What does ***priority interupt* mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I get this all the time, flashing on my PRO197 screen. When this happens, the scanner basically just begins scanning the NEXT trunked system in the scan list. I have PRI enabled, and a selection of TRUNKED ONLY priority talkgroups. I have never had ***priority interupt*** shown followed by reception of any selected priority talkgroups, just the annoying end of hearing what was being heard,a dn a continuation onto the next trunked system. Come to think of it, I can't remember ever having the scanner GO TO a priority talkgroup that was being heard on a secondary scanner.

Am I missing something here?

Paul

GeneseeCoMI

I get this all the time, flashing on my PRO197 screen. When this happens, the scanner basically just begins scanning the NEXT trunked system in the scan list. I have PRI enabled, and a selection of TRUNKED ONLY priority talkgroups. I have never had ***priority interupt*** shown followed by reception of any selected priority talkgroups, just the annoying end of hearing what was being heard,a dn a continuation onto the next trunked system. Come to think of it, I can't remember ever having the scanner GO TO a priority talkgroup that was being heard on a secondary scanner.

Am I missing something here?

Paul

Here's a good explanation:

Easier to read Pro 106/197 Manual: Priority scanning

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
TGRP's interupt is checked off in my scanner. Also saw the following...

"It will not check for IDs when receiving any other talkgroup."

The point of priority is to check for a priority talkgroup while receiving any other talkgroup. Seems like "priority" in these GRE models simply means that pri marked talkgroups will be checked first, not prioritized during receive. Explains the lack of cut-over like my Motorolas or unidens.

Paul

GeneseeCoMI

TGRP's interupt is checked off in my scanner. Also saw the following...

"It will not check for IDs when receiving any other talkgroup."

The point of priority is to check for a priority talkgroup while receiving any other talkgroup. Seems like "priority" in these GRE models simply means that pri marked talkgroups will be checked first, not prioritized during receive. Explains the lack of cut-over like my Motorolas or unidens.

Paul

Yes I've always hated that too. Defeats the purpose pretty much. I "fixed" it by making the ones marked as priority into favorite objects as well. Then when I press the FAV button all I receive is them. Good for when all I want to hear is 911 dispatch talkgroups

Last edited:

Voyager

Trunked priority on a passive device like a scanner works differently (by necessity) than it does on an active device like a system radio. On the system radio, it can tell the system to advise if a priority TG is active. On a scanner, the best you can do is to hope your priority channels are so defined by a system radio, and act on that data.

Status
Not open for further replies.