Yaesu: FTM-100DR New User Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMiller

I've had my Technician license for 6 months, and just upgraded from a borrowed IC-2000 to a FTM-100DR for mobile use.

I paid an installer to fabricate a bracket and mount the radio back under the steering column in my SUV so I can get to the connections and SD card. I have a nice clean install for the control head and mic.

Using the RT Systems software I programmed in the (400 or so) repeaters in a 300 mile radius of home from the software's Repeaterbook query. A lot easier than punching buttons and spinning a dial for sure! I am using city locations instead of call signs for the memory channel names to easily identify repeaters on road trips.

I started out loading all of the channels into Band A memory, and now have 2 meter in Band A and 70 cm in Band B. I am not sure what I like better. I don't really know how to use the dual listening function so I can quickly resond on the "secondary " band.

I have the simplex frequencies in programmed in Upper and Lower limits memories for each band but not sure how to scan them.

I have APRS up and running on 144.390, turned on Smart Beacon and see message traffic but don't really know how to reply efficiently.

Any other FTM-100DR users out there? How do you have it configured, and why?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I bought one to replace my Kenwood TM-V71A which is now in my office. I did not buy the RT systems software. Programmed it all from the face of the radio.

My main interest was the C4FM digital as there are now more Fusion repeaters in the area. My radio lives under the passenger seat but the SD card slot and data jack is accessible. The control head is mounted on a Lido cup mount. The GPS in the control head has amazing sensitivity, sees more birds than my Galaxy S5 in a window mounted holder.

The radio has amazingly loud audio output, even from the built in speaker. (I have a Kenwood KES-5 LMR external speaker). I love the control head layout and the radio is very ergonomic. I think Yaesu hit a home run with the design of this radio. I have not found anything I don't like about it.

RF performance is stellar. I work in a downtown area full of RF and this thing never suffers from intermod or sensitivity problems, the V71A would get torn up on UHF and I always had to activate the AIP which knocks the sensitivity down.

Have not played with APRS yet on the FTM-100DR.

BrianMiller

Thanks for the response! Repeaterbook shows 1 YSF repeater 22 miles away. I'll have to give it a listen on the road but it's behind two hills from the house and I can't hit it.

I have 188 2-meter and 280 70-cm stations programmed after filtering out D-Star with the RT Systems SW Repeaterbook query by my location. Since the radio came with the data cable, I paid $25 for the download, no shipping req'd.

How do you have the memories programmed? All in one Memory Band (bank)? Or are you using both banks?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.