Newington Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFCJR

I been hearing encryption while scanning Newington as a conventional channel on a older scanner. I did a ID Search on my BCD536HP and it came on as TG 0-03-056. I only hear it on Sundays. Newington has a plan to put a stop to a large amount of Dirt Bikes and ATV,s that ride through town on Sundays blowing red lights and stop signs and disrupting traffic throughout town. I'm thinking this is what the encryption is all about. It started just after they announced they had a secret plan to stop them. I never heard encryption from Newington before.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
You are probably right,it makes sense, use an encrypted channel so if they have scanners then they wont know where or when police are coming from.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
its out of control!

I been hearing encryption while scanning Newington as a conventional channel on a older scanner. I did a ID Search on my BCD536HP and it came on as TG 0-03-056. I only hear it on Sundays. Newington has a plan to put a stop to a large amount of Dirt Bikes and ATV,s that ride through town on Sundays blowing red lights and stop signs and disrupting traffic throughout town. I'm thinking this is what the encryption is all about. It started just after they announced they had a secret plan to stop them. I never heard encryption from Newington before.

Encryption is a great idea for things like this. The motorcyclists, dirt bikers quad riders etc. breaking the laws and putting people's lives in danger is getting out of control more and more.Yesterday, around the 95 south / 91 split area, traffic was slow around 1-2 ish. In the grassy right side area, there was a regular crown vic state cruiser, a black charger ( undercover ) a newer state cruiser a New Haven PD transport van and here is the lovely part, a flat bed tow truck with FOUR racing style motorcycles strapped in on the flatbed. Not an accident either because they all looked in great shape. That's why traffic was so slow I guess, people stopping to look. So cudos to all law enforcement involved! Not sure if encryption was used for this but glad it was done! Hope Newington and other towns have the same results!

Manny

Last edited:

MFCJR

I agree N1SQB. This has been a problem for over a month. The police would watch them and do nothing about it because there are 100 or more that ride in I think from Hartford. They ride mostly through Newington into a part of New Britain then back into Newington before going back to where they started from. After someone video taped them and sent it to the news Newington posted they were going to do something about it. But the riders may be on to it.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Yes manny you are correct,this is becoming a big problem,i know hartford and waterbury have a hard time catching them because they are not allowed by dept policy to engage in pursuit due to endangering the public,so this is why encryption is good to keep the stake out quiet

noobiest

There was 50-60 of these youth barreling up Chase Av, in WATR, on Sun around 8:30. All darked out and terrorizing the road. Not that they don't have a right to share the roads and socialize, hell I didn't say that or even think it.

ansky

So you're saying these guys on dirt bikes have scanners strapped to their belts, and that's why Newington PD needs encryption??? And why would they need to do a "stake out". They already know what roads these guys are traveling on.

Also, doesn't Newington use an analog system? I didn't know you could do encryption on analog.

MFCJR

Maybe I should not have used the word conventional. I'm not sure. I was using the single frequency (Control Channel?) not the trunk way to monitor Newington. All I know is that they are using encryption on Sunday afternoons only. The time them riders are known to ride through town.
I hope that answers some of your concerns.

Last edited:

ansky

But how do you know there is encryption? According to the database Newington is using an analog trunked system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think an analog system could handle encryption at all.

MFCJR

The voice is scrambled. I use to hear Middletown police back in the 1980s using encryption before digital systems. Maybe it's called scrambled. Either way it is there. TG 0-03-056

AlastairC

Better get use to it. They have Encrypted everything down here so even the latest scanners can't pick up anything. I moved from Farmington last year to Lowndes County last year.

ecps92

Analog can use encryption. Early Agencies used DVP/DES

Even Analog Trunks, can run P25 and P25 ENC w/o it being a Full P25 TRS

But how do you know there is encryption? According to the database Newington is using an analog trunked system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think an analog system could handle encryption at all.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well........

So you're saying these guys on dirt bikes have scanners strapped to their belts, and that's why Newington PD needs encryption???.

ansky, I think you're off course by a few miles on this one! Everyday someone in society is looking for a reason to hate Law Enforcement. They demonstrate this either by out right acts of violence like looting or rioting, or by doing things like breaking speed limits with vehicles they are not trained nor licensed ( in some cases ) to drive at normal speeds let alone higher ones engaging police in pursuit.Then guess what? THEY get hurt / killed ( or some other innocent person) and who's fault is it? Law Enforcement! So if they need a communications tool like encryption to help them get their job done, along with other legal tactics, then so be it! I say it all the time, I'm up to my ears in scanner equipment as are a lot of people on here. So I'm not gonna tell you that I'm in favor of encrypting everything all the time. But this public display of disrespect for the laws of this country, with no regard whatsoever for human life,then blaming the same Law Enforcement officers we pay to put a stop to this madness. has been out of hand for a VERY long time.! Sure, there have been a few bad apples that need to be dealt with, but by large, most Law Enforcement Officers are on the right side of the law.WHEN not IF we lose our rights to listen in because of full time encryption, we can blame two types of people: The law breakers and the radio dealers telling departments that encryption full time is the cure all to end all. Just my opinion!

Manny

Last edited:

ansky

ansky, I think you're off course by a few miles on this one! Everyday someone in society is looking for a reason to hate Law Enforcement. They demonstrate this either by out right acts of violence like looting or rioting, or by doing things like breaking speed limits with vehicles they are not trained nor licensed ( in some cases ) to drive at normal speeds let alone higher ones engaging police in pursuit.Then guess what? THEY get hurt / killed ( or some other innocent person) and who's fault is it? Law Enforcement! So if they need a communications tool like encryption to help them get their job done, along with other legal tactics, then so be it! I say it all the time, I'm up to my ears in scanner equipment as are a lot of people on here. So I'm not gonna tell you that I'm in favor of encrypting everything all the time. But this public display of disrespect for the laws of this country, with no regard whatsoever for human life,then blaming the same Law Enforcement officers we pay to put a stop to this madness. has been out of hand for a VERY long time.! Sure, there have been a few bad apples that need to be dealt with, but by large, most Law Enforcement Officers are on the right side of the law.WHEN not IF we lose our rights to listen in because of full time encryption, we can blame two types of people: The law breakers and the radio dealers telling departments that encryption full time is the cure all to end all. Just my opinion!

Manny

With all due respect, I think you're the one off by a few miles...LOL

I understand encryption can help police departments to some degree, but let's face it, 99.99999999% of the world is not using a scanner. For that reason, encrypting radio transmissions is not going to keep officers safer. The acts of violence that we have seen against police officers lately are for the most part random crimes of opportunity. You make it sound as though the perpetrators were listening on their scanner to find out where the cops would be so they could target them. That simply isn't the case. How is the use of encryption going to help an officer who is engaging in pursuit of a speeding vehicle as you mentioned? How would encryption have helped the cop in Texas who was shot while pumping gas? Or the two NYPD officers who were shot in Queens while simply sitting in their patrol car? Point me to some statistical evidence that encryption has helped prevent crimes or helped to keep an officer safe.

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Ansky i do agree with you on your opinion and true encryption would not have have protected the officers killed the recent rash of officer attacks,i have not heard or seen any reports of the a-holes using a scanner to find out where they were.it was a random walk up attack on the 2 NYPD officers and on the recent Houston sheriff.and what i saw in mannys post is that the radio dealers are pushing encryption for officer safety which would be in SWAT incidents and survellance.

Once in awhile i do hear on the news are read there are incidents where a bank robber has a scanner with him so he knows when the police are coming and which directions they are coming so that does not help the honest people that listen to scanners and pushes some depts to go encryption.luckily for us in connecticut there are not to many depts in ct that have encryption.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
With all due respect, I think you're the one off by a few miles...LOL

I understand encryption can help police departments to some degree, but let's face it, 99.99999999% of the world is not using a scanner. For that reason, encrypting radio transmissions is not going to keep officers safer. The acts of violence that we have seen against police officers lately are for the most part random crimes of opportunity. You make it sound as though the perpetrators were listening on their scanner to find out where the cops would be so they could target them. That simply isn't the case. How is the use of encryption going to help an officer who is engaging in pursuit of a speeding vehicle as you mentioned? How would encryption have helped the cop in Texas who was shot while pumping gas? Or the two NYPD officers who were shot in Queens while simply sitting in their patrol car? Point me to some statistical evidence that encryption has helped prevent crimes or helped to keep an officer safe.

I NEVER said nor "made it sound like" any perpetrators were doing anything with radios to find out where the cops are. THAT, is an erroneous conclusion on your part... I'm very sorry for those officers who have lost their lives and also those they leave behind. No of course encryption would not could not and will not save every officers life. You don't need a scanner to kill a cop. Just look at the mindless idiot who walked up to a Deputy and killed him, execution style, simply because he was fueling up his cruiser. But to return to the original topic, in some cases, encryption can and does help Law Enforcement do it's job! THAT is the point of this topic! If you don't understand that, I can't help you my friend!

Manny

Last edited:

ansky

I NEVER said nor "made it sound like" any perpetrators were doing anything with radios to find out where the cops are. THAT, is an erroneous conclusion on your part... I'm very sorry for those officers who have lost their lives and also those they leave behind. No of course encryption would not could not and will not save every officers life. You don't need a scanner to kill a cop. Just look at the mindless idiot who walked up to a Deputy and killed him, execution style, simply because he was fueling up his cruiser. But to return to the original topic, in some cases, encryption can and does help Law Enforcement do it's job! THAT is the point of this topic! If you don't understand that, I can't help you my friend!

Manny

You claim: "Encyption can and does help law enforcement do it's job" yet in all your posts you have not provided any evidence of this. It's just your anecdotal opinion.

Give me a real life actual example of this. I'm not interested in your thoughts or opinions. Just give me an actual example or incident where encryption has helped the police.

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Heres an example,if the police are doing an undercover sting to get a drug cartel or a group of people dealing weapons the police will use a encrypted channel so if these criminals are holed up somewhere and have a scanner to monitor them,they wont be able to hear them arriving on scene or getting ready to make entry and have the upper hand to get away or start a gun battle and shoot the officers ,they will be caught off guard.ive heared of it happening in los angeles california.

I am not a fan of encryption,but if these survelliance and swat channels are then i dont care ,and a fire department being encrypted makes no sense at all.

kmacinct

You claim: "Encyption can and does help law enforcement do it's job" yet in all your posts you have not provided any evidence of this. It's just your anecdotal opinion.

Give me a real life actual example of this. I'm not interested in your thoughts or opinions. Just give me an actual example or incident where encryption has helped the police.

Happens every day in one form or another..

"Call by Phone", "Check the MDT (computer) for details",

Tactical Concerns
Children involved Concerns
he-said-she-said issues
They have a scanner and are going to bolt when they hear cops coming
the list of 'why' goes on and on

jdanon

Greenwich went full time encrypted last winter. The police chief cited online feeds being used in the commission of crime(s) and privacy concerns. Privacy was a new one for me. Privacy for whom exactly? Especially when we're talking about a police department that has a bit of a checkered past. When called out on it, the police chief said it doesn't matter anyway because they're switching to a new radio system that can't be monitored so it was moot. To me it's all BS. The police just don't want to be monitored. They should just say that instead of making up excuses. I wonder why they can't just say that and why they have to dance around the real reason? It's interesting that the state police seem OK operating in the clear (the whole dirt bike/ATV sting at the I-91/95 split was in the clear on the state police channels), but the town clowns can't? Why? Even if they need to disseminate confidential info, they've had a way to easily do so the day the Nextel chirp was invented, and now they can do it via e-mail/chat on their in car computers. You go to a town meeting and to hear the police talk, it's as if they can't possibly do their jobs without computers in their cars, automated license plate readers, vehicles with less than 30 strobe lights, and a new radio system every decade. Makes you wonder how crimes were ever solved 10 or 20 years ago never mind 40 years ago. I know one can go down to their local department and request radio tapes for a small fee, but how would you ever know if they were edited or not? How could anyone ever prove it? I'm not against cops, it just feels like what was once squarely a civilian service has turned into something that operates in an increasingly secretive and aggressive fashion, and lacks accountability, transparency, and an us vs. them mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.