. Well, another reason to pick up more batteries!😉 thanks again guys! Now how to sneak this past my wife.....hmm...

Manny

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
Just thought I'd drop a link to these interesting devices. They aren't shipping quite yet and as always be wary of crowdfunded items:

Batteriser

I will say that I have some on order.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Eneloops

I've owned many different brand, but none like Eneloops. You can find these fine batteries on Amazon. I might add, these batteries are known for their long shelf-life without depletion of charge. I use these in my 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.