USBP clear traffic on IWN site 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

code3kid

Today for the first time i finally received traffic on the only IWN site in Chelan county (46 Burch Mountain) I started receiving clear traffic (and enc) on voice freq 171.4625 TG:33DC from an unknown agency saying stuff like "im watching 3 cars full of Chinese" "are you seeing anything on the camera?" "what was the subjects description again?" "im gona head downrange and see if i see anything downtown" etc. to an encrypted dispatcher. I then checked the RR database and 33DC is listed a USBP Blaine dispatch. I found this interesting because i am quite a ways from Whatcom county so my guess is a BP agent today just happened to be traveling through my area with their radio affiliated with that talkgroup so the Burch Mtn site started transmitting that talkgroup.

Thoughts, comments, questions?

DickH

Today for the first time i finally received traffic on the only IWN site in Chelan county (46 Burch Mountain) I started receiving clear traffic (and enc) on voice freq 171.4625 TG:33DC from an unknown agency saying stuff like "im watching 3 cars full of Chinese" "are you seeing anything on the camera?" "what was the subjects description again?" "im gona head downrange and see if i see anything downtown" etc. to an encrypted dispatcher. I then checked the RR database and 33DC is listed a USBP Blaine dispatch. I found this interesting because i am quite a ways from Whatcom county so my guess is a BP agent today just happened to be traveling through my area with their radio affiliated with that talkgroup so the Burch Mtn site started transmitting that talkgroup.

Thoughts, comments, questions?

It is not good practice to quote word for word what you hear.

code3kid

There was a moderate contingent of CBP personnel (Honor Guard, mostly) in Wenatchee today for the memorial service.
Well that would answer the question. The radio in the vehicle they brought was probably on USBP Blaine Disp.

Thanks Wilrobnson!

SCPD

QRT
It doesn't matter. What you did was illegal, although it is seldom enforced.

Of course on this web site it IS enforced and you will be chained and shackled in the town square at dawn tomorrow.

DickH will whip you with long strands of finely woven cotton candy until his heart is content (or until he gets bored.)

What's a little public whipping along with public shaming these days... :roll:

Baker845

Dick,
what state or federal criminal code does what he posted fall under? I would look stuff up and back up what you stay. Last i checked its not illegal to say what you hear on the scanner. Its best not to report stuff said on the scanner.

beastieboy101

Can you point out which section? I skimmed the 333 page document (https://transition.fcc.gov/Reports/1934new.pdf) and didn't see anything right off.

FCC site appears down. Found the Communications Act of 1934 here Communications Act of 1934

It is under Section 605.

"UNAUTHORIZED PUBLICATION OF COMMUNICATIONS

SEC. 605. No person receiving or assisting in receiving, or transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof, except through authorized channels of transmission or reception, to any person other than the addressee, his agent, or attorney, or to a person employed or authorized to forward such communication to its destination, or to proper accounting or distributing officers of the various communicating centers over which the communication may be passed, or to the master of a ship under whom he is serving, or in response to a subpoena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction, or on demand of other lawful authority; and no person not being authorized by the sender shall intercept any communication and divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such intercepted communication to any person; and no person not being entitled thereto shall receive or assist in receiving any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio and use the same or any information therein contained for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto; and no person having received such intercepted communication or having become acquainted with the contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of the same or any part thereof, or use the same or any information therein contained for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto: Provided, That this section shall not apply to the receiving, divulging, publishing, or utilizing the contents of any radio communication broadcast, or transmitted by amateurs or others for the use of the general public, or relating to ships in distress. "

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
FCC site appears down. Found the Communications Act of 1934 here Communications Act of 1934

It is under Section 605.

"UNAUTHORIZED PUBLICATION OF COMMUNICATIONS

SEC. 605. No person receiving or assisting in receiving, or transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof, except through authorized channels of transmission or reception, to any person other than the addressee, his agent, or attorney, or to a person employed or authorized to forward such communication to its destination, or to proper accounting or distributing officers of the various communicating centers over which the communication may be passed, or to the master of a ship under whom he is serving, or in response to a subpoena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction, or on demand of other lawful authority; and no person not being authorized by the sender shall intercept any communication and divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such intercepted communication to any person; and no person not being entitled thereto shall receive or assist in receiving any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio and use the same or any information therein contained for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto; and no person having received such intercepted communication or having become acquainted with the contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of the same or any part thereof, or use the same or any information therein contained for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto: Provided, That this section shall not apply to the receiving, divulging, publishing, or utilizing the contents of any radio communication broadcast, or transmitted by amateurs or others for the use of the general public, or relating to ships in distress. "

Well in that case, you might as well remove the "Breaking News" section that every state has if we aren't allowed to post what we hear.

charlieone

No person receiving or assisting in receiving, or transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio...

...this section shall not apply to the receiving, divulging, publishing, or utilizing the contents of any radio communication broadcast, or transmitted by amateurs or others for the use of the general public...

Interesting. However the communication described was neither interstate nor foreign, Also, the last line says the section doesn't apply to receiving, divulging, etc for the use of the general public which seems to negate the entire section in this case.

Last edited:

charlieone

See also Title 18 USC Chapter 119 Sections 2510 (definitions) and Section 25111 (Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited)
OLRC Home

Okay... except for this part:
" It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title for any person-
(i) to intercept or access an electronic communication made through an electronic communication system that is configured so that such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general public;
(ii) to intercept any radio communication which is transmitted-
(I) by any station for the use of the general public, or that relates to ships, aircraft, vehicles, or persons in distress;
(II) by any governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile, or public safety communications system, including police and fire, readily accessible to the general public;
(III) by a station operating on an authorized frequency within the bands allocated to the amateur, citizens band, or general mobile radio services; or
(IV) by any marine or aeronautical communications system;"

Status
Not open for further replies.