HP-1: Mobile mounting bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

If you mean the stock desk holder, it does not attach to anything and is not a mobile mount. RAM makes mobile mounts, and I believe they are basically a compression clamp that uses the grooves on the bottom of the unit.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That being the case here, the HP snaps into the bracket with a notch on the top and two on the bottom. This bracket can be bolted directly to the dash, or a RAM Mount with a suction base, which is what I use while mobile, mounted to the windshield with the bottom of the mount resting on the edge of the dash. Very stable setup and easy to view and operate..

52to12

sorry for the confusion and thanks to every one for your replies.
The bracket I was referring to was the UnidenBCKHP-1. I figured that it snapped on to the HP-1.
I just couldn't determine how the bracket attached to the dash.

phask

Premium Subscriber
There are many mounts designed for the bolt pattern on that mount. Panavise, Proclip and Ram all have compatible mounts.

Probably more Ram options than anything, How do you want to attach to the dash? Screws, Glue or Suction?

KE0GXN

I plan on going with a Lido cup holder mount a member here linked me to:

Mounts for Uniden HomePatrol-1 Scanner

I emailed their customer service rep Jim and he responded quickly to my questions. They seem like a good outfit. He did say, you would have to provide your own BCKHP-1 bracket, however he did verify their mounts were exactly compatiable with the Uniden bracket.

And yes, I mentioned their cupholder mount pic was confusing due to having a Kenwood handheld radio attached to it....he did not address that, but assured me the mount was completly compatiable with the HP-1 and 2, provided I supply the BCKHP.

KE0GXN

Got ya....I was referring to the Ram double-socket cup holder mount.

I show it at Amazon at $38.88 w/ free shipping

The Ram site I saw has it at 43.62 w/ unknown shipping

Here is a question. My concern with a windshield suction mount would heat during the summer months. Any concerns with it being exposed to direct sunlight on the dash for extended periods of time....such as long road trips, or other periods of extended time such as parked with you in the vehicle..etc? (I say that assuming if you were to leave your vehicle parked somewhere "unattended", you would remove the unit for anti-theft purposes and such.)

Voyager

Here is a question. My concern with a windshield suction mount would heat during the summer months. Any concerns with it being exposed to direct sunlight on the dash for extended periods of time....such as long road trips, or other periods of extended time such as parked with you in the vehicle..etc? (I say that assuming if you were to leave your vehicle parked somewhere "unattended", you would remove the unit for anti-theft purposes and such.)

I suspect the scanner can take at least as much as you can. :D

But seriously, heat and electronics are not a good mix. Never have been.

KE0GXN

I use the double socket mount on a suction platform.

I suspect you run off the rechargeable batteries with that mount? I don't see the supplied USB cable reaching the dash....

Been debating which way to go. I like the suction cup mount because it allows for easy monitoring while driving since it is at eye level, verus having to glance down with the cupholder mount, but I like the abilty to use the USB cable and run on externel power.......decisions...decisions. :(

Voyager

I see a cigar lighter connection with wire running out (presumably to the HP-x not shown in the pic).

VERY nice install, BTW, Dave!

KE0GXN

Hence the reason I am leaning towards mounting it down low, i.e. cup holder mount. But, I want the convenience of not having to glance down to see who I am receiving. Looks like a compromise will have to be done one way or the other :(

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I suspect you run off the rechargeable batteries with that mount? I don't see the supplied USB cable reaching the dash....

Been debating which way to go. I like the suction cup mount because it allows for easy monitoring while driving since it is at eye level, verus having to glance down with the cupholder mount, but I like the abilty to use the USB cable and run on externel power.......decisions...decisions. :(
I use an old coiled cell phone adapter, works just fine. I also have a disc mounted to the dash mid way to the floor for low profile monitoring as well. I prefer the near eye level though, easier to see and operate.

KE0GXN

I use an old coiled cell phone adapter, works just fine. I also have a disc mounted to the dash mid way to the floor for low profile monitoring as well. I prefer the near eye level though, easier to see and operate.

I am tentatively going to put the Ram double socket cup mount on the Christmas list. The thought of running a power cable, antenna cable and at times the GPS cables up to my dash are pushing me towards dealing with the inconvenience of having to glance down instead....

Status
Not open for further replies.